Bobby Has A lot Of Nerve. Lol

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Watching Dallas for the first time in many years, I’ve come to one conclusion. Bobby must have thought he was holier than thou. I’m on season 13 and I’m on the episodes where Bobby’s chasing after this Pam lookalike. He breaks off with April and while he’s chasing this lookalike, he then goes to April and tells her to “wait for him? LOL

There was other instances where people would change their positions after a tongue lashing from Bobby.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    I love Bobby very much but at times he frustrated the hell out of me. Number 1 prime example is when he got pally with that nasty good for nothing evil tramp Holly Harwood.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    They always said he was spoiled. You can tell that he was definitely used to getting his way, particularly in his personal life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    I dunno if it was that or if he genuinely thought at times he was doing the right thing... just sometimes it came across like ‘seriously Bobby?!?’

When he interrupted JR and Sue Ellen about to kiss because he wanted to talk to JR AT THAT VERY MOMENT!!!!!! I wanted to kill him!!!!! :scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,186
    of all the things that could have justifiably compelled him to leave Southfork over the years, the one that actually got him to do it was when JR closed Ewing 23, which Bobby opened "all by himself" like a big boy. That seemed childish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    That’s a VERY good point. I don’t know if that was the writers intent, but when a child that has been spoiled and the parent that did most of the spoiling goes against him/her, they don’t know how to take it and they sometimes act out in revenge. In Bobby’s case, he moved out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    From day one I always felt both Bobby (and Pam) were full of themselves and never really liked them as people (just my opinion I suppose so in the TNT continuation I wasn’t too shocked how far of a total ass he’d become except he never got called out on it). JR might have been the guy we loved to hate, but he was who he was. I think if I said “JR, I don’t like you,” he’d have laughed, “Well of course not.” But if I said the same to Bobby, he’d have honestly said, “But why?”

8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    I know a lot of people have said that about Dallas - that it was their main reason for watching, so I guess I'm in the minority. I've never loved to hate anyone. I like JR because he's entertaining and he's very good about almost always finding a way to get wha he wants. Sure he has flaws, unlikable traits, but I try to focus on the things I like rather than dwelling in what I don't like. Most people you will meet in life who spend the majority of their time focusing on what they don't like end up being bitter people. Bitter people are a drag; they're annoying. That's a reason I hated Cliff and Digger. I don't love hating them. I just found them very uninspiring because they wasted their lives. There's nothing likable about that. I can find a lot of things about JR and Dallas in general that I do like. I wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

I think JR might have been the first mainstream antihero - a hero who has qualities that were previously associated with villains. But here's a lot to like about someone so capable, so good at what he does, and is usually in a good mood. JR is almost smiling. That's the diametric opposite of the bitter type of person I don't like. JR enjoys life to the utmost.

I also like Jock because he's the true hero of Dallas as opposed to the antihero of Dallas. He's a self made man who worked hard, worked smart, and was both highly intelligent and extremely competent. He's inspiring. That's what a great show has to have, someone heroic, someone so extraordinary that he's inspiring. That's the purpose of fiction - to inspire. It inspires us to reaching great heights in our own lives. Good fiction serves an important purpose - to show life not necessarily as it is but as it could be and should be.

Otherwise I could just watch the news. They love to run negative stories. They've found those negative types of stories sell better than stories of good news. Maybe most people just love to have something to complain about. Maybe they just have to see someone, anyone, who is doing worse than they are so they can feel better about their own lives. I don't like that mentality. I can skip watching the news for a whole month and still know that they'll be talking about - tension in the Middle East. It's so predictable. That part of the world has been at war my whole life.

I don't watch TV to see the ordinary. Look out the window if you want to see the ordinary. I watch TV to see the extraordinary. I like to watch a story about a person or people who are achieving something exceptional. To see man as a self-actualized being (Jock Ewing in this show) - one who dares to be great and succeeds through working extremely hard at a noble pursuit, never stopping, never giving up until he's has realized his dream on his own terms.

