Bobby after Pam

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Victoriafan3, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    I've discovered similar situations. And to think these were GOD fearing people. :lolo:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    Ray was the foreman at Southfork, when he was seeing Pam. Bobby was the son of Ray's boss! The fact that Bobby and Pam ended up together wasn't odd, IMO! :) When it turned out that Jock had fathered both Ray and Bobby (thus making them half brothers), didn't (and shouldn't) change anything between Bobby/Pam/Ray. If they'd known that they were close related beforehand, they would have done things differently, I'm sure! ;)

I pretty much feel the same way about Ray and Lucy! If they knew then, what they know now, then they wouldn't have taken a roll in the hay in the first place! You can't go back! What's done is done! And it shouldn't influence their current half uncle / half niece relationship! :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Possibly. But I only suggested Holly may have worked better since we had history with her. After Bobby spun in that shower the character of Pam had been watered down..then Victoria leaves for good. Re-introducing a past character like Holly may have given Dallas the injection it needed and judging by comments on these threads most thought Holly was a wicked/horrible woman. I believe placing her right smack in the middle of Southfork could have made for interesting viewing. In a way it was a throw-back to how Dallas began. Bobby brings home a wife no one is going to like especially JR and Sue Ellen. It would have changed the dynamics of the family.

Imagine the pre-dinner drinks scenes at Southfork.

4. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    I just cannot imagine Bobby (or anyone else) being caught in this Holly Harwood "spiderweb", sorry! :hiding:

We have to come up with a different plan! :) Cowboy/cattle/Southfork-ish storylines incorporated into the overall episodes was definitely something that I missed in the last five seasons of Dallas! Also, family meals (and pre-dinner drinks) was something that I really missed in the later seasons! :)

5. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    I said Bobby pretended to be a saint in this case. When I refer to him being a saint though, I am doing so in a sarcastic manner and silently referring to the fact that the characters thought he could no wrong, and whenever he was rude, violent, didn't play by the rules, or became a hypocrite, the characters almost always immediately forgave him and/or forgot it ever happened. Same thing with his playboy years that were referenced in the early seasons.

I have taken a college course in Anthropology in college during my sophomore year and have not heard of this rule that you speak of. However, in a way, it does remind me of something else I learned in the class. There are situations when arranged marriages are uncomfortable for couples whose parents have made them spend a lot of time together since they were children. It can make you feel like you are marrying your own sibling when you have practically been raised together! In-laws or ex-partners of siblings can be a whole different ball game, though. Especially if a person has not spent a lot of time with that person. It is not something that is like incest.

But I am sure that a lot of people would agree with you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if Cidre might have forgotten that they were related at some point! It reminds me of that old thread I saw before the forum blew up where someone asked "Why are Lucy and Ray always together!?" Why indeed!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    Ray and Lucy are lucky that they didn't end up having any kids! (shudder!)

8. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    As interesting as that situation might have been, I couldn't see Bobby with Holly, either. After Pam, he only wanted boring women.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    There should have at least been a scene where Ray and Lucy both immediately ran for the bathroom and puked their guts out after Jock revealed to everyone that Ray was his son.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Funny how this story often comes up with the actors and writers of Dallas. The moment it's discovered Ray is Jock's son no one dares mention the relationship between Ray and Lucy. And we never did re-visit that hay loft again.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    I guess they were worried that it was a topic that was too inappropriate to mention on the show.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Especially in those days. A show in this age would have Lucy pregnant,Ray beaten to a pulp by Jock and an abortion storyline,as well as Ray arrested for underage sex/satitutory rape. Not a Dallas storyline but would probably work in another show.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    The Bold and The Beautiful?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    This is why I created the scenario of Holly returning to Dallas after Pam flees since Victoria's absence left a huge void. I'll admit Lois may not have been in Victoria's league when it came to beauty but I found Lois intoxicating, perhaps it was in the eyes, much like Morgan Brittany.

