Blake raped Krystle

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by tommie, Feb 13, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    I feel we need to make this clear: Blake raped Krystle.

I've seen some posts suggesting that Krystle "let it happen" - no it was rape.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Just re-watched Season 1 a few weeks ago. Krystle was kicking and screaming while saying NO! and STOP! Doesn't seem to me like she was just laying there and enjoying it.

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    A lot of people have a problem with this happening, including I suspect the Shapiros.

I think they regretted it almost after filming the scene, but it was very topical as "marital rape" really wasn't discussed openly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,483
    Medals:
    JR also raped Sue Ellen on Dallas if I recall. And people justified it by saying it was just frisky fun, I found that kind of disturbing. Then again DYNASTY seemed to go out of it's way to trivialise rape. I'd rather not go there as it's all so dumb.

Ok I'll go there. They kind of suggested that Kirby was asking for it and then they even had her fall in love with Adam after the fact. I just cant. Then they have Fallon almost raped by a drunk stranger only to be saved by Miles. Only to some time later be raped by Miles. And they also have Fallon claim her brother raped her.

Rape seemed to be a word picked out of a hat when they needed a new stunt story. Ya know like Incest, Hostile Takeover, South China Sea Leases, and Steven is Gay.

• Like Like x 6
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    Yes, both Blake and J.R. raped their wives (J.R., in particular, raped or threatened to rape several women). There is absolutely no denying it. The shows may have subsequently ignored it (DALLAS) or tried to retcon it (DYNASTY) by justifying it and labeling it "rough love" or something like that, but that doesn't excuse some viewers' denials. The most horrifying justifications, of course, being from J.R. and Sue Ellen stans, who are attracted to Larry Hagman, so naturally can't possibly admit to idolizing the couple when there's been a rape involved. It's particularly disturbing that most of those viewers are also women.

• Like Like x 3
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    I'll admit I have no memory of JR raping Sue Ellen, but maybe it wasn't as brutal as Blake raping Krystle. It sticks out in my mind because there's no doubt Krystle was raped.

I tend to remember the season one episode where Sue Ellen was almost raped by those men too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,693
    Medals:
    Every season should begin with Blake raping Krystle and end with Alexis killing the baby. Over and over.

What sin, one wonders, did Krystle commit in a former life?

• Like Like x 3
  8. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    It depends on what you interpret as brutal. It wasn't graphic or anything, but it involved J.R. pining Sue Ellen under him on the bed, holding her hand down, her struggling to get away and saying "I don't want you," and having a pained expression as he did his thing. Of course, in the end they implied she "gave in" and her passion took over, which is the only room for interpretation.

It was also the day she conceived John Ross.

Check it out from 3:00 onwards

• Like Like x 4
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    Oh I recall it now even without watching the video! Yeah, it's not as brutal as Blake raping Krystle, but still pretty bad.

I can't believe how many women try to paint it prettier than it is.

10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    Also, Dynasty did (eventually) acknowledge it during the Rita storyline out of all things.

There was a brief scene where Blake does. I do think they should've acknowledged it during the Kirby drama, but that would've meant the show was paying close attention to history.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,483
    Medals:
    Doesn't Blake scold Adam for raping Kirby though? That's awkward...

• Like Like x 2
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    Yeah, but he never goes as far as confirming his own rape. It only happens during the Rita storyline.

• Like Like x 3
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    Blake sort-of referred to this in 2x02 about not wanting another child. Forgot about that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    Yes, there was that. He seemed to, from what I recall, express regret over his actions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +250
    Well, it was rape. But the fact that B&K stayed together the entire show creates a need, from the fans of the couple, to justify his actions. But it was rape. I can't decide weather Krystle was mad or just weak to stay with him after that.
    It's obvious that Blake didn't think of it as rape in the sense of a brutal crime, more of a "drunk mishap".

Kind of disturbing relationship, even though I still love them..

• Like Like x 4
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    Yeah, a lot of people trivialise it, along with JRs constant abuse of Sue Ellen on Dallas, to justify rooting for them because the actors tended to have great chemistry as scene partners. As I said, I suspect the Shapiros really did regret it and if nuDynasty makes it to the air, I don't see them doing it again. I also don't believe that marital rape was illegal in every state in the US at the time.

Then add how the show progressed into making rape a stunt story, quickly forgotten after the sweeps period...

Also, isn't it odd how often rape lead into some sort of pregnancy story - Krystle / Blake, Sue Ellen / JR, Miles / Fallon (though the baby wasn't his), Kirby / Adam...

• Like Like x 5
  17. Zara

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +250
    I never watched Dallas apart from some episodes. But I know J.R. treated Sue Ellen like shit.

Rape stories were used to causally, it became normalized by the writers. And the victims(the women) never seemed to think about it as an actual crime. As long as the man apologized and bettered himself, everything was happy, happy home.

When Adam finds out Kirby is pregnant as a result of the rape, he says, sitting on the stairs with torment in his eyes: "I didn't know". Well, so what?
    And Blake buys flowers for Krystle after the rape.
    Hmm, I wonder if the writers thought "Rape!" when they created the plots, or if their intention was just "trouble between spouses" that manifested itself in violence/sex?

• Like Like x 4
  18. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    I know I've gone on the record of saying that maybe Krystle "let it happen", but I never meant that to justify Blake's actions - but rather to justify Krystle *staying* with him. Where Blake is concerned, it was rape. But where Krystle is concerned, she didn't consider it rape, and so therefore, she forgave him and stayed with him. Or at least that's just my headcanon on the matter.

I certainly hope not, that they won't do something like that again.

I'm reminded of the time on GossipGirl when everyone was going into a rage when Chuck raped Blair... except he actually *didn't*. What he did was push her down onto a chair during a drunken rage and then punched a hole in a glass wall, which nicked her cheek, before she ran out of the room. And yet, after that episode aired, I remember seeing a lot of people online getting upset and articles saying "Is Hollywood glamorizing rape?" I was befuddled and annoyed, because Chuck *didn't* rape or even attack (though your mileage may vary on the second one) Blair! Its amazing how sensitive people have become these days. I'd hate for the same thing to happen with B&K.

Except Krystle walked out on Blake *several* times over the course of the series, and both Kirby and Fallon ended up leaving Adam and Miles for good, respectively. Albeit for different reasons, but still... (And yes, Kirby did end up with Adam in The Reunion, but I think that depends on whether you consider The Reunion to be canon. ;))

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zara

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +250
    Actually, I was referring to myself, mostly. But it was rape from her husband. Maybe, as you say, K didn't think of it as RAPE, and therefore stayed with him.

True. I meant more "the morning after" reaction from the victims. How Kirby even wanted to be in the same room as Adam after what he did is sick. Let alone agreeing to marry him. And no one ever mentioned the police.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zara

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +250
    Didn't Luke rape Laura in a day time soap? And their love/relationship was highly regarded by the fans. I don't know which soap, though.

What is it with soaps and the concept of rape?!