1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Character deaths became too casual

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I’m on the last season of Dallas, and it seems to me like character deaths were taken too casually. Sure, Bobby was torn up about April’s death, but it just had a different feel than when someone died or was even in danger in the earlier seasons. It also seemed like burying her in Paris was a plot device to make it easier to leave it behind and not make it as big of a deal.

Then there was Jordan Lee. I realize he wasn’t a main character, but I certainly viewed him as a part of Dallas; he had been around since season 2 I believe. Wow, he was just snuffed out without so much as a hiccup. And the weird plot he was part of in the end was really bizarre.

Of course, I guess it was already heading in that direction when JR being shot the second time was more of a joke than
    a serious event, and Pam running away was brushed off as well.

I think the light hearted reaction to things like this made me not take the show as seriously.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,363
    Medals:
    Death overall was casual on Dallas. Look at Garrison Southworth, one episode and he's forgotten.

I did find Jordan Lee's exit odd (and morbidly humorous). Why of all people would he be in Paris and connected to this story? I believe he was retired at this time.

It would be interesting to see a 'Dallas Death List' from the original series.

No wonder Gary moved to California to avoid the Dallas grim reaper. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I had brought up how unrealistic was it for Bobby to bury April in Paris. No way her mom agrees to that. Lol And Jordan Lee had no business being apart of the storyline.

Good point about the second time JR got shot. First, he should have been dead. Second, the way it was handled compared to “who shot JR?” was night and day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,363
    Medals:
    Nor would her sister and he got a good slap to the face when Michelle returned to Dallas.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,664
    Jordan Lee’s death should have set off a national day of mourning.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    You could lump this thread in with TNT Dallas because the cavalier way in which Bobby killed off Katherine Wentworth, mid-sentence, was one of the biggest gaffes in Dallas history. I was so distraught on hearing this news I had to do a Sue Ellen and raid the liquor cabinet. I'm now back on the wagon until the next continuation of Dallas :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,800
    Medals:
    I disagree. I remain very angry and disappointed in Jordan after his involvement in April’s death. I can’t let go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,467
    Medals:
    With only partial success...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,486
    Medals:
    I thought April's death was a big deal for Bobby (and Michelle). It fuelled his actions for the rest of the season. And I liked Jordan going rogue, it tied in with his complaints about foreigners taking over the Texas oil industry shortly before he retired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,187
    Medals:
    How did they handle Kristin's death?

11. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,486
    Medals:
    She Ellen was a bit sad. Everyone else carried on swimming in that pool.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well, that is true about Bobby, but it still seemed different in some way. I guess it’s difficult to put into words. Maybe it’s because he was the only one it seemed to bother; everybody else just seemed to go on as usual.
    They even chose not to tell Mrs Ellie. I thought that was strange.

Maybe if looked at more closely, it wouldn’t seem as casual, but something about the last few seasons just seemed hurried and not as serious as the earlier seasons. I still can’t get over the range war. It was interesting, but just not Dallas. I can’t believe how civil the Ewing’s and McKay were after it. I realize they weren’t exactly best buds and still would have seized a chance to give the other a hard time, but I do t think i would have had the time of day for someone who did that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    To be honest I don't think any tv drama really deals with deaths very well, especially the big characters. I think that writers & producers need to big up a death for ratings and once the character has been killed off it's pretty much life as normal with the odd and occasional misty eyed looks from other characters. Writers want to move stories on and therefore they don't dwell on deaths.

But occasionally they do and it's always dreadful. Dallas is a perfect example. When Bobby was killed off we had to put up with Jenna and her emotionally badly acted mourning for nearly an entire season - it was excruciating to watch (and still is).

Then with April's death we had to put up with Bobby's dreams for nearly an entire season with dreadfully excruciating music and slow motion running from April....dear God that was bad.

I think as much as I loath TNT Dallas now (I feel worse about it as the years pass), they did handle Larry/J.R's death fairly well and there were some very touching moments during that season - probably the nearest to real life that Dallas did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Imho, the best handled character death was Jock's. After that, they were handled below ok at best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,291
    Medals:
    I'm not sure audiences require an elaborate, focused handling of the aftermath of a supporting or even tertiary character's death. There are only so many hours in a season, after all.

