Cause of "Roseanne Conner's" death....

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by TJames03, Sep 18, 2018.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    I'm not condoning Roseanne's dreadful tweet but "The Conners" simply won't last without her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    Foot in mouth disease?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    I actually think the show could work.

5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    How long did The Hogan Family last after Valerie Harper left Valerie? It went on for 4 more seasons, twice as long as it did with Valerie Harper and it continued to draw a significant audience.

If the writing is good and the show continues to be funny there's no reason why it shouldn't be successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
    But that show was pure garbage and had nowhere near the iconic status as "Roseanne" does.

7. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Roseanne is back in reruns, unless it's only for publicity for the new series.

8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
    I would assume that it would only enforce how much Roseanne was an intricate part of the success of the program.

9. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The recent series or the original?

10. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    The episodes currently in syndication?

Both TV Land and CMT are showing reruns of the original Roseanne. CMT has a block of six episodes it shows daily from 9am to 12pm, and TV Land dedicates a majority of its Saturday to a marathon.

I'm assuming that these networks, which still held syndication rights, were simply waiting for the controversy to settle down before they brought the show back to their schedule. And I'm sure that both channels have received a significant amount of mail requesting the series return.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
    Once again, I would think that the syndicated reruns would accentuate how much Roseanne's absence will destroy "The Conners."

12. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +313
    I'd prefer they treat Roseanne like Kenny on "South Park": have her die every episode. Opioid overdose, choked to death at a hot dog eating contest, her Pinto was rear-ended, her bungee cord broke, mauled by a rabid beaver, auto-erotic asphyxiation, etc.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    ABC Executives Regret Hastily Firing Roseanne Ahead of ‘The Connors’ Debut: Report

ABC executives are regretting firing Roseanne Barr so quickly after she made a controversial, racially charged comment on Twitter, and fear the upcoming spinoff “The Connors,” which features many of the same characters minus Roseanne, won’t generate good ratings, according to a new report.

The Daily Mail, quoting two senior executives at the network, who chose to remain anonymous, reported the regret and fear.

“We didn’t think it through properly. What Roseanne did was wrong but we shouldn’t have rushed to fire her. It was almost a knee-jerk reaction by Ben [Sherwood] and Channing [Dungey] who should have launched an investigation,” said one executive.

“This would have given them more time to listen to the public, advertisers and cast members to determine the best decision.”

The “Roseanne” reboot, which started airing earlier this year but stopped after Barr’s firing, was the top scripted series across all networks, averaging 19.3 million total viewers per episode, including a 5.5 rating among the coveted 18-49 demographic.

The show generated much controversy after the main character supported President Donald Trump, a stance not typically seen on mainstream television, which skews to the left.

But the ratings magnet would have continued if not for the Roseanne tweet, and possibly should have continued despite the missive, the executives said, noting other punishment options existed.

‘They Could’ve Suspended Her
    One executive told the Mail that Roseanne could have been suspended for a few episodes without pay but ultimately allowed to return.

“I mean the season finale saw Roseanne going to the hospital for knee surgery. While they worked out her fate, her character could have faced serious complications and fought for her life, while simultaneously making Roseanne fight for her career with a national apology tour,” the executive said.

“The morning the racist tweet scandal blew up, Roseanne offered to publicly apologize and do the rounds of every show but Ben and Channing weren’t having any of that and wanted her gone. Why not have her front a PSA for the network on racism and cyber bullying?”

One of the executives said that ABC fears the ratings for the “Roseanne” spinoff, “The Connors,” which is set to debut on Oct. 16, will not even be a quarter of what “Roseanne” was drawing earlier this year.

Barr Apologizes, Says She’s Not Racist
    Roseanne has repeatedly apologized for the tweet, directed at comparing Valerie Jarett, a former advisor to President Barack Obama.

But she’s also said that she didn’t mean it as a racist comment and that the tweet was misinterpreted.

In a podcast interview in early September, Barr said people were not informed about her.

“(T)hey would put me in the same box where they have people who call for the death of all Jews and want to enslave all black people. [The same box as] real racists that actually exist,” she said. “They put me in a box with them. And how do they think that’s gonna affect me? They don’t think. They’re under mind control.”

Source: https://www.theepochtimes.com/abc-e...head-of-the-connors-debut-report_2688602.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Mob populism democracies, like the US is and the rest of the Western world is quickly becoming, are never going to be mature enough to separate someone's artistic product, be it a TV show, song, broadway show, play, what have you, from the actual person who created it. So, I was not surprised they fired her. But nowadays with tweeter and other social media everyone famous is itching to use them as a bully pulpit and when there is blowback they cry foul, which proves again how immature they themselves are. Perfect catch 22.

I think the bigger problem was that her Trump-loving tweeter persona was also intruding in her show and so the new show was more propaganda than the old one, though it felt a lot like a continuation, more so than any other show that has been brought back or rebooted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    The first CONNERS episode was alright. It did what it needed to do.

But -- and I realize I'm behind the times here -- I find myself irritated with the discussion of prepubescent homosexuality, more from the PC of it.

16. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
    Well, that is a huge problem, so I can see why it is being addressed. Sad that Roseanne is officially dead....

17. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +313
    LANFORD RESIDENT DIES IN TRAGIC ACCIDENT
    Roseanne 2.jpg
    Lanford, IL - Tragedy struck in this modest, blue collar suburb of Chicago last week when a longtime resident died as a result of injures sustained during a tragic fire. Roseanne Conner, a former line-worker at Wellman Plastics who went on to operate her own diner, The Lanford Lunchbox, passed away at Winnetka Trauma Center after suffering third degree burns to more than 75% of her body. Witnesses say Conner was one of a group of polo shirt clad protesters who carried tiki torches as they marched down Bloomington Avenue. Conner accidentally doused herself in lighter fluid when she attempted to ignite one of several wooden crosses the group erected at Lanford Community Park. Conner's fellow protesters watched in shock as she was quickly consumed by flames. Paramedics responded quickly and rushed Conner to the trauma center where she died two days later. Roseanne Conner is survived by her husband Dan and their three children.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Well, I called it an overreaction from the start. It's a real shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    I thought the same thing. And had Roseanne died in real life, I'd be fine with it going on like this. However, knowing she was fired over a tweet sort of soured it for me.

I think Roseanne can be very insensitive and I find most of her current political beliefs abhorrent. Still, I don't agree with burning a person to the ground because they expressed an unpopular or even an abhorrent view point. Not only was she fired from the show, she was also forced to give up any financial interest in The Conners in order for the cast and crew to keep their jobs. It reminds me of what conservatives did to the Dixie Chicks when they spoke out against Bush overseas. With Roseanne, the decision to fire her was made instantly, and unilaterally it seems. I can see why some ABC executives didn't agree with the decision, and felt the situation required less severe consequences. It was clearly a knee-jerk reaction.

Roseanne had made controversial tweets prior to ABC reviving her show, so it's a bit disingenuous of them to feign shock and outrage when it happened again.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM