Blake raped Krystle

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by tommie, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Should Krystle have slapped Blake the day after the rape?
    She was so mellow.

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    I just saw the scene (Blake & Krystle), and no, there is no doubt about it. It was rape. Blake was a total jackass back then. Homophobic rapist.
    How could I have remembered him as such a good guy?!?! :confused::eek:

And how could soaps have been so trivial about rape back then??? A few years ago, Game of Thrones viewers were crying rape when Jaime had sex with Cercei in front of their dead son Joffrey. That came as a surprise to the crew & the actors involved, because they didn't play it as rape.
    But it proves that viewers today draw the line somewhere elsewhere than viewers used to. Maybe a little too much sometimes though, as I never saw the Jaime/Cercei scene as rape. More like 2 grieving parents trying to kill the pain for a little while (in a really bizarre place).

• Like Like x 4
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,586
    Medals:
    I've never watched the show but wasn't it General Hospitals?
    I only know this because Elizabeth Taylor did a guest stint on that show in the 1980s as well. ;)

Then as for the original topic, yes Blake raped Krystle. It's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of their relationship because I watched it from the beginning and I liked her better with Matthew. I think a reason I find their scene in particularly disgusting is because they had been arguing about her being on the pill right before and he took away her birth control and raped her. It was just disgusting. :(

People who love Krystle and Blake tend to justify that scene or just forget about it.

I can't forget about it and it's one of the reasons why I think Blake and Alexis was a better match since he could be just as bad as she was. They clearly deserved each other.

Then as for JR/SE, I think the reason I look at their scene differently is because Sue Ellen had been begging JR to sleep with her for a long time and he just wasn't interested and in this scene it was like she finally realized that the only way she could make him want her was by telling him she didn't want him since that turned him on!
    I know it's sick. But I think there's room to interpret the scene like that.

Regardless of how you interpret it though the look she gave him afterwards really says it all. She felt degraded with the way he had been treating her and probably blamed herself for it.

But yes JR was a rapist too. He actually raped a lot of women during the show's run. There's no denying that. :(

Then as for spousal rape, I think the way we look at it in society has changed since the late 70's/early 80's as then it was not considered a crime. Today it is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zara

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Did the writers make a mistake putting the rape scene in B&K:s relationship? If the knew that Blake and Krystle would be together the entire show, maybe the script had been different. Anther reason to only have writers on the team that were actual fans of the show, and cared about the characters.

It only seems bizarre to have Blake rape Krystle when you sum up Dynasty.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    these were the original writers, so the later writers may not have known about the rape at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Rape was taken perfectly seriously at the time. And when Luke raped Laura, and then she later married him on GENERAL HOSPITAL, there was a significant outcry.

People did seem to have a harder time 36 years ago determining how they would process the topic of marital rape, and I rarely recall it being discussed back then. But there are couples who are able to get around a violent incident, even if others would disapprove, and go on with their lives and their relationship. And Blake and Krystle were likely that kind of couple. I'm fine with them showing that and not going hog wild over the issue beyond how Blake and Krystle chose to handle it privately. Blake's apology the next day didn't seem disingenuous, so it wasn't necessary that the character be censured by the FCC.

Today, of course, we take rape so seriously that it doesn't even have to actually happen!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,738
    Medals:
    I think soaps had a lot of those moments that were important at the time it happened, but couldn't dominate the entire story.
    These tv characters did and said horrible things to each other, well it usually doesn't take that much for a real family to fall apart.
    But you can't have a soap with characters avoiding each other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    Medals:
    I also think that people forget that marital rape wasn't illegal in all States in the US back then - it wasn't at least until the early part of the 1990s! Maybe they were legit trying to raise an issue around it? Or am I giving them too much credit again?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zara

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +249
    The rape truly manifested Blake's need to always be in control, and treat everybody around him as his property. Andrew mentions this to Blake when Krystle had left him and moved into La Mirage - "She left you because you treated her like, like a possession."

Power and wealth become addictive, I guess. Blake was a man who wanted everything in its place, but at the same time his feelings for Krystle was totally new to him, and made him go more bananas than usual. The fact that Krystle wasn't a vindictive and scheming person eventuality made him realize there was no need to treat her "like an enemy" who sooner or later was going to stab him in the back. Though, the necklace thing was a tricky one.

And we, the audience, never got to know just how much Alexis' doings to him reflected his, at times, jack ass behavior towards Krystle. Though Blake talks about his business man mentality pre-Krystle with Virginia when Krystle is sick.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    It was probably some weird, creepy sex game that went on between Blake and Krystle: she comes home from a night out with the girls, an inebriated Blake "finds" her birth control pills, she attempts to escape his "wrath" by running to the door, and he pretends to drag her over to the bed (since he could never overpower her in real life) and "rapes" her as she squeals, "No no noooo!"

And since Cecil suggested it, he comes in a few minutes later and sodomizes both of them, unable to follow his own recommendations to figure out what his partners want "and then not give it to them."

[​IMG]

I think ABC deleted some of this stuff.

11. Zara

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +249
    I couldn't find a proper thread...

Do you hate me if I tell you, guys, I cried when I realized Krystle was in a coma and had left the show?:(:(:(
    And why is it every time I'm tipsy I find myself watching Dynasty and missing the olden days? (even though I'm too young to remember the show in its glorious days).

Dynasty sure had a lot more potential, but we, fans, must be happy with the drama squeezed out of the rag that were the writers. The option could've been no Dynasty at all!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Medals:
    Why should anyone on here hate you for that?
    When i first watched S9 and realized that Krystle was gone for good, i cried my eyes out and was a mess for days!
    And then after S9 when they announced that it was the end of the show i felt like my heart was ripped and torn for weeks, it was some serious heartache for quite a while, comparable to a broken relationship, as crazy as that might sound.
    And that never really stopped even up until today ... just learned to live with it.
    So as you can see, i'm a very devoted Dynasty fan as well, it will always be my #1 show.:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,989
    Medals:
    No!! When Sue Ellen was kidnapped by BD Calhoun I was an emotional wreck for a week until I made sure she was ok!

• Like Like x 1