Bobby wasn't as likable because he was a dilettante. He worked in one thing then he'd lose interest, quit and do something else. He went from being the B man, which he enjoyed and did well to letting his wife talk him into taking a job in the company he didn't want and wasn't suited for. That's the reason he quit and went into construction. He had lost interest in the oil business. Then he lost interest in construction and became a politician, Then he quit that. He had the enthusiasm to start anything but lacked the determination and discipline to finish anything. That's what I call a dilettante. I find that neither heroic nor inspiring.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It’s been a while since I saw the episode, but wasn’t closing Ewing 23 just the straw that broke the camel’s back? Wasn’t Bobby having trouble accepting the way the Ewings operated?
    I believe he said that decency wasn’t words they used much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    No, Bobby had shown his word was no good. Only two episodes earlier he vowed to run Cliff Barnes out of Texas for what he'd done to Jock. Bobby not only reneged on that; he did a complete 180 degree turn. He went from vowing to run Cliff Barnes out of Texas to is insisting that Jock make Cliff his business partner. It may have been the first time, or at least the first truly memorable time we found out that Bobby's word was no good. What could have posibbly made Bobby do such a complete turnabout? The answer is as Taylor stated: Bobby couldn't take the shutting down Ewing 23 after he'd opened it up all by himself "like a big boy."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,883
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    It was about decency, actually. All through Season 2, Bobby saw a lot of crappy things he was doing: trying to throw Val out of the State again, mortgaging Southfork for a secret oil venture, pushing Swellin to booze one more time, and then J.R. didn´t only prevent Cliff from getting benefits from Ewing 23, but also Pam!!

So it wasn´t one thing little Bobby was angry about, but a whole string of things, year after year, and I wonder why he didn´t threaten to leave the ranch every year! It was the storyline that "Dallas" did best: good vs. evil, with good being more and more grey, and evil, well, being good ol´ J.R. And they didn´t know half things J.R. was doing at their backs! (Blackmails, bribes, Serena´s little farces...)

Also, well, wasn´t Jock´s foreman the one who was sacking Rebecca when Digger found out and killed him? Of course, Jock looked away in everything their foremen did (Ray and Lucy, ahem...) but Digger´s last act, his bed confession, probably was his most honest act ever, even if it implied that poor Pammie was...a basteeeerd!

One of the secrets of "Dallas" was that every original character was unique and owned their own faults and virtues. Their chemistry was absolutely perfect and the actors nailed it most times. If we have to judge the characters as if they were Bill Cosby, OJ Simpson, or, well, Michael Jackson, then the party is over and we better go home and into our beds, with one light on...

upload_2019-4-2_6-14-2.jpeg

12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    I love Bobby but absolutely 100% agree with you about Pam. Me me me.

Oh and me me me some more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,883
    Medals:
    What´so bad about moi moi moi?

upload_2019-4-2_15-33-57.jpeg

14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    :D Absolutely nothing wrong with you Piggy darling.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    I know, sometimes Pam could be all about herself and be pretty high handed. Perfect example: "Bobby I need to leave Southfork."

Bobby: ""OK, we can look for a house."

Pam: "No, you don't understand. I need to leave Southfork by myself."

Bobby: (sounding incredulous") "Without me? Without Christopher?"

Pam: Yes, without you but I'm taking Christopher."

Damn, she didn't even ask Bobby if she could take Christopher; she just assumed she was entitled to take him and that Bobby shouldn't have any say over the matter!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    The best was when she willingly left Bobby then cracked up because he wanted to be with Jenna...

I did find a lot of her choices healthy though - like when she said 'We exist for ourselves first..'.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,883
    Medals:
    If I had to endure the likes of old grumpy Jock, boozy Swellin (sorry Sarah) and obnoxious J.R. (double sorry Sarah), I would have left before the miniseries had finished! Not to mention that poison dwarf!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Medals:
    It’s ok. It was her goody two shoes routine that made them drink and obnoxious in the first place :D:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Toni, I'm curious about where you got the name "poison dwarf" for Lucy. I get the dwarf part of course, but why poison? Also, is that a nickname for Lucy that you made up all by yourself?

Thanks!

20. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Bobby really became a character in the later seasons. It gets worse. He actually had the nerve to tell April’s mom “you’re making it too easy for her here, you need to let her live her own life.” AFTER he had just slept with a Pam lookalike?

Bobby was something else. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1