But core characters' deaths must be handled differently. Jock's death haunted the series for years. Bobby's death was handled adequately, but that was at an odd fulcrumatic place in the show when the writing staff was changing and, unbeknownst to us, he was coming back in a few months.

Pam's exit/death was the major character's death which was most mishandled. I suppose they made a few comments about it, here and there, but it was clear oldDALLAS just "didn't want to go there" in so far as it was obviously linked karmically to the recent shower revival of Bobby which was still terribly controversial. So their use of the Bobby-is-sulking-because-he-keeps-getting-dumped contrivance seemed an apparent ploy to just avoid the topic of Pam's disappearance/death.

Major characters' deaths have to be handled in such a way that the on-screen roles are seen processing the loss as much as the audience is doing. It just can't be ignored. Otherwise, it just pushes that audience further and further away.

[​IMG]

Even nuDALLAS made a valiant attempt to bring Pam's saga to an end. Why didn't oldDALLAS, when they had four years to do so after Victoria (who clearly was never coming back) left the show?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    Perhaps Jock's death is the exception to this rule because I believe (to this day) his death was one of the most beautifully crafted on television. It rippled throughout the remaining years of Lorimar Dallas and eventually into TNT Dallas. This could explain why some (me included) had such an adverse reaction to Wes Parmalle possibly being Jock Ewing.

17. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    I think the reason Dallas usually handled death in the way it did, and maybe why you don't think they handled it well, is because your standard for handling it well - TNT's handling of JR's death - is "probably the nearest to real life that Dallas did." - would be more depressing than they usually wanted to be. They probably didn't usually dwell on a path for a long period of time because it wouldn't have made for what they'd think would be a very enjoyable show. I think they wanted Dallas to be both an escape from real life and a mirror of real life. They changed in what degree it mirrored real life. At it's best there was a fairly good balance of depicting real life while providing an escape from it. At it's worst, they went all the way to the side of trying to be a fun escape from real life while stopping bearing any significant similarity to real life.

While the last couple seasons were probably the two worst seasons they had, I don't think it was because of how they handled April's death. I think they did that fairly well, and they showed Bobby having dreams of April to show how much he was still thinking of her and missing her. The slow motion sequences were their way of letting us know we were watching Bobby's dreams. It was just a way to distinguish dream sequences from what was really happening and I don't see anything wrong with those sequences; I liked them.

18. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Jock's death was handled brilliantly. The scene at the end of the episode where they came back from South America, having found Jock had died, was incredible. Larry Hagman didn't have, or need any words in the closing scene. He just looks up at the sky and at first looked terribly sad, but then his expression changes and we see that his thoughts of changed from how horrible it is that Jock has died, to what an amazing life Jock had, and how he admired and loved Jock. JR looks up at the stars and you can tell he's thinking something like: You're up there now; you're in a good place."

I think there are several reasons so many people had an adverse reaction to the Parmalee storyline, which resulted in them receiving lots of mail from fans expressing their disgust with the storyline. Some reasons it was received the way it was were: Jim Davis had really died and to the fans Jim Davis was the only man they could ever see as Jock Ewing. Having someone else play Jock would be seen as disrespect.

The actor they cast didn't even resemble Jim Davis. Not just his voice but his style of speaking and mannerisms were all wrong. Parmalee didn't even look like he could have been in the horrific accident which was described. It was described in him being burned terribly, especially on his face. When Pam's face was burned, the scars were so horrible she would rather abandon her family than allow them to see her face. Parmalee didn't have any scars on his face. Too bad Pam didn't get his plastic surgeon! They'd also just told us Bobby didn't really die.. They brought Patrick Duffy back as Bobby at the beginning of that season. To have Jock also return, or possibly return in the same season Bobby returned was just too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Medals:
    LOL. I remember a scene with Pam and Bobby swimming in the pool literally a day or two after Kristin's death. Pam was in her depressed/can't have a baby state and said she felt empty and knew how Kristin felt. Bobby also said what a waste it was. Ray did tell Donna that the family felt bad about Kristin when Donna returned home unexpectedly from a trip, but that was about the extent of the grieving. I wonder if Christopher ever found out his birth mother died in the pool that he and his family swam in all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,486
    Medals:
    Oh man, I loved the Wes Parmalee storyline!​

• Agree Agree x 2