Caught speeding...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, May 14, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    I got caught speeding - only slightly over the 30 mile an hour limit honestly! - but I'm now torn between doing a speeding course or taking the penalty points, which my friend has advised will bump up my insurance and the points will be on my licence for 5 years. The course is £93. Ugh. But then no points or insurance increase...

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Pay the £93 and take the course-- IMO, that'd be far better than having points on your license (or, as Ireland puts it, licence) that don't expire for 5 years!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    I'm inclined to agree @bmasters9. Thank you!

I admit I was responsible, but it does anger me being 'done' for such a small amount when some dickheads are constantly tearing about the roads here in Northern Ireland (I'm Irish) at 90 miles an hour and don't seem to get caught!!!

Anyway!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Not a problem-- I'm glad you feel that way!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,953
    Medals:
    Aww, Ewing 2. I always wondered where you went. :p

How long is this speeding course if I may ask? £93 or points seem a little harsh for such a minor infraction.

Here in the US (or at least where I have lived) we also have the option to go to court to get a reduced sentence if we have a good overall record.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    I could go to court @Michelle Stevens but don't want to. It is minor but is typical over here. I'm annoyed when you see what some get away with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,057
    Medals:
    Get yourself a top shot lawyer to get you off the charge like the "celebs" although so pleased that smug annoying Beckham got banned this time for 6 months

I'd do the course - and yes its annoying when you see folk tank by and never get caught in a 30 or 40 mile limit

I generally know where police sit on my road to work so I toe the line like a good girl and watch everyone else over take!

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,642
    Medals:
    Keep in mind that these traffic school courses only exist because of such minor infractions and the whole "points on your license" stuff. The room will be full of people with similar stories, so I can't imagine anyone taking it seriously. It would be like detention after school or something. I'd attend only if your insurance company plans to dock your rates. You'll likely never see any of these people again, so treat it like an improv and create a character to play during the whole course.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    The course is now booked for fekin 0745 on a Saturday morning. I'm incensed and intend to ask what they are doing to catch people who REALLY SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

(NB I am not saying Sue Ellen was speeding or responsible in anyway of course. :D)

10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,380
    Medals:
    Whether you are 5 mph or 50 over the limit, you have still broken the law and have to accept the punishment and Sarah, I know you are a responsible person and will take away some useful and interesting information from the course.

Back in the day when speeding was monitored by traffic police they had the discretion to give you a warning but these days it's mostly done by speed cameras that don't have that flexibility.

A child knocked down by a speeding motorist (as I was when I was 8) won't care how much over the limit the driver was. Speed limits exist to protect people, including drivers, and as harsh as this may sound it was good that you were caught as you will learn from the experience and drive more carefully in the future.

11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    You are totally right @Angela Channing and I will be so careful from now on. It could have been a lot lot worse.

I actually witnessed an accident yesterday where a girl was hit as she jumped out of a car in the middle of one of Belfast's busiest streets. I know it's probably very different for taxi drivers in London, but we have now got enforced taxi lanes here. The taxi driver was in that lane as she jumped out into it and she was knocked down and very badly injured :( And he was only doing about 20 miles an hour as it was rush hour :(

I'm sorry you were hit by a car - I hope you weren't hurt badly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,380
    Medals:
    I went to hospital and was released the same day. I was lucky no bones were broken because I was thrown up in the air when the car hit me and landed on my back in the road. My only injury was to a muscle in my leg where I was hit by the car.

We lived on a main road and I ran across to get my football which gone over there while we were playing. The road seemed cleared when I started to cross but I didn't account for a car moving at speed. I don't think it was entirely the driver's fault but had he been travelling at a slower speed he might have been able to brake before he hit me.

I often think people who get caught on a relatively minor driving offence are lucky (even though invariably they think they are unlucky) because it serves as a warning which can prompt them to improve their driving behaviour. For example, when the TV presenter Ant McPartlin crashed into another car while drunk driving, although no one was seriously hurt, it appeared to be the key event in getting him to turn his life around. Without that he might have continued to drink drive and gone on to seriously hurt someone.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +956
    I know you are incensed Sar but driving under the influence of incense is just as bad as speeding if not worse. Don't do it, Sar.

Just say no. I'm here for you, Sar, if you ever feel like your life is out of control and you need to talk.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    I know that Mo. I mean I really should go on the course and learn something. It's important to keep our roads safe, not just for humans, but for rodents as well.

15. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +956
    I'll do the funnies if you don't mind, Sar.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    :laugh1: