1. The Bachelorette

http://zaazu.com

Applications Open

Have you got what it takes to win?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Category 5 Hurricane Irma set to eat Florida

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Dream Maker 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Dream Maker 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Sustained winds have jumped to 175 miles per hour --- that would be a Category 6 if such existed.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Sustained winds have jumped to 180 miles per hour --- it's now one of the 5 most powerful Atlantic hurricanes in history.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Sustained winds are now at 185 mph, with gusts up to 225 mph -- making Irma the most powerful Atlantic hurricane since 1980.

[​IMG]

We're all gonna die!!

:run:

5. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    Just how far is this hurricane going to reach into Florida? Even though some of my family lives in the more northern part of the state, I am still worried.

7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat TV Fanatic The Bachelorette 2017 10 Nomination Wins 5 Nomination Wins

Ratings:
    +2,337
    The island of Saint-Martin is "95% destroyed" says authorities after hurricane Irma strikes. The island has 30.000 inhabitants.

Puerto Rico is also struck bad.

It's a huge one. Be safe!

8. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    It's still set to hit the bottom tip of Florida and come up the center of the state. They say 40,000 people are staying on the Keys -- which are likely to be completely covered by water.

On a side note, there's a hurricane, Katia, on the western side of the Gulf of Mexico, and the largest earthquake in Mexico in a century, an 8.1, struck the southern part of Mexico near the coast.

[​IMG]

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap Winner of SC Big Brother 2017 5 Nomination Wins 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat The Bachelor 2016

Ratings:
    +7,264
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    This is all too apocalyptic for my taste. What other disaster is going to try to upstage Irma?

The very idea that some parts of America will no longer exist....and then all those people who need to find a new place to live...

10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat TV Fanatic The Bachelorette 2017 10 Nomination Wins 5 Nomination Wins

Ratings:
    +2,337
    Eventually, some major natural disaster will happen. Like a 9.7 earthquake near a big city. But probably not in our lifetime. So fearing what might happen is just never a sane idea. And I assume that is how people move on after all terrorist attacks and natural disasters that happen now and then. We can only prepare for the smaller ones by building stronger buildings, roads and vehicles etc and educate people on what to do in an emergency. I can't believe there are so many countries around the world that don't have learning how to swim in their school carriculum.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    To be honest, I'd rather have it hit Miami than the Keys -- although I haven't been either for, like, a looooooooooooong time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  12. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    Okay, so now it mostly looks like it probably won't really get much into Port St. Lucy unless the wind changes. But I swear, my aunt and her husband are so stupid about this! They had a chance to leave, and they chose not to! Nooo, they would rather choose to just board the windows and huddle together with the kids in a room while they give their dogs pills to calm them down every two minutes. I'm sorry, but it is just wrong to expose children to this. I don't give a crap if they have a brick house, or how used to this the residents are! The storm could have very well changed to Category 5 for their area as well. And now, there is a tornado from it, too! You DON'T eff around with hurricanes! And they are only going to get worse and more frequent in the future! Years from now, all of these coastal states are going to become completely uninhabitable. Her husband is just another one of those idiots who constantly whined that Michigan was too cold (no, it is not!), and became obsessed with ONLY Florida to the point that they either spend more than half the year vacationing there, or moved there. She should have put her foot down and told him that she wouldn't move down there, but if they want to have their lives interrupted by these money-eaters all of the time, that is their choice.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Here's a couple of good ol' island boys driving across Islamorada today, home of one of my favorite little seaside motels (now a "resort"), The Islander -- which is probably underwater now, since the ocean washed across the highway this morning.

These boys aren't the brightest for doing this, but it's nice to see the footage... Some day, maybe people will learn to hold their smartphones horizontally. But until then, this is what we get:

14. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Active Member 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +404
    Original Member Since:
    Apr 8, 2004
    I think @Daniel Avery has mentioned on here that he lives in Florida. I hope he's okay.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I think he went from Savannah to Miami, but I could be mistaken. But he's in Florida, so he's either evacuated or hunkered down someplace.

This storm is kind of amazing. For several days, it was anticipated that Miami would take a direct hit. By the time Irma approached Florida, Miami managed to dodge a bazooka as the storm instead moved to the west side of the state, aiming for Key West, the Everglades and Naples. And yet Miami still got five feet of water in its downtown area despite being on the eastern side of the state!

16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Hey, everybody!
    So, what's new? :crazy:

It's been an interesting few days down here in Paradise. Though not quite as interesting as the posts above would lead us to believe. The town wasn't swept into the ocean. Irma Gerd, indeed.
    [​IMG]

PSL has always been kind of soggy in the rainy season (the land is lower in certain areas) but it was Fort Pierce that seemed to take the brunt of it as far as rain. I'm a few miles down the coast so the land is (mostly) a bit higher and drier. Only a third of Martin County has electricity, and I'm in that one-third thank goodness. The problem with leaving (and I'm sure they know this now) is that the track of Irma changed. I was considering evacuating to Fort Myers at one point because we thought it was going to go directly over this area. Luckily I decided it was too unpredictable, so I checked into a hotel a mile down from where I live, since the HOA boarded up the building and forced everyone out. Not to say I wasn't concerned at several points, but not on the "Oh, we're all going to die/lean over and kiss your butt good-bye" variety. I was more concerned that this beautiful little town was going to be in chaos afterwards, but...it really isn't. I might even be forced to return to work today, though luckily the boss hasn't called yet. Maybe I had double luck in that my house has power, but my work doesn't! :dance:Corporate rule says that if we are scheduled to work but the facility can't be opened due to weather emergency, we get paid anyway.

I never even lost electricity at the hotel. We lost cable and internet, but thankfully it was on when I got back here to the apartment. The outages of electricity and such are just that spotty, but luckily I'm one of the "Haves" because...well, pure chance.

So the tl;dr version is

Me on Friday::eek:
    Me on Saturday::embarrass:
    Me on Sunday: :hiding:
    Me on Monday: :group:
    Me Today: :tv:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    So Miami's okay? Just a little wet...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I'm fairly far removed from Miami (about two hours away), so all I know is what I see on TV. The live shots from that downtown street in Brickell (a Miami suburb) where a river of water was going down the street was like something out of a movie, with the added bonus of the reporter on-scene having previously worked at a station in Savannah that I used to watch.

The building codes for Miami-Dade County (as well as Broward) are so strict that their buildings can actually withstand more abuse, though.

• Informative Informative x 1