Can they just end this now?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by MarkSinacori, May 6, 2019.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,757
    Medals:
    We've bemoaned the fact that the promos often don't give a good taste of what is set to occur in the episode, but it seems the network only gives them ten seconds or less to work with. Given the good buzz they got from last season's cliffhanger, I'd like to believe the network might at least write 'season finale' or something across the screen when they show the promos, just to warn people that the episode will likely be more action-oriented than usual.

Of course so many shows are ending their seasons right now that it might be hard for such an announcement to make an impact, especially when the CW does next to nothing to promote the show. I often wonder what the thought processes are in that area. I noticed back in the 1990s and 2000s that the broadcast networks would spend a lot of time and money promoting their highest-rated shows--shows that would attract huge audiences even if there were no commercials. I remember thinking they should not waste that time on sure-fire winners, and instead work harder to promote their struggling shows. I'm guessing NuDynasty is a special case for them, since they're making their money off the Netflix airings and don't care if the show gets 500k viewers* in the Nielsens...but you would think they would care about getting as many sets of eyeballs on every show--in every format.

* Friday's episode claimed over 900k viewers, which would be a near-doubling of its average audience, but there was apparently a baseball game pre-empting Dynasty in New York City and it screwed up the numbers.

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    It's not exactly a special case for The CW - Crazy Ex Girlfriend got the same 10 second promo treatment, so has a few other shows that are low-rated and, as you put it, main income source is their Netflix deal. They know they won't attract new viewers to the network, so why bother?

3. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,757
    Medals:
    Y'never know unless you try...:(

From that promo of Liam and Fallon out on the lake, it seems very romantic, very sweet....so I'm guessing the body of Blake's goon will float to the surface and spoil the moment. :omg:

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,691
    Medals:
    His body or....

upload_2019-5-20_0-28-1.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Please, don't give them ideas. If the original dared to use UFOs, the parody won't hesitate to use zombies :D
    (By the way, is Jason V. a zombie ? Watch many movies when I was a teen, but I don't remember if he was acknowledge as one)

6. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134

It is as finale afterall! They'll be some cliffhanger or cliffhangers...But it was a horrible promo for one.

7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,757
    Medals:
    I imagine Adam thinks he has to split up Fallon and Liam in order to continue his campaign against her. I have this image of Adam setting up a scenario where Fallon sees Adam and Liam 'making out', maybe walk in on the two in bed together after Adam slipped Liam a roofie.

8. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Adam using chemicals would be coherent with the character so far. When I think about it, maybe when they were in Paris, Adam injected Steven's a product to make him forget their discussion. I mean, when I take ambien to sleep, sometimes, I don't remember exactly what I said or did. If I take 2 ambiens, It can be a total blackout of what I did or said before I got to sleep. It surely exist stronger products that Adam could have injected to Steven to make him forget (that would explain why Steven hasn't called the mansion to warn them about him). Maybe the bad drug trip Steven had in paraguay was Adam's fault too. Steven couldn't even remember that they didn't sleep together (it was Adam lie)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,757
    Medals:
    Once I realized that Adam had not murdered Steven with that injection in the final scene of that episode, I assumed he'd done what you describe--given him something that pushed him even further over the edge. Perhaps Steven had just been emotionally exhausted and strung out when he landed in the sanitarium, and he would have gotten better quickly after resting and detox-ing. But after Adam drugged him, maybe he became catatonic or something that mimics a vegetative state--something that keeps him from being a 'problem' for Adam. It would have been just as easy for Adam to kill him, but he chose not to, so maybe Adam doesn't totally hate him.

Though I hate the way no one even mentions Steven or the need to go visit or get him well again, I see the writers' reasoning for the lack of mention: if they keep Steven on viewers' minds, they will have to address his fate in a more conclusive way, and I don't think they are willing to do that yet. Out of sight, out of mind, they hope. And having his fate left open, they can bring him back anytime they want, or just never mention him again. Y'never know with these people. Too bad, because he would be a much better hotel manager than Selfie Sam.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +428
    I have to say I severely limited my TV viewing, so I have only seen clips of the show on YouTube. However, I enjoy reading everyone's post about the show, so I hope it stays on just for that:jump:

• Like Like x 2
  11. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Yes a few (many?) soap fans here think that reading watchers comments, is more enjoyable than actually watching the show.
    It tells much about the show itself I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Milescolby

Milescolby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  14. Milescolby

Milescolby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Oops! My bad, apologies - must have been multi-tasking.

So actually that's even less of a tenuous achievement than I originally thought...:think:

15. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +738
    Medals:
    In the show’s defense, there’s really nothing better on.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Dynasty Masters Universe

Dynasty Masters Universe Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Making Fallon Alexis is really stupid. Is someone else playing Fallon or is the actress playing two roles?

17. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +738
    Medals:
    Are you serious?

18. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Hello guys, I was looking at some NuDynasty news online, and i found this :

"One thing is for sure, Dynasty is still making boatloads of money. According to By The Numbers, former CBS head Les Moonves had something interesting to say. He pointed out that “We own 100 percent of the show, and we’ve already licensed it to Netflix in 188 countries. … So this means Dynasty is profitable before it even hits the air."
    Source : https://www.tvshowsace.com/2019/08/05/dynasty-cristal-2-ana-brenda-contreras-breaks-her-silence/

I think now we may know the reason why the showrunners don't give a crap about the ratings on CW, the characters and the storytelling. Why would they care about the quality of a brand that sells to Netflix mainly on its historical name ? (I'm not saying NuDynasty is 100% crap. I mean it's bad, but enjoyable at some levels.)... As long as there are enough people to watch the show on Netflix, as long as Netflix renews it, NuDynasty is safe. Even with abyssal ratings.

The problem is that if the writers don't care, and keep on writing those idiotic plots with no follow up, no pay off, no consequences, no coherence, even Netflix watchers will start to give it up.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 9)