Bliss's fabulous 80s room

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by tommie, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    And you didn't like it?

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Not at all. The first season I saw out of sync--the network that aired DYNASTY aired it after DYNASTY's sixth season, because there was no way a state-run monopoly would run both concurrently (and I am not sure they could even achieve it--did ANYONE in Europe saw it as it was supposed to?) I was interested in it as a concept because I was such a DYNASTY fan, season 6A aside, but it quickly lost me and most storylines were just dreary. I did not mind Miles Colby one bit though.
    The second time I had to sit through the awful first season again since I had blocked it out of my mind except for how ridiculous the Connie and her cowboy story were. Then the second season I admit was good enough I looked forward to seeing new episodes as they aired, but it still needed A LOT to be fixed. But I would have watched a third season, whereas I had to force myself to go through the first season both times.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Well as I big Dynasty fan myself I have to say I loved The Colbys. Especially more than dreary Dynasty season 7 and 8. Stephanie Beacham carried the whole thing though and she does it wonderfully. It's like she and Charlton Heston know they are playing out a 1950s and '60s melodrama and they really go for it. Likely because the producers/runners Husan and Bast told them exactly that. One of them had worked as an art director/set designer for Fox in the 1960s. I think they did one or a few Ross Hunter films which is I guess why the sets of The Colbys just looked so much better, generally.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JeffUSA

JeffUSA Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +37
    This was the set designers attempt at the Memphis style that was at its peak in the 1980s. They could have done a much better job. The timing of this original post is ironic, as the Memphis Milano style is on many design trend watch lists.
    Modern.jpg tumblr_nvm3g6H55t1qba4xbo1_500.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    And who could forget the 1980s airbrush decoration (I had these kind of school dairies and exercise books, apparently it wasn't for boys but I found them so pretty)
    [​IMG]
    I decorated the inside of the diary with pictures and clippings of soap stars, mostly Dynasty because they looked so glamorous.
    Oh and I also had those pens with perfumed ink. I had to "import" them from another city but they smelled so delicious!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Were you beaten up much? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,981
    If only they'd brought in Bast and Huson to take over DYNASTY once (or even before) THE COLBYS folded, to save the parent series from The Pollocks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    No. Why?

9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Oh no reason, just wondering. *Goes back to listening to Steptacular.

• Funny Funny x 2