Holly's point of difference to the other Dallas women was her knowledge of the oil business and having her return with an ulterior "spiderweb" motive would have made for interesting viewing rather than watching Bobby and "wet as lettuce" April. By this stage I was over the women meeting Bobby and fainting in his presence - pass the smelling salts. And why did the writers feel the need to have J.R., bed the ladies that were seriously wishing to share the sheets with Bobby?

After Victoria (Pam) leaves Dallas it clearly becomes the J.R. & Bobby Ewing Show and that quickly became tedious. Watching Act II of Dallas is a weird experience. When Dallas begins both sexes appear strong (Sue Ellen to a lesser extent) however (post "Dream Season" reveal) the women revert to their traditional duties of arm trophies.

Having Holly return and worming her way into the Ewing family, Southfork and Ewing Oil certainly would have kept J.R. on his toes rather than the clown he became.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    It sounds a lot more interesting than the whole thing with women acting like Bobby is the ONLY answer for them to have a perfect life and fainting in his presence like you said! That got old from day one! And there is the fact that unlike all of the Bobby fan club members in the post-Pam era, Lois Chiles could actually act! Don't care if she wasn't in the same league beauty-wise as Mary Crosby, Morgan Brittany, and Victoria Principal. We needed entertainment more than ever at that point! Just imagine JR trying to keep a feud with Holly secret while she was with Bobby!

• Like Like x 2
  16. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I really like your outline for a Holly storyline. It would have made a much more interesting continuation on TNT than inventing bland nobody cares about Annie Get Your Gun to marry Bobby off to.

My sense is that the writers envisioned it as a competition on J.R.'s part. He wanted to stay one step ahead of Bobby in the boardroom and the bedroom. Once Holly told him, "If I wanted a deal that included sex J.R., I'd have asked your brother Bobby.", his nose was out of joint and he basically forced himself on her. And he used Katherine once he knew she was after Bobby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Kind of bizarre how the writers thought that was acceptable behavior. If Pam had not fallen off the hay loft when dealing with a drunk JR it makes me shudder where that scene was going. JR was acting like a wild animal having to spray his love juice over his conquests in order to keep any competition (Bobby) away.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    I agree. I understand other soap-chat posters had issues with the character, however isn't that the whole point of watching TV Shows? It's characters like Holly that would have us return. She had been burned by JR and fell foul of Bobby's goody two shoes personality so she had good reason to get even with the Ewing family. She may have had a soft spot for Bobby but I would have enjoyed a hardened Holly, pent up with so much anger and revenge against JR she doesn't care that she will use Bobby to do it.

Would have also been interesting watching Bobby placed in such a position of not knowing Holly's real agenda plus the added benefit would be Sue Ellen's reaction. She knew better than anyone how evil Holly could be and would want to stay at Southfork just to protect John Ross.

19. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    LOL ... ""wet lettuce" April" ... :giggle: As much as I disliked April (and I really did ... even more so after her personality "transformation"), I just cannot see Holly Harwood being the one who could have "saved" Dallas"! New blood was definitely needed, but Holly wasn't it, IMO! (The fact that Holly had bedded JR is just one of many reasons as to why Bobby would never have been romantically involved with her, and why she didn't "deserve" a place at the Ewing dining table).

I didn't like the majority of women that were thrown at Bobby's feet after Victoria's exit. Yes, Bobby was a handsome man, but to see the ladies drooling over him the way that it was written, was just over the top! I did like Kay Lloyd ... she was a woman whom I could have seen Bobby eventually settling down with!

By the time that "Dallas" had turned into a LG and PD show, I had already "checked out", and really only watched the show out of loyalty - each week hoping for improving storylines! The glory years of "Dallas" were when it was a mix of storylines that included both the core cast of women and men! Thus, you're right when you say that "Dallas" needed women who could keep JR and Bobby on their tows!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,604
    I think we had too much new blood - that was part of the problem, too many new characters we didn't care about. More returning characters with a backstory we already had an emotional stake in would have been better.

• Like Like x 2