CBS or some network should do a 40th Anniversary mini-series in 2018

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by SaveDallasCMT, Oct 8, 2016.

1. SaveDallasCMT

SaveDallasCMT Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +44
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg They could film the Southfork interior scenes in the house at 4800 Park Ln.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,951
    Unfortunately, with several of the key players no longer with us, I'm not sure if a 40th anniversary retrospective/documentary is worth doing on the show, that would be my preferred choice.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    The interior photos exude richness compared to that hideous interior of Southfork TNT. To some 4800 Park Lane may appear dated. I see class and wealth. I also imagine seeing a beautiful painting (not that paint by numbers awful thing) of Jock and Miss Ellie above the fireplace in the living room - as it she be. However, getting back to your question of CBS producing a 40th Anniversary mini-series. Of course I'd love to see something to mark the occasion whether it would be a reunion special or mini-series, anything to acknowledge the original iconic series.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +678
    I too would like a new retrospective documentary.

Or even a reboot mini-series with new actors.

But I'll always love the original Lorimar Dallas. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,844
    I love the idea of a mini-series for 2018 with the original cast and the Southfork interior that we know! :)
    But I would want Josh, Jesse and Julie to be a part of this too though, as the show was never the same without the children. John Ross, Chris and PamBecca needs to be in it and I am not that fond of a recast at this point.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    Looking more closely at those first images of the staircase. Anyone else still see the red wine stain from when Sue Ellen famously threw that bottle at J.R? :p

• Like Like x 4
  7. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    They really shouldn't. The Return To Southfork special plus the three TNT years squeezed life out of the franchise that I thought had been trampled on with War Of The Wings. Give the series some dignity and leave the plug pulled.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SaveDallasCMT

SaveDallasCMT Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +44
    DISAGREE!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Step off, bitch. It's gone to the well much too often. Savor the memories.

EDIT: It's against the guidelines to insult members and name-calling really is scraping the barrel!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
  11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I'd say a movie. A mini series might be asking too much.

Let's say they make Dallas TNT as having been 1 year, 2010. I don't think any contradiction to the story if they did that - none I recall, maybe JRs grave stone. I'm just saying because they acted more like 20 year olds then 30 year olds on TNT and JR could die in 2010 without estate tax - seems like a JR move. Lol

Ok so the return: John Ross and Pamela are separated, but not divorced. She has his son John Ross IV, say age 5 or so - so he's cute. And a little girl. They live at Southfork, separate rooms - so we can see them get back together. He knows she loves him and won't let her go. She loves him but can't let go of her fear because she loves him too much.

Elena's just gone - leave the Ramos story behind unless they get picked up to continue in a series. That story was full of too many problems.

Background: we find out JR set it all up with Carlos so he could take Ewing Global from them all from the grave. Carlos had called in the loans and merged the company with JRs West Star shares to form Ewing Oil. Like BP and SO (Esso) call it EO - bringing back some of the story lines from the movies between the original and TNT series. John Ross inherited his dad's EO shares but has no intention of going into business. He runs the ranch with his uncle (now single as Ann left with Emma for Europe). The merger also included ryland transport as Harris went back to prison per JRs plan and John Ross helped elect judith a us senator. Also mention John Ross's trust from Jock mentioned in the first movie and how Harris CIA contacts work for John Ross's paramilitary company branch water.

Chris survived the explosion and the years of rehabilitation. He works as the VP of EO's alternative energy division and lives in Dallas.

Pamela is VP of the company's diversified investments division.

John Ross is on the board with Bobby who's the non executive chairman and lives alone in the cottage at Southfork.

Josh Anderson (Punks son) is president and CEO of EO.

Lucas and Margret are in Dallas. Lucas Karebs manages an oil rig for EO and is engaged to Amy, Josh's daughter. Margret Krebs is EO's VP of government relations.

One big "happy" family comes together for one night - Bobby's birthday. A storm comes in as the family gathers for a cat on the hot tin roof style showdown during the cocktail hour before dinner.

Christopher will do anything to control EO. Even sleep with Amy. Lucas will do anything to destroy Christopher who - give him a long list of greviences but not the reveal of Bobby as his father or Amy sleeping with Chris - yet.

John Ross tries to pull his family together, bring his wife back to his bed and make peace with his mother.

