Doctor Who Billie Piper - It's time for a female Doctor

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Sarah, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Medals:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38801228

Former Doctor Who actress Billie Piper has said it is time for a woman to take on the role of the famous Time Lord.

Peter Capaldi has announced he is stepping down from the lead role in the BBC sci-fi series at the end of the year.

Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler, said it would "feel like a snub" if the role didn't go to a woman.

"I've always supported the original format but I don't know where they can go from here," she told the BBC.

"I think it would be great [to have a female Doctor] given the spirit of the world at the moment. I think it would be timely".

But she said taking on the role herself was too much responsibility.

"I don't know," she said. "It's a lot of work. It would be a lot of time in Cardiff."

Piper was speaking at the Critics' Circle Theatre Awards in London where she won the award for best actress for her role in the play Yerma at London's Young Vic.

Piper, who played a young woman driven to extremes by her desire to have a child, will reprise her role at the same theatre in July and August.

Capaldi, who plays the 12th Doctor, will return for a new series of the show in April, with his final episode shown at Christmas.

His final series also marks the departure of lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,751
    I've really stopped caring about Who these days, far too many actors are quitting with even less episodes to carry it forward. It's a real shame because I've loved most of the new era.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,497
    Medals:
    A female Doctor would be interesting and fun, but the idea that it has to be a woman is a bit of a drag. So long as it's the right person - old, young, black, white, man, woman - that's all that matters.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    I'm not a great Doctor Who fan - I watch when there are new episodes at a convenient time - but it does seem to me that the regenerations have become too frequent. It used to be a much bigger deal when it the star would leave. Now there seems to be an expectation of a limited tenure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Medals:
    Well, Peter Capaldi has suggested Frances de la Tour for the role!!

[​IMG]

6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    Medals:
    The doc can change appearance, voice, age etc etc. Why not gender? It wouldn't be a stretch.

7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,497
    Medals:
    I came up with the genius idea of Phoebe Waller-Bridge. At least, I thought it was my genius idea. Apparently, she's already considered the ideal choice but probably won't do it cos Fleabag.

[​IMG]

Also apparently, the role's been offered to the same black actor every time there's been a regeneration, but he's always said no.

She'd be lovely, but probably too old. Not too old to be the Doctor, but to withstand the full-on nine-month shooting schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,751
    The more I think about this, the more excited I become at the idea of a female Doctor. Maybe this could renew my faith in the show.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    I know there have been male companions in the past but I'm wondering if the new (apparently solo) male is a precursor to the very thing we're speculating about here.

10. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Medals:
    Oh! I'm due to encounter her again in March.

11. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Medals:
    honestly i dunno if it's a good idea or not but than i don't at the moment really care weather or not if it's a woman or not. i prefer for it to be a man but than if it's got the right casting and the right writers who knows maybe i could be wrong. i have no idea who i'd pick or not but than i also never heard of Matt Smith or hell even Peter Capaldi before he was cast. that's not a crack either cause i like it that way, though Peter Capaldi did remind me of Hugh Laurie in House again not a crack either cause i love that show.

i do agree on one thing though the doctors of today seem to not last longer than 3 years and one can say that most of the original were like that and you'd be right but they also had more episodes under their belt as well. and the 3 yrs seems to fly too fast i think. i wasn't a fan or hell i never even heard of Doctor who during it's original run so it may have felt the same too. but than again they were making more episodes than 13 as well back than too. or these days 12 episodes