Chase minus the beard

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Arlene Halloran, May 2, 2018.

1. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    After seeing a photo of Robert Foxworth minus his beard, in season 7 do you think he should have gone at least one season without in the show?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    No, because that would have made it seem that the only reason he was with a 'cheerleader' was for no other reason than that he was having a midlife crisis. Going without it should have happened in an earlier season, with Maggie affectionately commenting on his changed appearance.

3. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I wouldn't have changed the Season 6 cliffhanger, btw. But I would have liked to have seen the original plans for Chase and Richard play out as intended in Season7 -- half season off, half season on for each -- but, sadly, they were scuttled by the change in showrunners. Had the original plans played out, that would have been the end of Maggie and the boys is what I've read.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    In my first post, I was referring to Chase in his in-person seasons, contrasting his time with Gabrielle and Maggie; not how he looked in Nicole’s photograph of him.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Chase was in the minority among the 80’s primetime show male characters because of his look. There were not all that many prominent characters with a beard, for all the time they were on their shows. Other examples were the 2nd Digger Barnes, Sean McAllister and Wes Parmalee. They were like the bearded main four and should be remembered as so.

The annual Connoisseurs International Wine Tasting awards are underway. Chase, Maggie, Angela, Emma and Dwayne are in attendance, for Gioberti Wineries and Falcon Crest. Richard slips in later, (a scene from season 5, 1985 – ’86):

Awards presenter: “Ladies and gentlemen the moment of truth is upon us. Tomorrow night we will be making our formal presentations at our awards banquet but tonight we will all learn which wines are the fairest in the land.”

Angela smirks and looks optimistic.

Awards presenter: “And now for best Cabernet Sauvignon. Winslow Wineries.”

Richard appears. He pecks Maggie on the cheek. Shakes Chase’s hand and greets Angela, “Hello hi Angela!”

Awards presenter: “And now for our final envelope, best Chardonnay. This category was particularly challenging, having the greatest number of competitors both from Europe and the United States. And this year’s winner is first time entrant Chase Gioberti, Gioberti Wineries, with his Gioberti Chardonnay Reserve.”
    Angela expected to win but now looks bitterly disappointed and very green eyed. Chase takes to the podium, as everyone applauds.

Chase: “Thank you! Thank you very much. This is truly a honour. I owe a great deal to my wife Maggie and to my son Cole, for their unfailing support and their contributions. I would also like to acknowledge at this time Angela Channing. Who is responsible over any other individual for this success. Her old fashion methods have provided me with the impetus to develop new more daring and apparently very successful processes of wine making.”

Chase announces something else which leaves Angela absolutely livid.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    When Maggie had amnesia in 1985 Chase had an opportune time to go clean shaven then. It was as good a time as any.

7. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +405
    No! I couldn't have imagined Chase without his beard, just as I couldn't imagine him not drinking and producing sparkling wine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    What were the original plans for Chase & Richard in season 7?

9. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Oops! My very, very bad. Apologies, I meant to say "Season 8".

About Jeff Freilich's plans for S8....

First, let me say this: Freilich worked longer hours on set than other FC showrunners and several among the cast and crew were upset by this, according to him. They were used to shorter days, going home earlier, but Freilich had the backing of Jane Wyman, and everyone had to adjust to the new work style.

Like 2 stags, Freilich and Foxworth started butting heads. Freilich felt he was being tested. He also felt that Foxworth had lost interest in his character and noticed he was triggering tension in some others). Freilich decided he wanted Foxworth off the show for good – until he found out that Foxworth was under tremendous stress because his life partner, Elizabeth Montgomery (before she became Foxworth’s wife) was gravely ill. Freilich said he came to realize that "the other cast liked Foxworth", but that the guy was "often misunderstood". ….The two men mutually agreed that Foxworth would leave because Foxworth badly wanted family time; but from then on it was always in Freilich’s mind that he would ask Foxworth to return in S8 – though that depended on whether Foxworth would be willing to return. Chase was not dead and gone, but in limbo.

Freilich never knew he would not be returning as showrunner for S8 until 2 weeks before Lorimar’s development season was due to start. He woke up one day to learn he had been assigned to develop another show. (Lorimar had changed ownership by this time, I think. And there was displeasure over Freilich’s repeated blowing of the budget.)

So, unaware that he was not going to be allowed to continue as FC showrunner, Freilich had laid the groundwork for the Season 8 that he wanted in the last two episodes of S7, which he directed. (And ended up digging his own grave on FC, because he treated it like he was making a 2-hr movie and blew the budget even more.)

The plans:
    He wanted Maggie to still be in danger from The 13 after Rosemont’s death – not the watered down S8 version we eventually got from returning showrunner Michael Filerman, but one which continued the excitement and suspense of S7. Freilich generally liked to maintain a brisk pace, and have synthesized music (both of which Filerman disagreed with and scraped when he came in).

Freilich had wanted the audience to keep wondering who Angela was talking to in the chapel, Chase or Richard. His plan was to bring Richard back in the middle of S8. He wanted Angela and Melissa to switch positions: Angela to become Melissa’s victim. He wanted the audience to side with Angela in her battle to get Falcon Crest back. They planned to keep Frank around. Freilich wanted to reunite Lance and Melissa, and for Angela to conspire with Richard. Richard would then be pitted against Lance and Melissa, with Richard seducing Melissa. Freilich said he toyed with the idea of Richard revealing himself to Melissa first before revealing himself to Maggie.

He’d wanted Maggie to move away with the boys and lead a separate life, not knowing that her “husband” was still alive. I’ve always found it curious that Freilich said “husband”, without specifying who: Chase or Richard. Freilich said he wasn’t given the chance to meet & share his plans and team’s storylines with Filerman, who replaced the entire writing staff. The tone and direction of the show changed. And all forgot about Chase, about bringing him back into the land of the living.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    So, they'd both return but we wouldn't see Maggie's reaction. Talk about killing the best drama.

Then I'd rather have him (RF) return in the finale episode.
    "Hello Angela, how's tricks?"
    In that case it would end with a cliff hanger, but I don't think we'd need to see more. We don't need to see that battle all over again. But it's good enough to know that Angela will get her comeuppance, and that there is never going to be peace in the valley.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    I just found S7 way too shlocky, although the use of locations was nice.

12. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Minus the beard? What would Angela say?

13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Just NO. Chase IS THE BEARD! ;)
    It would be like a bold Maggie or Angela. Ugh!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Er, did you mean to type "bald"? :cool1

15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,994
    It definitely wouldn't have worked for Maggie but I reckon Angela could have rocked it.

mingang.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2