Dallas Character Bobby staying dead!

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Oct 11, 2016.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    I see three issues here:

1) Bobby should have never been killed in the first place and what season 9 could have looked like IF they just created a spin off for Bobby, Pam and Cliff. Would Patrick Duffy taken the opportunity as clearly he was looking to do something different. Was there another was to handle his departure? Certainly. I think the whole killing Bobby off was a terrible idea - followed by the worst idea of avoiding killing Pam and being afraid to do anything.

2) As it was what it was, how should they have brought Bobby back? The answer should never have been the Dream season. I can say replacing Miss Ellie was stupid. I have to say creating a dream season was unbelievable to even be on the table - though hindsight is 20/20 I’m still baffled by this one.

3) but the bigger issue of this thread is since what was done was done, how should Season 9 have played out? I too found the Nero. Stuff over the top but the rest was fine - not great but fine. I for one thing JR wasn’t the same and I was OK with that. He was getting to old to be be the same to me. He need settling down and to become more like his daddy. There was no way to go on for another decade with out the characters evolving. But to be the new Jock, he needed total power not sharing it with Pam. They also didn’t need Angelica, they had Wendell for a villain to the Ewing family, which I’m sure I would have found more enjoyable. To me Pam as a character had run her course and I still think a spin off for called for, taking Christopher and Cliff with her. I wasn’t a fan of the cousins myself but Jamie with Cliff worked. Jack was fine but more as a “go to” man to JR, not a replacement for Bobby. And I’ve have had Jenna pregnant and alone with Lucas, staying at Southfork. Donna would have been a great political foil to JR and her story lines with Ray were very deep and emotional. Maybe bring on an older son JR had kept hidden all these years, a better actor than did with James, and certainly not a woman to be JR’s true love. An older woman of means and power of her own.

I think JR as Jock with Sue Ellen as Miss Ellie, living in a house with his momma and her husband off a room down stairs, and his late brothers x and her baby, along with his son and a new son, could have been an interesting household against enemies like Donna, Wendell and his new son’s mother. And this new son could have been every bit the womanizing, Machiavellian character JR had been - or make the character a daughter. With John Ross the young Bobby character. I just think change was in order at this point and they dived in head first and then got nervous.

2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    Yes, it would have. If they could have convinced her to return after just one year.

VP is very business savvy. Had she demanded - and been given - a definitive onscreen death, I have a feeling she would have shown greater concern about the damage her return would do to the integrity of the series. Somehow, I don't think a champagne-fuelled hot tub with Larry would have been enough to persuade her.

3. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    No, barring Bobby’s death, the dream season was dreadful. It simply wasn’t Dallas and at the end of the season, everything came full circle. Pam and JR were fine with each other, JR and Sue Ellen were back together, etc.

Jamie was fine as a Lucy replacement, But Jack wasn’t Bobby. Jack was an ill-conceived character.

Nero and her group was a Dynasty thing, NOT Dallas.

4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Medals:
    I for one was thrilled to see Bobby return. But, equally, I had loved the previous season's developments for the family and was sad to see one by one that each of these was now negated - Sue Ellen's new-found strength, Ray and Donna's reconciliation and adoption, and so on. It just wasn't necessary to do it that way.

5. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Season 10 was the last great outing for the show. The early part of Season 9 was engaging and then it fell apart with emerald mines, masquerade balls and lachrymose human interest tokenism that muddled the tone of the show completely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    It's appropriate that they lost Ewing Oil at the end of season 10 isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yes it is. Part of me still thinks that when JR and John Ross disappear into the elevator and the Mercedes convertible combusts, the story has been told.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    The dream season resolution actually sullied all soaps’ names, period. That’s how bad it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,722
    Medals:
    ^ ^
    My very next screen moniker.

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,144
    Poetry :clap:

11. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I would have been OK with killing off Bobby if they had any sort of plan to deal with it. They had this king-sized gap in the show and they had no idea what to do. Bring back dull Mark Graison? Try to pass off Jack as a Bobby clone? Beef up the part for Jenilee Harrison from Three’s Company? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz