Carmen Duncan has died

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Jason73, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Medals:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Medals:
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Medals:
    I always enjoyed Iris' rivalry with Cali Timmin's Paulina.

4. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Medals:
    Sad to hear this. She was a lovely, classy actress and Iris was one of my favourites from my time watching Another World.

I liked the story of how, after raising her family, she up and left Australia in her late 40s to move to the States where she found a new level of success in her career. She seemed to have a blast living and working in New York in the late 80s, early 90s.

20190203_171911.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    This makes me so sad. :oops:

Carmen Duncan was a great addition to Another World. I enjoyed every minute of her time as Iris, and always thought they should have kept her on for longer than they did. In the (albeit limited) amount of interviews and things I saw with her, she did seem very nice and the kind of actor who enjoyed working in ensemble pieces--not the diva type. The show wisely did not try to make her drop her accent--I think it would have (intentionally or not) messed with her performance. A lesser actress would have folded up like a tent in the midst of such established actors as Watson and Wyndham, but her Iris rolled right into the town and Duncan never seemed out of her depth. Back when I was watching originally, I had never heard of her when she debuted, so I just assumed she had been on soaps or something equally demanding in Australia.
    Soaps are a difficult medium to "walk into" when you've become accustomed to the slower pace of nighttime TV or films, so seeing her drop right in and play such awesome material so well speaks volumes about her skills.

Though her stuff with Watson and Wyndham was inevitably compared with McKinsey's, people seemed willing to accept that time had marched on, and Iris had a few different layers than when they'd seen her last. After Watson's death, there was no going back, because Iris (and the show in general) was now forced to move on with life without her beloved 'daddy' to fall back on. And if she wanted to keep her father's memory alive, she had to work with Rachel, Amanda, and even Paulina to preserve it. Yes, she never did quite become best-buds with the other Cory ladies, but they eventually came to respect each other...which is probably all Mac ever would have expected.

I also had the pleasure of seeing her in the short-term gig they mentioned on As the World Turns. She once again was tasked with playing an iconic role--this time, playing town diva Lisa Grimaldi while her longtime portrayer, Eileen Fulton, was ill. Fulton was one of the soaps' first 'bad girls' in the 1960s and had been with the show all that time, so fans were not as accepting of her temporary recast. Still, you could tell Duncan was having a ball playing Lisa, who was "rich" like Iris but not "refined" or "classy". Lisa told it like it was! Duncan affected a light Southern (American) accent to disguise her Aussie accent, which was a nod to Fulton's tendency to lapse into her own North Carolina accent when her character got excited or angry. She was a last-minute recast but it was really fun for me to see her mixing it up with a whole new slate of characters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count: