Brexit: Worried for Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'UK Politics' started by Sarah, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    I am...very worried. Not only can the DUP not agree (or won't agree) on anything that Teresa May is proposing, but with Brexit looming, we face the prospect of going back to a hard border with the Republic of Ireland which will effectively take us back to the dark ages.

There's also the awful possibility of either 'side' not being happy with what is being proposed and a possible return to The Troubles. It's awful and I'm fed up with Northern Ireland suffering as if we are the poo on the shoes of the UK. :( I genuinely don't believe Teresa May gives a toss about us. Not sure the DUP do either to be fair.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,490
    She doesn't but in her defence nor do most of the people who voted for the disaster that it Brexit. Theresa May has also done nothing to resolve the situation regarding the lack of government in Northern Ireland which has been going on for far too long and also risks destabilising the Good Friday Agreement. The people of Northern Ireland deserve far better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,211
    Brexit sucks! :(
    Northern Ireland do deserve the stability and no hard border to Ireland that you have had in the past 20 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Thanks guys. I just want to add that the United Kingdom is far from United. How is this a fair vote with over 55 million people in England and only just over 1 million in Northern Ireland?

I would rather NI was made independent or part of a United Ireland. It’s all so blinkered.

My country has been through enough.

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    It is very worrying considering how far we had came before BREXIT. And the fact we have no government this long is a laughing stock and all the parties still being paid their full salary. So many things have been affected, healthcare, housing, education. Lots of things have been frozen in limbo with no funds for anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    It is a disgrace I agree. The DUP are a disgrace and I can't for the life of me understand why people keep voting for them. A party of bigots who won't bring us in line with same sex marriage or anything that modern day society has - including having shops open past 6pm on a Sunday....yawn. I really wish I had left this country when I had the chance.

7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,490
    It makes you wonder what Theresa May and Karen Bradley are doing anything to restore devolved government to Northern Ireland or if they even care that there is no government. That's why I think this Tory government don't really care about what happens to Northern Ireland after Brexit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    They don't and with every day that passes, I wish we were a united Ireland. At least we'd escape. But that would bring it's very own set of problems.

9. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Its a farce of a situation im living in the south of Ireland and would find the sheer stupidity of this funny if it wasent gonna threaten our economy. Cant believe its actually come to this its a sad state of affairs really Farage wouldent get a job selling used cars in this country cant believe people fell for his vile racist and divisive nonesense in the belief they were getting there country back. Back from what exactly??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Farce is the right word @Ollie james - made even more farcical by the rantings of Jim Allister and his like saying 'We' voted to leave. 'WE' did not vote to leave, NI voted to stay but because of his blinkered unionist ways, he doesn't actually care what the people of his own country want as long as he gets to suck up to the main UK and Westminster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    Jim Allister is everything that is wrong with Northern Ireland, and the universe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    He absolutely is.