Bill Bixby (1934 - 1993)

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by emm1978, Nov 22, 2018.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +55
    DIED ON THIS DAY... 25 YEARS AGO...

Bill Bixby (1934 - 1993).

One of the most professional actors on American TV, best known for his powerful portrayal of Dr. David Banner in The Incredible Hulk.

bill-bixby.png
    51PMM0dqImL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    He had an incredibly tragic life by all accounts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Barbara Belle of The Ball

Barbara Belle of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,787
    I used to dip in and out of the Incredible Hulk and always seem to remember that I used to cry at some epiosdes as it seemed so sad as he would leave and continue on his way on that lonely road

Was never sure how his shirts went back into shape tho!!!!

I remember reading something in the 80s that his wife and son both died (did she commit suicide?) and he died a young man from cancer

Im not sure why but I always used to muddle him up with Barry Newman who played Petrochelli

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    I was TERRIFIED of the Hulk as a child. I couldn't see his good side, only the scary hair and eyes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    I always liked Bill Bixby, from My Favourite Martian to The Courtship of Eddie's Father and The Magician and of course The Incredible Hulk. Then there was the short-lived sitcom Goodnight, Beantown co-starring Mariette Hartley who had co-starred with him as a tragic love interest in a feature-length Hulk episode that was released theatrically as Bride of the Incredible Hulk.

The Incredible Hulk had a lot in common with The Fugitive. It could have come across as quite absurd but there was a real depth of feeling, largely due to Bixby's performance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    Yes. His young son died suddenly and his ex-wife committed suicide a year later. It just seemed to be one thing after another.

Funnily enough, there's something about him that always used to remind me of Patrick Duffy. I think it was because there's a very specific presence to him on screen. A little intense but also very charismatic and charming.

And probably the dark bouffant.

Same here. I was a complete wuss when I was a child and so easy to scare. Friends knew if they wanted a laugh they just had to whisper "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" and watch me freak out.

My relationship with The Incredible Hulk was one of terrified fascination - like the Doctor Who stereotype of watching it from behind the sofa. I always used to watch Hulk from between my fingers and if I caught a glimpse of those contact lenses then it was guaranteed I wouldn't want to go to bed for a week. But then I'd still be there the following week wanting to watch the next episode.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    Married was a rivetting episode, and Mariette earned her Emmy award for that episode. Some years ago I bought a DVD which had the Pilot episode and Married and could not believe how intelligently written they were.

Off the back of this I bought the DVD box set but unfortunately only made it a little way into the second season and my found some if it a battle. I hope to revisit it at some point with an open mind and lowered expectations.

So many things I have yet to watch. :oops:

Absolutely. And Kenneth Johnson kept it real.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    One of my favorite things to see that he was in is the fourth-season episode of The Streets of San Francisco called "Police Buff," OAD Thursday Jan. 8, 1976 on ABC, in which he was Eric Doyle, the titular "police buff" who killed those who were paroled or released on technicalities or had their cases otherwise dismissed.

From YouTube:

9. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    What a great performance.

10. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,582
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I watched only a few "Hulk" episodes but I remember to like Bixby´s performance. I enjoyed him more in his flawed character from the "Rich Man Poor Man" miniseries, twice praiseworthy because that was a really impeccable cast.

11. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,799
    The first saw Bill Bixby in the series The Magician which was a really good show and a real pity it didn't run for longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1