Characters Who Should've Gone to Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I wondered what would happen if Bobby and Pam did manage to get to Knots, which was permanently postponed by J.R.'s shooting. How would that have affected both shows? I think both were needed on Dallas during that time, so it was for the best. I wish Ray had managed to go there. He could have gone there in 88 or 89 after a bad fight with Jenna. He and Gary begin to bond, and Gary offers him a job as foreman at Westfork. Bobby should have finally gone there with Christopher in 1991 or 1992. It is explained that J.R. did not die and moved to Europe, like J.R. Returns detailed. Bobby felt uncomfortable at the ranch with no one around and decided to move Christopher to Knots. I could see Kate Whitaker with Bobby more than Gary. Lucy should have moved there with Mitch in 1985, I think. If not then, then anytime after that, especially for Valene's supposed funeral.

2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Lucy and Mitch should have moved to Knots Landing instead of Atlanta. It would have made most sense. It would have been fun seeing Lucy interact with her parents, stepmom Abby, grandma Lilimae, siblings and stepsiblings. Oh and Uncle Joshua and aunt Cathy too.

Abby could have gotten jealous that Lucy and Gary bonded over Bobbys death since they were both in mourning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    Dallas characters appearing on Knots invariably felt a a bit like a publicity stunt - which is exactly what they were, of course. It was fun seeing JR striding across the cul de sac, looking larger than life; Or Kristin taking complete advantage of Val while seducing Kenny; Or Diana Fairgate describing Lucy as a Kewpie doll. But there was a sense of knowing about them that took Knots somewhere a little meta and often felt a little contrived.

I suppose the biggest problem with the Dallas characters on Knots is: what do they do once they've arrived? Especially since they're already involved in their own dramas. The other issue is that the tones were quite different on both series. Even having JR involved in a significant arc in the run up to Knots Season Two's cliffhanger had an air of novelty to it.

That said, Patrick Duffy as Bobby seemed to fit in well with the tone of the show (perhaps it helped that his final Knots appearance took place on Southfork). I'd have been up for another crossover from him early in '82 when he was in California anyway. Ostensibly he'd visit Gary for brotherly support in the aftermath of Jock's death, but remember that Kristin had stayed with Gary and Val when pregnant. Bobby could have discovered this and be trying to find out more about it in his investigation into Jeff Farraday. So there's tension already. Bobby might pick up on Gary's feelings for Abby (Lilimae would be glad to fill in the details, I'm sure). And he might also be inclined to talk over his concerns about Pam and Christopher to someone with a little objectivity. Throw in that Valene during this time was writing about her past with the Ewings and there's more tension. Perhaps a conversation between Val and Bobby would remind her of things she wanted to write out. Or fill in some gaps. And it would reinforce Val's later horror on discovering that her writing had been published.

If Pam was in tow during this time, great. But truthfully when I try to imagine Pam on the show it feels forced and contrived. Even though she and Gary had bonded over their outcast status back in '78, I can't see her interrupting her own Dallas dramas at this point.

Many years ago, the one and only fanfic I started to write involved Ellie visiting Gary and Val around February 1981, still upset that Ray had, in her view, taken Gary's place at Southfork (this is after the conversation Gary and Ray had at Lucy's wedding). It's a shame Barbara Bel Geddes never wanted to appear as Ellie would have plenty of reason and inclination to visit Gary.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Well Gary was a Ewing so I didn't mind the odd Dallas guest appearance. And there's a delightful bizarreness about fictional characters appearing in another fictional world - and it already started with Gary and Valene of course.

Miss Ellie bought the house for them so there's a significant connection, it would have been perfectly normal if she had visited her favourite son ("could you bring some light bulbs please?")
    And yet I think some characters need to have a certain exclusivity, that's why I'm glad that Linda Evans and Joan Collins never appeared on The Colbys.

Kristin on Knots totally worked for me, but my favourite crossover-moment was a telephone conversation beween Abby and Miss Ellie. She called the other soap!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    I doubt there would be any crossovers between the shows between
    1986 & 1991, since on KNOTS Bobby remained dead.

However aside from Lucy crossing over,I like the idea of Ray becoming a permanent resident of California, the Oil Baron brothers on DALLAS and two Ranch owning brothers on KNOTS, I always wanted to see more of Ray and Gary's relationship since they were very similar, yet ironically it was Jock who preferred Ray over Gary there could be conflict over this.

Ray actually does seem like a natural fit for KNOTS now when I think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I could even see Ray, Jenna and Charlie moving to California/Knots, after they left Dallas. Charlie could have become Michaels new girlfriend. :D

7. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Perhaps Knots would have written Jenna more appropriately. I could see her opening her boutique in Downtown KL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I myself could have seen Jenna working for Lute Mae in her Flamingo Road business...:spinning:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Randy could hitchhike to California because he's Greg Sumner's illegitimate son.

10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +357
    I would have liked to have seen Miss Ellie (and maybe Clayton) on an episode of Knots Landing after Bobby's death. But as Barbara Bel Geddes had only just been reinstated in the role of Miss Ellie on Dallas (to much controversy and litigation), I suppose going over to Knots Landing for an episode was out of the question.

11. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sue Ellen should have moved to Knots Landing when she left Dallas. I think she'd have fit in well with the residents there. She could have set up her film production company there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    All the psychos: Katherine, Jessica, Roger Larson, Angelica Nero...They clearly belonged there...along with Joshua Rush et al.