And then walks in Ellie Ewing, JRs daughter with Cally who also has EO shares.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    4800 Parker Lane was used after the initial 5 episode mini series was expanded to a series. As Michael Preece explains;

Michael Preece directed more episodes of Dallas than anyone. He explains how 4800 Park Lane was used for the interior.

"The house at Southfork is not that big," said Preece. "It couldn't hold all the people on the series who were supposed to live there."

No one knew whether the show would last, so money to build sets was scarce.

"I was directing a show called The Runaways, which I thought was going to be a big hit and go on forever," he said. "Producer Leonard Katzman told me Dallas was a soap opera loosely based on the movie Giant. I thought, 'That's horrible. It's not gonna make it.'"

The Runaways lasted only 11 episodes.

Preece spent more than a decade with Dallas. He helmed some of the most famous episodes, including the Season 2 cliffhanger, "Who Shot J.R.?"

When Season 3 opened with "Who Done It?," 360 million viewers in 57 countries watched. Everyone recognized Southfork.

"By that time, the producers knew they had something good," said Preece. In L.A., interior sets were constructed on the MGM lot. "The house we built was about 10,000 square feet," he said. "It took up three stages." When the show ended in 1991, those stages were dismantled. After the cast reunited in 1996 to film War of the Ewings, those interior sets weren't available. The Casses were not interested in allowing a film crew to return and disrupt their lives. But Katzman and his location manager Nanette Farlow offered $10,000 to the Casses' favorite charity. Mrs. Cass had them send a check to the Dallas Opera Foundation. Then she unlocked her doors for the War of the Ewings crew and J.R. was back at his secret Park Lane Southfork. In 2000, the Casses sold the home to the current owners. In 2003, they had the 1939 mansion extensively remodeled.

The current owners now have this property up for sale. Anyone have some spare change?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    I not sure how long Nanette Farlow worked on the original series run (1978-1991) but she found some amazing properties. I always considered Pam's home (the one where Bobby was run down by Katherine) as a beautiful property. I'm also guessing the Farlow family was named after Nanette...nice touch or coincidence?

14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I would suggest to the owners of South Fork they gut the interior to create the sets: living room, entry and dinning room. I know there's not enough space for the whole house, but the sets would be more a tourist attraction and it's those 3 that are primary.

15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    You're absolutely right. I believe this would be a proactive move by the owners of Southfork Ranch. Give fans of this once iconic show a true experience. I've seen images and video of the interior of Southfork (thanks youtube) and I'll admit I'd be bitterly disappointed after traveling half-way around the world and not seeing that familiar dining room, staircase and living/lounge-room. I'm guessing most visit just to experience the exterior.

I'd suggest the current owners take a look at Southfork (post fire) when the producers appeared to give the sets more opulence. Or should they just replicate what the current owners have done at 4800 Park Lane. Just don't replicate what the set designers did on Dallas TNT.

16. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Not a bad idea, replicate what's done at 4800 Park Lane because what's in those pictures is exactly what I pictured an updated South Fork would have looked like - not what we got. And I think if all they could do was those three spaces to rent as part of their conference space, people would not be disappointed. But from what I've seen I wouldn't even want to go inside. Those three spaces are critical - anything else they could fit would be icing on the cake.

17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    I'm not sure if the current owners have updated the interior of late but the last images I saw the rooms looked rather dark and depressing. The bedrooms are way over the top for my liking. The dining table is way too big for the space. Yep, I think its time for a makeover.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes I agree to a makeover. I love the Park interior idea. But I would do crystal chandeliers.Rich people tend to be conservative in taste. They go classic. Crystal chandeliers are classic. But I would love to have long velvet drapes! Also did you know that photographs can be alterred to look like paintings. Lets get some fabulous photos of Jock,Miss Ellie and JR and then altar them and have them be the paintings.

19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    Every-time I think of velvet drapes I see the colours purple, green or red. They may have their place in some English Palace but not 4800 Park Lane. I love what the current owners have done to the place. It's fresh, modern and beautifully classic all at the same time. Possibly the only room I would change is the kitchen, it's a little dark with all that timber.

If I ever win a huge lottery I'm going to replicate the dining, entrance and lounge/living room of 4800 Park Lane.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I think one last TV movie would be enough to close up the mess that TNT did on Dallas.

• Like Like x 1