Carry on Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Clubsoda, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Been rewatching my Carry on Ultimate Collection DVD set and thought I'd read up some trivia on the net.

Wikipedia claims this

If this is true it's a pity Lorimar were so greedy and it never happened. This could've been so funny though sadly couldn't have happened with Sid James as he died before Dallas aired.

With Sid gone I wondered who would've spoofed JR out of those make actors? Surely not Kenneth Williams ha ha

• Like Like x 2
  2. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I read the Carry On team kept trying to revive this project but it never came to pass. The final time was in the mid 80s when they wanted Kenneth Williams to play the lead role of R.U. Screwing. The Carry On flicks were well past their sell by date at this point so be thankful the movie never got made.

3. Clubsoda

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I don't think the films ever would have been past their sell by date myself it was simply a case of getting a good script and getting back as many of the classic team as possible most of which were still alive in the early 80's outwith Sid James and Peter Butterworth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    By the time the awful Carry On Emmannuelle came out the nail was in the coffin for the franchise. Don't think a Carry On Dallas would have worked.

5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,608
    Dallas is one of those things it's hard to make a parody of because it's kind of its own parody. And the Carry Ons had pretty much had their time by the '80s. That said. if someone told me there was an unseen Carry on Dallas movie somewhere in a vault, I'd be double fascinated to see it. Bernard Bresslaw would have made a great Jeremy Wendell and Joan Sims could have played just about everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Not just a case that the Carry On Team had lost several key actors at this point (Sid James, Peter Butterworth) but equally crucial Talbot Rothwell, the writer. He could have made it work but he retired after Carry On Dick, and his absence was very noticeable in the scripts for the remaining three films.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,326
    As others have said, the Carry Ons of the late Seventies weren't very good quality, so as much as a curio as it would be, I'm under no illusion that it would have been the finest hour for the Carry Ons.

According to the Peter Rogers bio, in addition to KW's JR Screwing, Barbara Windsor was to be Lucy Screwing, Joan Sims was wanted for Ellie and Jack Douglas was cast as "a twitching member of the Screwing family". Kenny Connor and Bernard Bresslaw were to have been offered leading roles and there was talk of Mike Reid or Jimmy Tarbuck filling the gap left by Sid (in hindsight, it could have been fun to see Windsor paired with her future Enders hubby).

Rogers was persuaded to change the family name to "Ramming" which wasn't enough to stop Lorimar threatening legal action.

Incidentally, the film would have opened with Jock's funeral. Like his Dallas counterpart, Jock's portrait would have appeared in later scenes. Now this is my favourite part of the whole project, because the Jock in the portrait would have been Sid James as a tribute to him, which takes the parallels to a whole new level.

[​IMG]

"You still live here, Sid. This is still your house."

The Carry On Dallas idea was dusted off as late as 1987, to tie in with the release of the Carry Ons on VHS:

I suppose Carry On Cowboy, with its barfights, shootouts and heavy drinking was in many ways as close as the team got to Dallas.

I can never see Jordan Lee without thinking of Williams's drawling moustachioed character from that film:

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    Obviously the start of this is like Dukes of Hazzard, but can anyone else spot the Dallas similarities?

10. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I love the Carry On's but some of the last one's are a bit dire. I'm not a fan of Emmanuelle although I do like Carry On Behind.

It would've been interesting seeing a Carry On Dallas film. I'm sure Kenny Williams would've been hilarious as the JR character & I like the idea of having Sid James picture as the image of the dead Jock Ewing. Life imitating art.

We probably would've got a spoof opening title sequence of the real Dallas opening sequence. They probably would've done there own version of Who Shot JR in the film storyline too! A pity it was never made. :(

11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    I'm kind of mixed on this, on the one hand, it would've been hilarious, and perhaps the follow up film could've been Carry On Dynasty.

However the Carry On films were beginning to show their age by the late 1960s, and by the mid 1980s especially British audiences had moved on, the franchise was dead in the water by then.

However I do have an idea on who could have played RU Ramming/Screwing: David Jason, he would have been the perfect
    Sid James replacement, I doubt Barbara Windsor would've played Lucy, I would see her as Sue Ellen or Pam, I imagine a young starlet of the time would've played Lucy.

12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,608
    I've got a soft spot for the '70s Carry Ons. They're fascinating time-capsule pieces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +644
    I'd have loved to have seen Carry on Dallas, it would have been wonderful - if the script had been right. However the Carry Ons were in deep trouble back then, not only were the scripts dreadful but they decided to try & compete with films like "Confessions of...", which were tatty, bawdy low class sex comedies and the Carry Ons were about so much more than that.

I agree though that it's tough to parody something that already is one - only Kenny Everett managed it, but that was for very tiny segments in his show and to make that into a 90 minute film would have been virtually impossible - though Kenny would have been an amazing addition to the Carry Ons in their latter years.

I think people that love the Carry Ons pretty much agree that Carry On Dick was the last classic, and while Carry On Behind was funny, what came after (England, Emmannuell & Columbus) were pitiful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Even relatively recently they talked about a new Carry On London - I think this was mooted about 10 years ago or so - and the media predicted that David Jason would be one of the leads. But it never got off the ground.

Sid James would have been good in a Carry On Dallas, especially since Carry On Cowboy was one of his greatest Carry Ons. But ultimately I am glad the proposed project didn't get off the ground, it would have been another Columbus, I suspect.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clubsoda

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Carry on Behind was definitely one of the best films Elke Sommer was simply hilarious in that film I found her more interesting than Babs Windsor in any of her films.

Carry on England and Emmanuelle were definitely let downs but it was the fault of the scripts not the remaining stars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    I agree with you regarding the scripts but equally some of the new additions to the cast simply weren't up to scratch either.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Those are some of the best one's in my opinion.

But it was just as much the actor's in them which made them so successful.

Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Kenneth Connor, Joan Sims, Charles Hawtry, Hattie Jacques, Barbara Windsor, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Butterworth. They all made it so watchable & so funny!

I was once a weak man. Once a week's enough for any man! :D

18. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Very much a chemistry that when too much new blood was mixed in and original cast left, or sadly passed away they were never as good...just like Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Very well said.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1