Caress' Diary

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Ked, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    After re-watching some of the HD episodes of season 6, I came across a scene with a detail that surprisingly, no one has ever mentioned or seemed to remember.

After the trial where Blake is proven to be the Carrington son who left his mother to burn, Caress strolls into Alexis' office and casually announces that she's been looking through her old diaries, and found an entry that revealed the Morrell sisters were out shopping on that day, and weren't even in Denver for most of that day.

Oddly enough, despite Alexis' initial nervous reaction, nothing is ever done about this little detail. The diary is never mentioned again, it never comes into play with how Blake proves his innocence and gets his house back, and I gotta ask... why not?

I mean, when Blake did get his house and company back, it was by using the written confessions of both a dead woman and a drunkard. I mean, seriously? Caress' diary would have provided much more substantial proof, as Caress was both alive and presumably had no ill reputation. And the diary itself couldn't be made out as fake, since it would have been an entire book filled with entries, or so I imagine.

Of course, I've also wondered, why didn't Caress simply come forward a lot sooner? I mean, she could have helped Blake during his trial and her revelation would have proved that Alexis had committed perjury, which would get her into a LOT of trouble. Which would serve as sufficient punishment on Caress' part: Alexis would wind up in jail just as she, Caress, had been. And this would happen almost right after Alexis prevented Caress from publishing "Sister Dearest." With Alexis in jail, Caress could use that time to find a way to get the book published after all.

So, with that being said, why DIDN'T Caress come forward? Then again, perhaps she figured her diary entry alone wouldn't be enough proof. Perhaps she wanted to make absolute certain that she could prove Ben was the one who let his mother die. She did, after all, do some investigating and discovered that Ben had been meeting with Emily Fallmont. Only afterwards, she instead decided to blackmail Ben for 10.5 million dollars, which she could have obtained from Blake as a way of thanks for helping prove his innocence.

So why did Caress choose not to divulge all that information to Blake? Why did she give Ben the chance to keep it all hidden?

And here's what I think the show could have added in: Caress had fallen in love with Ben, and so therefore, her priorities were skewed. However, I'd still have her blackmail him, because she wants a bit of financial freedom herself. And of course Ben still has her abducted and sent back to Caracas.

As for the diary, I'd add in a scene where Alexis demands to know where the diary is, only for Caress to smugly say she's hidden it, and in a much better place than "Sister Dearest". The whereabouts of the diary remain a mystery until season 7, when Caress is rescued and brought back to Denver.

She is then snuck into the Carrington mansion by Leslie and Amanda, because, of course, that's where she hid the diary. However, Caress discovers to her shock that its gone from its hiding place. And of course, Amanda and Leslie must help hide Caress when Ben walks in. After a tense moment, Leslie manages to lead her father away while Amanda helps her aunt escape unnoticed.

But now there's the question, where could the diary have gone?

And as it turns out, while Leslie is visiting Steven at his apartment, she notices Danny coloring in what definitely is not a coloring book. She snatches it away, and realizes that its none other than Caress' diary! Danny had taken the item before he and his father moved out of the mansion.

Leslie desperately searches through the diary, hoping that Danny hadn't colored over the entry that described Alexis and Caress shopping the day Ellen died, and to her relief, there it is, untouched.

Leslie presents the diary to Uncle Blake and Auntie Caress, who promptly use it to blackmail Alexis into giving Blake the mansion back, and to send Ben packing out of Denver (and possibly out of America).

So yeah. That would have made just the tiniest bit more sense, I think, anyway. What do you all think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    I remember thinking that Caress was maybe bluffing about the diary. Just to shake up Alexis. Like Caress did know that she and Alexis weren't in Denver at the time of the fire, but she didn't have proof so she said she found that proof in her Diary. Presumably if she had the Diary it would be in England? Wasn't that where Caress was living before she went to prison in South America? Did she jet back to England just to look through her diaries? Where had they been stored for the years she was in prison?

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,128
    Medals:
    FedEx?

I really like the idea of using her diary but I don't think the writers wanted Alexis to be defeated. That would be like, losing control over the entire story.

They liked to play with the pieces, but didn't really want to play the game.
    [​IMG]

After all, how much had changed after Ben and Caress had left?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    Ah, that would make sense, that Caress was just bluffing. Of course, had that been the writer's intention, they should have made that clearer by having Caress admit later on there was no diary.

However, the diary still could exist, and here's how: first off, just because one is in prison, it doesn't mean one's life on the outside stops. She probably returned to England to check up on her entire household and previous job (that is, if she had either before being locked up), and get everything settled before heading off to meet with that one publisher guy.

After all, in the show, it showed her getting out of prison, and then in the very next scene she's in a different country, dolled up in gold and going over the remaining details of her book. An unknown amount of time and arrangements obviously happened between these two scenes. Plus, Caress mentioned she had been thinking of Alexis for 5 years, and that she needed more information on her sister before finalizing her book. So during her trip back home to England to make sure everything there was in order, she could have also packed up her old diaries to go through to make certain she hadn't missed anything.

True, very true. But like I said, they could have come up with reasons for Caress deciding to withhold the diary, and it could have been that she had fallen for Ben (that's the only plausible excuse I can think of). However, after he has her locked up again, well, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. ^^

Well yeah. lol

• Like Like x 1