Celebrity Big Brother's 8 most complained-about moments ever

Discussion in 'Reality TV Forum' started by Ome, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464
    8. Pete Burns' 'illegal' coat

The former Dead or Alive singer wasn't just in hot water with Ofcom, but also Hertfordshire police after he walked into the Celebrity Big Brother house sporting a controversial coat back in 2006.

Viewers were furious when he rolled up to the launch show boasting that his jacket was made from the fur of gorillas – which is illegal, as the animal is on the endangered species list.

As you can imagine, animal rights campaigners were not happy and filed more than a hundred complaints. Responding to the commotion, police confiscated the garment and took it away to a lab to determine its origin. It turned out the coat was made from the fur of colobus monkeys – another endangered species.

Yet Pete didn't face prosecution in the end because experts believed the fur had been imported in the 1930s or '40s, before it became illegal to import colobus fur in 1975. Which was lucky for Pete, although no less unsavoury.

7. Stephanie Davis's dirty laundry

Poor Steph was left mortified when John Partridge, Christopher Maloney and Darren Day quite literally aired her dirty laundry on Celebrity Big Brother back in 2016.

While sorting out everyone's washing, the men came across a "stained" thong that belonged to the Hollyoaks actress. The trio then began making fun of the star by discussing the "pigeon shit" marks on the underwear publicly.

Stephanie admitted to the house that the knickers belonged to her and shamed her fellow celebs for ridiculing her over it. Ofcom received 249 complaints about the incident, accusing the men of bullying.

6. Ken Morley uses the N-word

We're not sure why this scene was ever aired, but somehow the former Coronation Street actor's words made it on to our television screens and offended pretty much the whole nation.

During a tense conversation with legendary singer Alexander O'Neal, Ken casually dropped the N-word, before going on to use other racially offensive language that your grandparents might use. The shocking moment disgusted viewers, triggering 262 people to complain.

Ken's son Roger was left mortified and issued an apology on behalf of his family, stating on Facebook that he would like to say sorry to anyone "offended by my dad's behaviour".

Despite the outrage, Ofcom opted to drop the investigation. However, the former Corrie actor was removed from the house.

5. "David is dead!"

One of the most memorable moments in Big Brother history is also one of the most complained about. Remember when Angie Best told Tiffany Pollard that "David is dead" but didn't specify which David? Although Angie was talking about her ex-husband David Bowie, Tiffany understandably assumed she meant their housemate David Gest, who coincidentally had been feeling under the weather.

The hysteria that broke out afterwards triggered more than 200 complaints, with viewers describing the scenes as "bad taste".

4. Winston McKenzie's open homophobia

Former UKIP politician Winston didn't do his career any favours when he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother and described adoption by gay couples as "child abuse". He then bizarrely went on to argue his point with the other housemates, including gay actor John Partridge.

As if that wasn't bad enough, in his pre-recorded introduction video, Winston also said he would only be able to "cope with a homosexual in the house" by "standing against a brick wall all the time".

More than 400 complaints were made to Ofcom about Winston's homophobic language. However, Ofcom decided not to investigate Celebrity Big Brother.

3. Coolio falls out all with ALL the women

Former rapper Coolio upset a lot of people during his stint in the Celebrity Big Brother house back in 2009 – notably, all of them women.

In just over two weeks, he managed to fall out with Lucy Pinder, Tina Malone, Michelle Heaton and Sugababe Mutya Buena. Tensions grew so bad that Mutya ended up quitting the show because of the rapper. She told the Daily Mail at the time: "He's a sex pest who would perv on me all the time. It just made my skin crawl."

In total, Ofcom received 527 complaints about Coolio, with viewers accusing him of "misogynistic" and "sexist" behaviour. However, the watchdog dropped the case.

2. Perez Hilton's sexual threats

Ofcom was inundated with just shy of 1,000 complaints after Perez threatened to sexually assault Calum Best back in 2015.

During a very heated exchange, the model told the US blogger to "be the dick", and Perez retaliated by shouting: "I will do, I'll be the huge dick and I'll shove it up your ass."

Outraged viewers not only filed complaints to Ofcom but also to Hertfordshire Police. However, no further action was taken by either organisation.

1. The Shilpa Shetty racism scandal

No surprises here. The most complained-about moment in Big Brother history is the Shilpa Shetty vs Jade Goody/Jo O'Meara/Danielle Lloyd race row in CBB 2007.

Viewers were angered by Jade and co's angry exchanges with Shilpa, perceiving them as racially motivated. An explosive argument about stock cubes spiralled out of control, with Jade telling Shilpa she needed a "day in the slums", while Danielle said Shilpa should "f**k off home" and that she "can't speak English properly". There was also Jade's infamous "Shilpa Poppadom" remark.

A record 44,500 people complained to Ofcom, with a further 3,000 contacting Channel 4.But that's not all. The offensive scenes were picked up by newspapers across the world, sparking international protests, and the scandal was even raised in Parliament.

Shilpa soon forgave Jade for her comments as the pair made up, but the show was taken off the air for a full year afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776
    Pete Burns' coat is by FAR more offensive than most things on this list, but in particular no's 3, 5 and 7. Ugh.

3. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,985
    Our of this list Winston McKenzie is the most memorable for me and maybe its because he was more recent?
    I found him to be a very disturbing character.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,464

I have a vague memory of the Pete Burns one and I never watched the Shilpa series, but remember it hitting the news.

I don't remember the Collio one, and I think the 'David is Dead' was TV gold at its best. I don't understand why people would say it was in bad taste, I'm sure Bowie himself would have been laughing all over the floor at how that came about.

• Like Like x 1