Bobby after Pam

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Victoriafan3, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Not even the return of Patrick and Barbara Bel Geddes could save Dallas. By then it was all to late. Bad writing, sloppy story arcs and actors who should never have left the casting couch. I don't believe for a moment Holly could have saved Dallas either, but with her history it may have kept the likes of yourself and I around just to see how things panned out.

2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    You're right! :yep: The show began "sinking" because of too many "new" characters (and because the writers/producers didn't recognize how important all the core cast members were to the longtime faithful viewers)! :cry: Looking back, Dallas should have been given a proper closure when the majority of the core characters were still there! :wink@
    But Holly Harwood of all people? :frustration: No thank you! :frustration:

I do like the surprising element in your idea for a storyline. And it could have worked very well on other shows ... but just not Dallas, IMO! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    TPTB just could not make up their minds and,in fact the way he went around on the "Bobby Roadshow" I am surprised they didn't try a public message announcement about sleeping around as there were media scare tactics in that era

4. Kani Kelly

Kani Kelly Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bobby is god's gift to women in Dallas Universe what a joke.

5. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    I fail to see the appeal since I'm not a fan of the unnervingly perfect hero-type.

6. Kani Kelly

Kani Kelly Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same.I like the character but the way he is portrayed at times amazes me.All the ladies pining over him give me break.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    I just felt like too many of the women didn't even really know Bobby as a person before they just decided that he is the best guy ever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Really? April married Jack for money, lied to the judge to get 50% of his income after their divorce, made out with Cliff while he was married to Jamie, and used Jamie's death to get her hands on 5% of Ewing Oil. How is any of that not hateful? And as a Sue Ellen fan, I thought you'd be particularly upset that she slept with JR while he was still married.

April's character was extremely white washed later on, and it came off as insincere to me. She and Bobby were sickeningly sweet together, and it felt forced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    His being super-rich may have had something to do with it. Plus, Bobby wasn't paunchy.

I hated what they later did with April, and her misguided marriage to Bobby -- because Katzman "liked" Wilson -- is symptomatic of how wrong-headed DALLAS got in its closing seasons (and as bad as anything Peter Dunne did with the show when Bobby was ostensibly dead).

People always seem disinterested when I say this, but I really could see Afton with Bobby in the later years of the series: for one thing, there's the built-in conflict of Bobby "taking" Cliff's woman and raising Cliff's daughter, but I can also anticipate a potential chemistry between Duffy and Landers -- plus, Afton's redemption from her initial slutty ways was far more convincing than the shrill, clingy creature April was irritatingly retconned and shoe-horned into.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I’d never thought of that coupling, Afton and Bobby. That could’ve worked. She’d have empathy for Pam as well. Good idea. Still think Phyllis would’ve been lovely too. But April. Absolutely no way

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Exactly. You can't force those changes for the sake of liking the actress. They have to happen organically, like it did with Afton and Cliff.

And even though Afton became "nice," she was still street smart. April just became a sickeningly sweet Julie Andrews wannabe. Her edges were completely filed down, which made her dull. I couldn't bring myself to care when she was gunned down in Paris by Erica Kane's henchmen because I had long grown tired of her. If anything, it felt like a mercy killing.

I never really thought about it before, but Afton and Bobby could have been an interesting pairing. Pity that Bobby was such a douche to her in the new series.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    And yet Katzman perversely cited April's death as "the biggest mistake" he'd ever made in DALLAS' history.

Say what??

To me, my imaginary Bobby-Afton scenario is just a listening to nature thing. I totally see it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    THAT he considers the biggest mistake on the show he ever made??!! Oh dear. No wonder the show withered into an wilted cabbage leaf by the last season or two

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +764
    The real biggest mistake was allowing Victoria Principal to leave.

After Pam Ewing left the show, Dallas was never the same. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Agreed! Because of Holly, Sue Ellen started drinking again, which ultimately lead to Mickey’s death. She deliberately set out to hurt Sue Ellen and then tried to make excuses (“How was I supposed to know she’d go off the deep end!”) for herself. She was sick.

I liked April. I didn’t like her at first because she was a greedy, gold digging opportunist. But after a while she grew on me. She was lonely and just wanted friends, and so she became this sweet, sympathetic character. I thought she had good chemistry with Bobby too. It seemed like he didn’t pay much attention to her for a long time, but then she grew on him.

I was pissed when they wrote April off right after their wedding, but apparently Sheree Wilson wanted to leave. I think she was pregnant.

16. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    "Because of Holly"? Don't you mean because of JR? Sure, Holly played a part here and was a real jerk to just invite Sue Ellen to her house to show her that she was screwing her husband, but it wouldn't have happened at all if JR had just decided to stop being a scumbag and stay faithful to his wife.

• Like Like x 2
  17. markymark

markymark Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I know Patrick and Sheree were buddies but unfortunately that chemistry did not translate on screen. For me the Bobby/ April big romance felt forced and lame, and totally unnatural.

For example when April brought Miss Ellie that glass ice bowl and Ellie had to comment what a lovely person she was. It felt like we were being forced to accept this weird woman as part of the Ewing family.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +127

April also threw herself at Wes Parmalee and was willing to sleep with him in order to help JR (I think that's why she was "befriending" him in some bar). She was really skanky at first, but did become a nicer person. I could see though why people did not like her. I liked her in comparison to Michelle. They almost had to change her personality to have a contrast between the two sisters, and have April be the "good" sister. In defense of Holly, she told Bobby she did not know Sue Ellen was an alcoholic, and I don't think she would have hurt her like that if she had known. She was just trying to get JR out of her life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2018-2-18_21-56-28.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,810
    I loved April, I really did, I prefer her to Pam. But I'd go so far as to say that BOTH the Ewing men went off the rails when the original ladies left. I know it's mainly due to the writing but let's suspend disbelief here for a second - Bobby not going to look for Pam? JR marrying Cally and going round the bend? What happened to both JR and Bobby after Sue Ellen and Pam left was NOT fun.