Bobby after Pam

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Victoriafan3, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +914
    I just read a post, an idea of @NickLundy0911 on here. I thought it was a good one and would have been interesting had they explored it?? After Pam left and after Bobby had mourned properly!! Why not Bobby and Sue Ellen as a couple?? I mean obviously they had thrown Bobby’s ‘I’m not sleeping with you after you slept with JR’ value out the window with April. Bobby and Sue Ellen already had good rapport. They wouldn’t have lost credibility by turning April from sinner to Saint. April could’ve stayed well away from Bobby and Sue Ellen would be 10000 times better than April anyway. And the tension between JR and Bobby, imagine them fighting over Sue Ellen. And the pressure on Bobby and Sue Ellen because of JR. It could’ve kept going better and Linda probably wouldn’t have left??!! I might have stayed and watched that myself!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Figures Bobby would turn into a filthy hypocrite AGAIN if he did this. So Katherine wasn't good enough for him, but he doesn't mind breaking the sister-in-law excuse (total BS since he was divorced from Pam) with Sue Ellen. I have seen this idea mentioned a lot, and I really don't know why this seems to fascinate so many people. JR would still steal the spotlight by throwing a fit here, and honestly, I don't find that entertaining. Plus, how are Sue Ellen and Bobby even a good couple? If she's in one of her more wimpy 1950 housewife phases from the mid-seasons, then I can see how this would play out. Just a lot of back and forth nail biting, guilt, and letting herself get roped in by JR. Not entertaining, in my opinion. But if you're interested, there is a good story on fanfiction.net called Jealousy. It's about Bobby turning into a creepy pervert who is obsessed with Sue Ellen and does stuff like listening to her and JR have sex from behind the other side of their bedroom door.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    JR fell off the wagon before Sue Ellen left the show. Haleyville had already happened BEFORE Sue Ellen had left the show and even while he was technically still married to her right before he and the kid said "I do". I don't understand why you seem to believe that Sue Ellen's departure was responsible for his character decline. Because once Larry Hagman's name appeared in the credits with the production team, it was all over for JR's character, Sue Ellen or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I did too! I think April gets a bad rap on this forum because so many of the people here can't stand the idea of him with any woman other than Pam. I've even seen April described as weak or whiny by people who idealize Pam even though Pam's reaction to finding out that adopting a child could take 2 or 3 years was hardly the picture of strength or stability. She almost jumped off the roof of a building, ended up in a sanitarium, and even after spending considerable tim there was so unstable that when Bobby brought Christopher home and Pam assumed Christopher was a baby he was bringing home for them to adopt, he was so afraid that she'd try suicide again if he told her the truth that he lied and said that Christopher was a baby he brought home for them to adopt.

What did April ever do that is even close to as weak or unstable as that? I don't dislike Pam because she reacted so poorly to the thought of having to wait 2 or 3 years to adopt a baby. We all have flaws and weaknesses; nobody's perfect. I don't like the way she refuses to acknowledge the type of man Cliff is and continues to treat him so well even after he does things detrimental to her marriage to Bobby such as running a scam on Pam where he asked her to get $10,000 from Bobby (at a time when their marriage was on shaky ground) on the pretense that Digger needed it for a wonderful investment opportunity when in reality Cliff wanted her to use Bobby's own money to ruin the Ewing's plans to drill on the Palo Seco oil field, thereby costing the Ewings millions of dollars and potentially destroying Pam and Bobby's marriage, which was Cliff's hope!

When Pam was told what Cliff had done at first she didn't believe it and then when presented with enough evidence that she had to believe it, she only stayed angry at Cliff for a very short time and then went right back to treating Cliff wonderfully, including being more loyal to Cliff than her own husband Bobby! I don't dislike Pam or blame her for her mental breakdown at all. I just used it to illustrate that she had flaws, just as the rest of us have flaws. The things she tolerated from Cliff over and over again, especially things Cliff did that were designed to hurt her marriage to Bobby, do tend to make me like Pam a little less than I other wise would like her though.

I value family loyalty very highly and family is maybe the main reason I watch Dallas. I love it when they unite against outsiders. I consider JR's infidelity his worst trait. Possibly JR's best trait is the way he treats John Ross and the way he always tried to please his parents. I love a strong united family. It's like Miss Ellie said after the incident at the barbecue where it looked like some of he guests wanted to beat up or lynch JR because of his cut-rate gas stations. She said we may be right and we may be wrong but as Ewings we always unite against outsiders and that makes us unbeatable! So as someone who value family unity so highly, I dislike it when Pam more or less accepts Cliff's attempts at breaking up her family! Cliff has no respect for Pam's decisions regarding being Bobby's wife and Pam's happiness is a lower priority for Cliff than causing unhappiness for JR and Bobby and the Ewing family in general. When he had let Pam down badly by almost losing his share of Wentworth Tool and Die to Jeremy Wendell and Pam had to bail Cliff out by paying Wendell an extra 4 million dollars to get the shares back, Cliff said he felt terrible about it and he begged her to forgive him. He claimed he was willing to do anything to make it up to her and Pam took him up on this offer. She asked him to sell his 10% of Ewing Oil to her. It was her first and only request after he claimed he was willing to do anything to show Pam how sorry he was and he said NO! he said "Don't make me give up the one thing on life that means the most to me - revenge"!

