1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[CHARACTER] re-casted for season 3

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by tommie, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    More evidence that the "Die Nasty" title may be dooming to any show which uses it. It establishes a negative post-hypnotic suggestion.

This is more optimistic:

[​IMG]

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,545
    I guess this will be a direct recast rather than the whole "Real Cristal" trade they made last season (new character, same name). If so, I hope they will do it with a bit of 'daytime flair'. Daytime soap fans get dragged all the time in social media, etc. but at least we don't get all upset and enraged at a recast like prime time viewers seem to. I'm reminded of several recast situations on daytime soaps where they poked fun at the transition and made the viewer feel like "part of the joke". A character on Days of Our Lives was seen getting "naked" and stepping into the shower. When his onscreen wife opted to join him, the recast was in the shower, and the two of them had sexytimes without skipping a beat. On One Life to Live they had a character flash back to her previous weddings, including one ceremony where she had been played by a different actress. When the scene returned to the present, she looked momentarily confused and opened a compact to examine her face. On Another World they had an actress fall ill just before she had to do a series of important courtroom scenes, so they did an emergency recast and went so far as to put the recast into the outfit the actress had been wearing the day before. They did her hair exactly the same way and even the same accessories...in short, you had to look twice to be sure there had been a switcheroo.

I would like for the Dynasty producers to pick up season three at the lakeside wedding scene, perhaps just after Fallon shows up. We'll see Cristal in the same dress, same hairstyle, same flowers...but Cristal's back will be to the camera as Fallon does her scene. They will augment the scene a bit just to keep Cristal silent and her face unseen until they need her to react to the bodies being recovered, etc.--and only then we'll see she's been switched. She could re-play the reactions of the cliffhanger that A-BC played, then continue with new material.

3. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    They can reshoot some key scenes from the finale, during the wedding - for the "previously on Dynasty"...
    I think they will go this road. Well I hope they will take this road. We had an useless time jump last year. Not twice please.

4. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    I wonder if they will re-shoot some of Cristal's scenes for the recap as they did when Karen Cellini assumed the role of Amanda. I realize I just compared this recast to Cellini, I'm very frightened now and I need a hug.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
  5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Wow. This show really IS a mess!

6. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +913
    The actress is not pretty and is quite heavy, though, not someone Blake Carrington would be with. The new, new, new Cristal makes more sense, actually.

7. Artur

Artur Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +105
    What was the point of recasting Crystal anyway? They've already used up all the important storylines with her from the original: the miscarriage, a conflict with Fallon, fights with Alexis, Mark Jennings. The only one important plot, I don't remember being brought back, was Rita storyline but Celia was Rita's equivalent this time so there is nothing about Crystal's character left, that could be worth seeing. If they wanted to remove the actress they could already let Crystal have a brain tumour and introduce Sable. But then again Sable is Dominique this time so they have only Moldavian Masacre, that wasn't done yet. They can finally do it and call it a day.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,570
    My scenario would have Cristal 2.0 ascend the stairs to change into her "going away" outfit while wedding guests enjoy burnt champagne and Osetrova Caviar. Blake then requests for Cristal to rejoin the guests as they are about to embark on their honeymoon. As she descends the staircase we're introduced to Cristal 3.0.....but I want reactions....something which resembles this...

9. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Yes. NuDynasty is burning Original Dynasty ideas very fast. At this rate, NuFallon will board the spaceship by the end of season 3 :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I can't believe we're in this freaking situation again. Unbelievable! This is like what.... the THIRD time they've recast this character?! Something is definitely wrong behind the scenes. I feel like Cristal as a whole has become severely diminished every time they go back to the drawing board and recast her. I don't know. Maybe at this point they should just get rid of Cristal for good and just have Alexis and Blake be in a push and pull toxic and dysfunctional romantic and sexual relationship. Anything would be better than this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +180
    Sometimes I wish they'd just keep her.

That was the worst! Even the entrance into the pool was subpar...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +913
    The producers should do something tongue in cheek to acknowledge the re-recast. If they’re dead serious, it won’t work, but a little humor will make the transition smoother. Maybe they could mention Cristal getting a makeover or something.....

13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,570
    Why wait until the end of season 3 :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Honestly, I suspect that they originally hired Ana Brenda due to her telenovela pedigree and the latin audience is growing in the US. Considering how mediocre The CW ratings are overall, even 100-200k checking the show out due to curiosity would be a big increase (again, by The CW standards). It also wouldn't surprise me if they had another dreaded "focus groups" survey done and they complained about her heavy accent, so bye-bye Ana Brenda...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Supertalies

Supertalies Soap Chat Newbie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never really felt any connection to Ana BC´s Cristal, so I´m not that sad to see her go. I just hope this new Cristal finally gets to stick around. Having a new Cristal each season is ridiculous.

Curious to see how they handle the recast though. So far they really tried to give an ´in-universe' reason for all the changes, but I feel like just changing the actors without explaining it seems like the best way to go this time. The way the previous season ended I really can't see them incorporating another plastic surgery storyline.

16. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Maybe the new actress will come to the wedding, claiming she's the real real Cristal Flores :D

Just kidding. They won't explain the change. And it's the best way to go now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +686
    On the Instagram account of CW Dynasty, they are A LOT of bad comments towards Ana Brenda Contreras ! Obviously, she was very unpopular. On the contrary, Nathalie Kelley got a lof of nice comments, I just can't understand why the producers didn't call her back. Or maybe they did and she refused, which would be completely understandable...

https://www.instagram.com/cw_dynasty/

18. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,545
    Frankly there's too much tongue-in-cheek humor already. I think (personally) this is the biggest weakening factor to the show, their inability to maintain seriousness. That said, I fully expect them to do something like what you suggest, since it appears they just can't resist. I just hope it is one, defining exchange rather than some running joke.

19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Nathalie Kelley is filming another show currently, The Baker and The Beauty. So she's not really an option either way, but after the way she was let go I could see her not being interested on top of that. I don't get the dislike against Ana Brenda though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,166
    They've already done it: Fallon has called Cristal 2 "Cristal 2".