[CHARACTER] re-casted for season 3

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by tommie, Jul 30, 2019.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Because she’s dumpy and unattractive.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,694
    Medals:
    Like the stage, the suspension of disbelief is much greater with daytime soaps, perhaps because of their disposable, videotaped quality.

Nighttime shows are more literal, like the movies. Unless, I guess, if they keep recasting the same character over and over again, and that just becomes their "thing".

• Like Like x 1
  3. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +199
    They should recast the writing team. Actors and actresses do their job as much as they can considering the crappy stuff they're given. Natalie Kelley was not to blame, and neither is Ana Brenda Contreras. Or whoever is going to be fired ( let's call a cat a cat...) Nicolette Sheridan was lucky to find an honorable exit...
    Plots go nowhere... Characters are led to a dead end cul de sac ( and not a la Knots Landing unfortunately...)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,125
    Viewers comments should be directed at the producers/writers and directors...not the actors. I do recall Nathalie copping backlash in season 1 but that's due to viewers reaction to seeing Cristal splayed out on Blake's desk with her ankles pointing to heaven. Say what you like but many viewers of this reboot would have been comparing original Dynasty to this one, it's human nature. This re-imaging of Cristal was too confronting. As season 1 progressed we discovered not one character had a moral center, a character which ties the family and story together. But as Season 1 drew to it's traditional cliffhanger it showed promise. Of course we weren't aware of the drama occurring behind the scenes. In the end Nathalie was let go supposedly due to the focus groups not warming to her. Of course the producers and writers wouldn't accept any responsibility, they'd rather hide behind their desks and kick the actor out the front door and slam it shut.

Prior to Season 2 premiering and we learn Nathalie is not returning. It would appear Nathalie had taken a course in the Victoria Principle class of how to slam dunk a show-runner. Go girl! But now there was a bigger problem, especially for the writers. Instead of dealing with the aftermath of a good season 1 cliffhanger they went with a time jump and the Carrington family were in party mode. They robbed the viewers of dealing with the fire aftermath. I understand why they did it but the message was received loud and clear. They were desperate to move as quickly as possible from that horrid Cristal 1.0. But now we were left with this empty vessel. What made original Dynasty so damn good in those early seasons was the introduction of Alexis. Here was this mysterious ex-wife, slithering her way back into her ex-husband and children's lives. "Believe me Krystal, there's nothing I want from you," said Alexis to Krystal in original Dynasty.

But with Cristal 1.0 gone what was Alexis going to do in this version? Since there was no Cristal 1.0 to bounce off the writers had to change tack with Alexis and have her do other things...with disastrous results. I mean you wouldn't think they could stuff up such an iconic television character but there you have it. Nicollette copped negative reactions as well but I know she has the goods when given the opportunity.

And now enter Cristal 2.0. Another disastrous turn, especially when Blake and Cristal 2.0 fell in love within what, a few episodes? It felt forced and I wasn't buying the relationship. Season 2 ended up being a complete train wreck. It showed some promise with a brief return of Steven and psycho Adam. However, one of the most iconic characters in television history was dealt an awful blow...Alexis. This IS car-crash television....

.....bring on Season 3 :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Yes, no one had a moral center and that was the prob. However, Cristal 2 fit in even less than 1 did. I am amazed that this show is still on the air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Ana Brenda speaks (sorry, I don't speak spanish. So you'll have the bad google translation)

"Fue una decisión que tomamos en conjunto con los productores y me costó mucho trabajo. Yo venía arrastrando mucha carga de trabajo, estrés y cosas personales que hicieron mi estancia en Atlanta muy difícil y repercutieron en mi salud. "Me llevo todo lo bonito de mi personaje y mis compañeros. Estoy demasiado agradecida con CW (cadena de televisión donde se transmite la serie) y estamos en los mejores términos. De hecho, sigo en contacto con los creativos y no dudo que trabajemos otra vez""