When Pam found out that her happiness was of lower importance to Cliff than hurting the Ewings, that she was a lower priority to Cliff than revenge was, even though Digger himself said about the Ewings "I never wanted to see Jock Ewing down and out; I just wanted what was coming to me", and despite it all Pam continued to treat Cliff with incredible loyalty, kindness and love, it did something to diminish my affection for Pam. I still liked her, just not as much as I used to like her.

He didn't "have to"; it was his choice. A man as young as Bobby was (late 30s according to script) when Pam abandoned him deciding he's not going to live the rest of his life alone and then looking for someone he might be happy with is very normal human behavior. In contrast, a man Bobby's age in Bobby's situation after Pam was gone (after Principal quit Dallas) deciding to be celibate for the rest of his life would be fairly unusual.

Artistically, having Bobby not choosing to be celibate for the rest of his life opens up a lot more options for storylines.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I liked the couple Bobby and Jenna too! You mentioned TNT Dallas and Lucas and it made me remember one of their big mistakes: They never utilized the character Lucas did they? I think the return of Lucas - Bobby's only biological son could have created a lot of drama and some major insecurity issues with Christopher! A feud between Lucas and Christopher could have been very exciting, especially since Christopher had had such a strong negative reaction when he found out he was adopted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Sue Ellen did once tell him that she wished she'd met him first.

7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I see a huge difference between Bobby making an exception for a lady who had sex with JR one time and Bobby making a exception for a lady who had been married to JR twice and had sex with him thousands of times, don't you?

Sue Ellen is, or at least looks about 10 years older than Bobby. I don't see him going for that.

Another reason I'd give to why not Bob and Sue Ellen as a couple is it at the very least it would make dinnertime and every other social thing the family did together awkward to have Bobby and JR's ex at the dinner table and what do they tell the kids? Daddy is sleeping with your aunt and your cousin is now your step-brother and the woman who used to be JR's wife is now his sister in law. The more you get into it the more it feels like incest. GROSS!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +914
    They conveniently forgot about Ray and Lucy ;-)

9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Doesn't fascinate this soapchater. The very thought of Bobby and Sue Ellen together just makes me want to reach for the vomit bag, much like what happened when I watched Dallas: War of the Ewings.
    face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Who forgot about Ray and Lucy?

Speaking of early affairs in Dallas history, I'm surprised Ray and Bobby were such good friends considering Bobby stole Pam from Ray. Losing a lady like Pam to the son of my employer would have made me hate the guy. Remember how mad at JR Ray got when JR was fooling around with Garnett the country singer? He was literally choking JR with both hands and if Bobby hadn't shown up when he did, I don't know what would have happened. And I wouldn't consider Garnett much of a loss compared to Pam. If Ray was ready to kill over losing Garnett to the other son of his employer it would have been interesting to see what Ray would have tried to do to Bobby if he had had the same kind of mindset then but for some reason Ray was a lot more calm about losing Pam. I don't think he even raised his voice to Bobby over that. It's kind of strange. I don't think Garnett was nearly as appealing as she seemed to think she was. Pam was amazing though. She was beautiful and a classy lady.

11. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +914
    The writers / producers never once mentioned Ray and Lucy after Ray was found out to be Jock’s son (for safe reasons with viewership and networks) so they easily would gloss over the aunt sister son thing if SE and Bobby got together, is what I meant

12. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    That would be a lot more difficult though because Ray and Lucy were together so early in the series that probably most of the audience they had in the 80s never saw Ray and Lucy together since that was only in a few episodes and probably ended in the fall of 1978. it's impossible to forget Sue Ellen and JR were married and for her to go from JR's wife to his sister in law and then for John Ross to watch his mother shacking up with his uncle would just gross him (and everyone else) out. It's way too close to being incest.

13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    As the series progressed it was interesting to watch how the relationship dynamics changed. JR and Ray were besties. It was if Ray was JR 's go-to-guy if something or someone had to be dealt with. Then things changed and Ray and Bobby became best mates. I'm about to watch Dallas again so I'm interested in pinpointing the change in relationship between JR and Ray.

14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    I wouldn't have ever called them besties. When did you see that? I know by War of The Ewings JR was playing Mr Nice Guy, but the most I ever saw was a handshake when Ray left for Europe.

15. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    One example was when they went to Waco together, picked up a couple women looking for a good time, and took them to a motel. That was the start of the episode "Wins Of Vengeance" in season one or the miniseries, depending in what you like to call it.

16. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I think you'll find that the exact point where JR and Ray's friendship changed drastically and came to an end was when JR made a move on Garnett McGee and Ray found the two of them in bed together.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    From the moment Dallas began Sarah...only later did their relationship deteriorate. It's why I've always been curious about seeing the Ewing story told when JR, Bobby, Ray and Pam were obviously hanging out together...well perhaps when Pam was seeing Ray.

Also, I've always had this image of JR being shy, clumsy, awkward around women, unlike Bobby who was playing the field when they were younger. I wonder if soapchaters views would change if we saw JR and Bobby in a different light.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Oh God no - the producers not pairing Bobby and Sue Ellen up was one of the few things they did right post-VP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Bobby & Sue Ellen?

I would've had the same reaction as JR at the start of War of the Ewings!

It just shouldn't happen! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Glad they didn't do the idea of a Bobby and Sue Ellen pairing because it is gross and PD and LG do not have any chemistry! When I saw them in the shower kissing in JR's dream I had to look away.

• Agree Agree x 1