Bobby Has A lot Of Nerve. Lol

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,031
    Medals:
    Bobby can be forgiven any of his little flaws just for showing the self-restraint in not jumping over the coffee table and strangling Sue Ellen to death after what she said to him in the living room following the 1984 Oil Baron's Ball when JR prematurely announced his brother's engagement to Jenna.

Cuz I sure would've.

2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    I don’t remember that line, but I disagree with her. We exist for our connections to others, thus for the shake of others. Without these connections, life isn’t worth living. Hence any movie with a person stranded alone. If we put ourseleves first we put distance between ourself and others and that is the opposite of what we want to be doing.

It’s the lesson I wanted to see in JRs masterpiece. Not a sorry but a recognition that he hurt people and ended up alone and so her is my last act:

Bobby: the Wade Ranch for him and Lucas

Gary: the West Fork Ranch for him and his 3 children

Ray: a farm in Virginia to be close to Margret and a widowed Donna (lobbyist and former Senator and Secretary of Energy)

James: a trust fund for him and his children

John Ross and Bo (named after Cally’s father and brother), and two other sons (hence like HL Hunt and his hidden families, along with 16% by Carlos DelSol): split Ewing Industries (like the Koch Brothers, set up a fight - why make this up when reality is so much better) having acquired Ewing Oil, West Star, CyberByte, Ewing Energies, Barnes Global (Wentworth Industries), Ryland Logistic, etc. Sorry Chris, JR can’t be looking to mend fences with everyone, certainly not someone who’s 1/2 Barnes. Oh and John Ross to get 1/2 of Southfork with JRs death and the other half with Bobbys.

Sue Ellen: all of his SouthFork Oil right’s, all of Miss Ellie’s jewelry and a scavenger hunt for all the things he’d wished he’d had time to do for her, oh and a dozen roses showing up on all special occasions for the rest of her life.

Well just an idea.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Medals:
    Excellent point. Agree 100%

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +428
    You put this very well. I like J.R., too. I don’t think he’s a good person, but he’s charming as hell. One of the reasons TNT Dallas didn’t work for me is because John Ross, the “new” J.R., was charmless. He was always upset about something and rarely seemed happy.

There’s a character on “The Young and the Restless” named Jill. Jill is supposed to be one of the villains. The actress almost always plays her as angry/annoyed/pissed off, so I can’t stand the character. When played by the previous actress, Jill generally seemed to enjoy life and reveled in being a villain. She was a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    That's probably exactly how I'd feel about that too if I watched that, based on your description. People who are enjoying life are a lot easier to like than people who are bitter and angry all the time.

One thing about JR that I think is very likable as well as what we've already mentioned is that he's very good at going after what he wants and getting it. I think part of the reason JR was such a popular character is that people could admire that. They don't want to be just like him. I know I don't. But you can admire that capability of being able to get what you want in life.

6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    I like that attitude "we exist for ourselves first." It certainly is a healthy attitude. I know it was said in the context on women not existing solely for men but I think it's equally applicable to both genders.

I'm not sure how much Pam actually "walked the walk" regarding that sentiment though. It seemed to me there were time periods, long periods of time, where she existed for Christopher first. It seemed that without Christopher, she would crumble.

Bobby was legitimately scared of this enough that he lied to her and told Pam that he had brought Christopher home for them even though he was bringing him home because he believed JR was Christopher's father and so they should be together. Without his father, Christopher would have been an orphan! At least unless he were to be adopted, which he eventually was. Christopher came close to growing up in an orphanage though. If Faraday hadn't contacted Bobby initially, it didn't seem as if any of the Ewings were looking to find out if Kristen had truly had given birth to a child. JR wasn't looking and Sue Ellen - Kristen's only sister - wasn't looking for the baby who would have been her nephew or niece either. Faraday actually ended up saving Christopher despite being a bad man.

Back to "We exist for ourselves first." Men do a lot of things for women, for their attention, to be desired by them. And vice-versa. Some are things they'd do anyway and some aren't. Ultimately though, if we find ourselves spending the majority of our time and energy just for the attention and desire of the opposite sex, doing things we'd have no interest in otherwise, I think it would tend to create a very hollow, superficial type of person - man or woman.

Deep people who have real substance exist for themselves first and having someone fall in love with them is more a byproduct of that behavior than the primary goal of it. Otherwise it's kind of like acting in the sense that you're creating a persona strictly for the purpose of trying to become popular and desired. Do you agree?

• Winner Winner x 1