1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cher, the Actress

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Feb 4, 2020.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I was wide awake the morning around five o'clock, and I finished watching Mermaids, starring Cher and Winona Ryder. I vaguely remember watching it as a child with my mother, and I have it on DVD now. It came on some MGM-HD channel last week, and I recorded it for an easy re-watch at my leisure.

I watched the remaining seventy percent this morning before work.

It generated interest in Cher, whose always been a favorite performer of mine. I say performer because it's hard, in my mind at least, to pin a specific label on Cher. She's a singer, sure. She's a television star, definitely. She's more than capable of handling her own in films, obviously. In hindsight her film career is spotty and abbreviated in comparison to her considerable talent in the field.

Recently, I revisited her Oscar-winning vehicle Moonstruck, a viewing that brought renewed interest and fondness for the film. She appeared in a handful of other good films, such as Mask and Suspect, but seemed unable to find many more roles that fueled any significant interest. She evidently turned down a host of roles following her 1988 Academy Award win, and instead used her regenerated celebrity to rekindle her soloist career as a songstress.

What's your thoughts? How does Cher fair as an actress in your book?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Cher is a wonderful actress and I think one that is very underrated. She gets a raw deal from some people and is still seen as a bit of joke to some. I have loved everything I have seen her in. She's also great in Silkwood and The Witches of Eastwick, and another favourite of mine is Tea with Mussolini, which has a brilliant cast all round. She sure seems to have been very picky with her roles though, which is a shame as I could watch her over and over. There is a lot of truth that comes from her as an actress and I always believe in the character she is playing even if she's not really what you'd think of right away for that character. Which is a sign of a brilliant actress.

I think that part of the reason she has been so picky in her roles is that she refused to be type cast or pigeonholed into roles for the majority of her career. After Moonstruck she probably got sent a million romantic comedy scripts, after Eastwick she was likely offered a million sexy seductress roles. I like that she's played fewer roles than most leading ladies but that they have all been very varied.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    A great video documentation of Cher's Oscar win.

4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,866
    No one has mentioned Mask (1985) and her brilliant performance in that film and I think her best performance as an actress.

My favourite film of hers is Suspect (1987).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    It's a great role, also one of my favourites but it is mentioned in the original post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I believe Mask was the first film I vividly remember watching Cher in. She's brilliant in it. If we're being honest, she should have gotten her Oscar for that role, probably.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Addict EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I love Cher as a actress, my favorite movies from Cher are Mask, Silkwood, Moonstruck, Suspect (great thriller movie), The Witches of Eastwick and Mermaids, i thinks you can place Cher in the line like Barbra Streisand and Bette Middler, who are great singers that also can really act.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    Better to have a short list of good roles than a long list of crap.

Your accountant might disagree, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Words to live by.

It seems some confuse quantity with quality, thinking the two go hand-in-hand, or are perhaps interchangeable. It couldn't be further from the truth. In the long run, Cher was smart in taking fewer, but better roles, therefore cementing her multi-talented abilities as a singer-actress strong hold to be reckoned with. Few of her contemporaries transitioned so effortlessly from one medium to the other, but Cher did as if she had done it since the day she was born. While some might argue she never matured or developed as an actress, I'd say her realistic and layered performances show range far beyond most pop singers that want to be movie stars.

Cher did both.

Would I have liked her to make more movies? Certainly. But it's probably a good thing she didn't. If she had of made more movies, she probably would have stumbled across some stinkers, and her reputation, even with an Oscar win, would have been tarnished. Her crossover attempt would be viewed as a failure because the majority would only look at the bad apples, therefore ruining the bundle.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,565

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    Cher also admitted that her hair care commercials after her Oscar ruined her movie career.

It's an open question as to whether McConnaughey will suffer the same fate. But people need to learn the lesson Clooney and DiCaprio have: defecate your product promotional work on another continent if you need extra funds.

I just hope we never find out Streep did a series of Tampax ads in China where she's a legend.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,777
    I think Cher is a very good and very under rated actress

Along with @Angela Channing - I think that Mask and the very under rated Suspect with Liam Neason are 2 of her best, the second one being very suspenseful

Mask makes me cry and I went straight out and bought a best of Bob Segar CD once I watched it. love the music and had the added bonus of Walt Driscoll aka Ben Piazzza from Dallas as the head teacher (if my memory is correct)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Being an obvious and vocal wig wearer ruined her haircare commercial career though.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I love Cher as an actress. Silkwood, Mask, and Moonstruck she hit home runs. Has anyone seen Faithful? I haven't yet, but I've heard it's underrated.

15. ginnyfan

ginnyfan Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Love Cher. She managed to succeed and reach top in all fields of showbiz and that's something very unique. Who else has sold millions of albums, sold millions of tickets on tour, had a hit tv show and won an Oscar???

Mermaids are my favourite, probably. I watched it so many times and it's always equally enjoyable. It doesn't hurt that it has another one of my favourites, Winona.

Another important thing. Cher is a huge classic movie fans, and I mean for real, not just Monroe/James Dean/Audrey stuff. She knows her 30s & 40s character actors and appeared on TCM in the past discussing movies with Robert Osborne. Some of those videos are on You Tube.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,665
    I like Cher´s music and persona, but I can´t get into her acting stuff. I honestly think that she stole the Oscar from Glenn Close, Meryl Streep and Holly Hunter. The votes probably were split between the first two, and Cher ended up winning it. I don´t even like "Moonstruck" as a movie... I loved Cher in "Silkwood" though, and she did deserve an Oscar for that as Best Supporting Actress.

I´m not the right person to talk about her movies because I have avoided watching them for decades. I did like her in "The Witches of Eastwick" and even found her bearable in the godawful thing she did with Cristina Aguilera a few years ago. I think Cher was too much for the 80s American cinema: it didn´t really deserve someone like her (a personality instead of a versatile actress) in the decade that was dominated by the likes of a Meryl Streep. Cher is unique giving interviews and, as I said, is one of the greatest pop stars alive. Oh and besides she inspired this hilarious parody...

17. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,854
    I love Cher, I love her films, and her music.
    Mask was amazing she was brilliant in that film. I love Suspect and Witches of Eastwick. She was great in Silkwood, Mermaids and Moonstruck too.

• Like Like x 3