Google translate : "It was a decision we made together with the producers and it cost me a lot of work. I had been dragging a lot of work, stress and personal things that made my stay in Atlanta very difficult and had an impact on my health. I take everything nice of my character and my teammates. I am too grateful to CW (the television network where the series is broadcast) and we are on the best terms. In fact, I keep in touch with the creatives and I don't doubt that we will work another time"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    There's probably some truth in Ana Brenda's response. Atlanta must be a pain in the ass to film in, which is probably why Nicolette Sheridan and even Natalie Kelley were glad to be let go. Unless you're one of the younger cast and its your big break, it probably doesn't have much appeal for the older actors especially since Dynasty isn't exactly a hit.

I like Ana's character in the early episodes, but again the writers ruined her when Mark appeared and her response to Mac spitting in his face, who wasn't to blame for his death.

8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,840
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Soap Gods are my witnesses that Google Translator has much improved!!! :spinning::spinning::spinning:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,949
    Medals:
    That's how I felt about original Dynasty. I love those kind of TV relationships where one minute you're fighting because you are on the complete opposite sides, and the next you're hittin the sack because the argument got heated and it was a major turn-on. Or simply because you just love each other so much that you can fight like cats and dogs without it ruining the relationship. Plus the occasional situations where you're on the same side and work together to defeat the common enemy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,871
    Medals:
    Frankly I think it is easier for them to pin their dissatisfaction on the Atlanta location rather than simply say they are unhappy with the way the producers run the show. It's not like they're being asked to work in the Siberian Gulag. There are lots of other shows that film there (or elsewhere in north GA) and you don't hear lots of complaints about their shooting locations or their facilities, or the actors quitting in large numbers to go back to where they used to live (LA, New York, or wherever).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,125
    Tony can you elaborate? As someone who doesn't live anywhere near Atlanta I'm left wondering is there a bad vibe there.

12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Translation: My ass got fired....

13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,840
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2019-8-4_0-48-50.jpeg

Maybe they have to endure this all day long...
    ...from the Atlanta locals...​

14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    Medals:
    https://tvline.com/2019/08/04/dynasty-ana-brenda-contreras-leaving-cristal-season-3/

Honestly, I'm surprised that they're so willing to let these people go as most people sign multiple season contracts. I assumed the agreed for Nicolette to be let go because of the personal relationship she and Mark Pedowitz has (he worked at ABC when the Desperate Housewives drama went on and even testified at the depositions in her case). They could've probably held Ana Brenda to her contract to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Instead of recasting Cristal, the writers should have sent her back to her family in Venezuela...

This show doesn't need Cristal as nobody seems to know how to write a nice character.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Cristal 2.0 was nice at the very beginning of season 2. And I liked her this way. She was that simple girl, working in a healing center. She was obsessed with Blake, but not in a creepy way; Maybe because she had that "next door woman vibe". Anyway, she was good to him at the beginning. I really thought she was the so needed balance of the show. After she lost her baby, learning she would never be able to have one in the future, there was absolutely no lasting consequence. She was a bit sad for 1 episode...

Then the writers turned her in a kind scheming, manipulative character. They wanted to turn her and Blake into a soft version of "Bonnie and Clyde". It didn't work.

Also, Cristal & Blake didn't have much chemistry. Brenda's "normal next door woman vibe" was both a good and bad point.
    - Good because the show needed someone with heart, seeing the Carrington's world with her "common people" eyes. A bit like original Krytsle, who had hard time fitting in their world. But NuDynasty writers missed that again.
    - Bad because the writers made her behave like she was very confortable with the Carrington universe, even if we, as spectators, could see she didn't fit. I Like Brenda, but each time she was in a group scene, I felt like she didn't really belong there. Writers should have noticed that and use that as a strength, as a constant trait of here character :

"I'm loving you Blake. Genuinely...
    But what the hell this family is about? In what kind of fucked up dysfunctional world did I land??"

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
  18. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I've read she has lost her father... Maybe it's related to her exit?

19. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    This is called psychological projection.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    • Informative Informative x 1