Characters that nearly destroyed series

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Emelee, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    It was still his show (property) and he could do what he wanted with it, but "right before the second season, Roddenberry left." He did that on his own because of his health. That is not the same as being "ousted" as claimed.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...ffect-the-development-of-star-trek-the-next-g

TNG Producer Rick Berman discussed this in an official StarTrek.com interview

Q: Let’s dig into some complicated ground. Roddenberry got sick, became less involved and eventually passed away. What were your thoughts, as the torch was handed on, about following his vision versus doing what needed to be done to make the show work versus any urge you might’ve had to put your own imprint on TNG?

BERMAN: It was never a sense to me of a torch being passed. That all sounds great in retrospect, but things are never quite as clear-cut as that. As the first few years of TNG went on, Bob Justman left the show and Maurice Hurley and I were involved. And then Maurice left and a fellow named Michael Wagner was hired. He lasted a very short time, and then Michael Piller came on. Gene was comfortable with me taking care of the day-to-day supervision of this program that he’d been involved with for about two years at that point, and he stepped back. He’d come to the office every day. He did a lot of correspondence with people. He and I would talk a lot. He’d read some scripts. But his involvement got smaller and smaller as the months went on. Then he got ill and his involvement got quite a bit less. By the time he passed away, I was, I guess you could say, running TNG along with Michael Piller. And I’d been asked by Brandon Tartikoff, at the time, to develop a new show. This was something that I discussed with Gene, who felt very positive about it. But he was quite ill at the time and wasn’t really interested in getting involved with what it was or what it was going to be about. I would like to think that he had faith in both myself and Michael, who I asked to work with me on what became Deep Space Nine.

So, by the time Gene died, there was no sense of “Oh my God, this great responsibility has been put on my shoulders.” I was doing the job I’d been doing for a couple of years and Gene had become, in a sense, a producer emeritus of the organization. I had absolutely no thoughts about putting my own imprint on Star Trek. My interest was to continue to try to do the best work that I could and to hire the best people that I could and to continue on with what Gene set out to do with TNG. It was my hope that the direction we went in with DS9 – and onward with the other shows -- was something he would have thought was the right direction to go. I don’t see myself, nor have I ever seen myself, as a visionary who wanted to put his ideas onto the show. I wanted to be as truthful as I could to Gene’s vision, and that was something I was more than comfortable with.

I don't disagree. Which may be what prompted the actor's homophobic comment.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Well, there's differing versions on why Roddenberry "left."

Either way, he was poison for TNG and it was best he leave due to ("ahem...") "health problems."

3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,825
    Damn! They were annoying and I didn't like how the producers tried to make out they were there all along.

That said, I thought their exit story was one of the most disturbing twists of the entire show.

[​IMG]

4. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    You keep insisting he could have been ousted from a show he owned the rights to and even when your own quoted source stated "he left." I have read reports he was difficult to work with, and they may well be true, but the statements about third season being instantly better than the second are unfounded. If anything, they were treading some of the same water in year 3: season 2 had "The Measure of a Man" and season 3 did the same theme with "The Offspring" (and got flak for that). Season 2 has "The Emissary" with Worf's lover and she is used again in "Sins of the Father." Even the third season finale was to have been the season two finale, but they had to do a clip show for budget reasons.

5. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    The show-destroyers managed to render the whole crew laughable by the ridiculous ending and the laughable sixth season parallel universe, although to be honest as soon as I saw the frozen donkey wheel I could smell the sharks circling, waiting to be jumped over. So, I think Nicki and Paulo were the warning shot. The guy playing Paulo is a damn hot actor though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,825
    I loved the ending, it was a perfect way to finish a thoroughly enjoyable drama.

But I get its marmite, you either love it or hate it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Hate is a very mild word for it. I vowed never to watch anything again having the names of these two. And as I said, it wasn't just the ending. The whole sixth season I found implausible, and even that island-moving wheel was too much. It's just amazing how much promise this show had in season 1--I remember the pilot was the most nail-biting thing I had seen on TV until then.

But I love the marmite reference (which I also hate :D)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,825

I found most of the story pretty much implausible, but somehow it managed to pull me in and I was in it for one hell of a ride. I find stories involving the afterlife really fascinating and something I want to believe in. That doesn't mean I do believe, but what if it is real? That question alone excites me.

They threw so much at the audience, many of which still don't have answers, though I also enjoy not knowing everything, especially in a sci-fi capacity.

The sixth season for me was just incredible, the idea of those characters coming together in the different situations was a real highlight of the whole story. I found myself totally immersed in everything and to date, it's the only show I've watched where I've screamed at the TV, or jumped off the sofa in shock and even gotten emotional over the love between the characters. Another treat throughout was the battle between science and faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    We had that in common!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    I'll take him.

[​IMG]

11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    For here, or to go? :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    Funny that no one mentions the only character that actually almost destroyed DALLAS
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +445
    All I know is that Denise Crosby asked Roddenberry for do and he said that the show would always be about the Picard/Data/Riker angle. Gates McFadden herself claimed that, while the show took place in the future, misogyny was what was thing place behind the scenes. Crosby left, McFadden was fired, and Marina Sirtis (who was going to be fired herself, but got repreve) was just happy to get whatever work they gave her. While I didn't mind her, McFadden was replaced by Diana Muldaur (whom fans loathed). There were also rumors that Roddenberry was letting friends of his write episodes that didn't have proper credentials with the Writers Guild. His Wesley love was weird, too. When he "left," the franchise exploded in popularity.

14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I don't agree. And many other programmes have brought characters back from the dead since. Despite saying they wouldn't. They did.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    Well then I guess I misunderstood the 400 threads about that "horrible" dream solution and how it "killed" the show's credibility.
    Sorry, my mistake.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    I don't think anyone has an issue with that, soaps do it all the time, in fact it's almost expected. It's the wiping out of a whole season and viewers reaction to that that's issue.

17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    You don't have to be so rude Willie. Not everyone has to have the same opinion, but you are stating your opinion and backing it up with alleged evidence to try and make it a fact.

I personally loved the dream and don't agree it killed the shows credibility. There are not 400 threads about the dream. I've been here since 1998, monitoring the boards, so don't exaggerate. Even if there were 400, it doesn't mean they are fact.

This is a forum for debate - not everyone is going to agree.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    Well like I said:
    So obviously it was a little tongue-in-cheek, although it makes perfect sense, considering the title of this thread. Actually it's the funniest post I've ever made.
    I exaggerated to make a point. I don't know the exact number, it could be 200 or 500 (including the pre-crash discussions).

I don't care if it killed the show or not, all I know is that most fans dislike it, based on the many many many discussions on this very forum.
    Don't say it isn't true.