1. My god, I thought you were someone to rely on

2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Cher's Dancing Queen

Discussion in 'Music' started by The Holiday Whore, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Medals:
    I have not really listened to the new album "Dancing Queen of Cher on Spotify, but I've been listening to a lot of ABBA music lately, maybe I'll buy the new Cher album if it sounds good to me." I was hoping for several songs from ABBA on an album, perhaps a good idea to make a sequel because ABBA has too many beautiful songs to really honor ABBA on one CD. ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Medals:
    I just got tickets to see Cher's Here We Go Again tour in Belfast in November! So excited now!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Medals:
    Congratulations on your tickets to the Cher concert in November @Alexis. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Medals:
    Enjoy Alexis! I'm sure you'll have a blast. I saw her a couple of years ago and it was a really fun show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    I also got tickets to see Cher in Stockholm in october. I'm looking forward to it. :) I've never seen her in concert before.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Medals:
    My tickets arrived today! So quickly, that's the quickest I have ever had tickets arrive. Like it was 2 days!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Medals:
    You're going to have a blast! Can't wait to hear about it from you and Alexis. I'm considering going to one of her Vegas dates in August.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Medals:
    Congratulations to you too on your tickets to the Cher concert in October @Karin Schill. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    Not related to 'Dancing Queen', but this just came up in my YouTube suggestions, and with Cher and Madonna currently having their own album threads here in the Music Forum, here's a little compilation of Cher's thoughts on Madonna.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,187
    Medals:
    I think Madonna is the artistic version of Paris Hilton. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,486
    Medals:
  12. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,187
    Medals:
    That B&B version sounds a little less horrible than The Young Ones feat. Cliff Richard (Living Doll).

13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Okay so my mom and I went to see Cher's concert last night and it was amazing. She sang pretty much all of the hits songs that I love, she had lots of interesting scenography, costumes and hair colors. It was definitely a treat and it made me happy to watch it. It felt like going to a big party. :danc:
    I also learnt some new things. Like for instance I never knew before that her mom took her to see an Elvis concert when Cher was 11 years old. :elvis:

Anyway I thought I'd share a couple of photos. :)

Cher 013.JPG One of the first songs she sang was "Strong Enough" where she spotted this very "natural" hair color... ;)

Cher 015.JPG
    Not a live animal. But this number did have an exotic flair to it.

Cher 028.JPG
    The most touching moment of the show was when she sang a duet with Sonny's ghost. She said she wasn't sure she wanted to do the song since it made her feel sad. I seriously felt my eyes tear up watching this.

Cher 034.JPG The ABBA songs were fun.

Cher 046.JPG I was surprised but pleased when she sang "After All" since I love this 80's power ballad!

Cher 054.JPG This song had people in the audience dancing.

Cher 057.JPG From a distance she doesn't look any older than she did back in 1989 when this song was new. I guess that was the point too!

Over all I feel grateful that I was able to watch this woman live in concert. They also showed some highlights from her career on the screens. What amazes me though was her Oscar acceptance speech where she said something along the lines of "not being a somebody but I guess this means I'm well on my way!". It is towards the end of this clip:

I mean she's Cher for crying out loud so how could she ever believe she was not a somebody?

IMHO she is a living legend. :hat:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That Snowy Girl

That Snowy Girl Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    I am so glad you got to see Cher. I just love the pictures and too me it looks like a combination of her Dressed to kill and her Farewell tour concerts but with awesome new costumes! I agree going to see Cher is like going to a huge party. She is one of the best entertainers with all her costume changes and the way she interacts with the audience and she is funny too! Oh and her dancers are amazing!!!!

That is usually the second song she sings...did she start off with I still haven't found what I'm looking for by U2? I love that hair and costume. Fantastic pictures Karen...how close where you to her?

She used the mechanical elephant in her farewell tour too. She hit her head when she came out on stage just slightly the elephant was so high. :D

This was one of the best parts of the concerts I saw her perform. It was very touching. Some people say she is very cold when it comes to Sonny but I don't think that. I think he still holds a special place in her heart.

I bet that was the Shoop Shoop song?

When we saw her on her Dressed to Kill tour her last song was I Hope You Find It. She came out on a high wire across the whole stadium while she sang this it was amazing. It was a nice change up since she usually ends with Believe but that is a great one too!

She has had a hit record in every decade since 1965!

I even got my hub enjoying going to see her in concert. I am not sure if we will make it to this one so thank you for sharing and I am so happy you had such a wonderful time. :hugs:

EDIT: Just taking another look at your pics. Her backgrounds were amazing and I just noticed the shoop shoop background. Oh what fun!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Thank you! :hugs:
    I sure did have a wonderful time and I am glad I was able to share the experience with my mom too. She had fun too!
    Cool that you've gotten your husband to go with you to Cher concerts too. It's hard not to enjoy her concert. She also got excellent reviews in four Swedish newspapers. :10:

Now as for the things you were wondering about:

Thank you. I am glad that you like the pictures. Our seats were on the first bleachers, right in front of the stage. So I guess about 40 meters from the stage or something like that. We could see her move on the stage but to be able to see her clearly I needed to watch the TV screens or use the zoom on my compact camera.

You are right that "Strong Enough" was the second song. The first song she sang was "This is a Woman's World".

Agreed that she is one of the best entertainers out there. :)
    Oh and she also had a warm up act that was surprisingly good. A band from Wales who lives in NYC. They were called "Bright Light".

I agree about Sonny. I think she truly loved him. I mean even after they were divorced she didn't say anything bad about him in this clip with their daughter.

Also I think this clip where they sang together for the last time is also very telling:

There were definitely some feelings of affection left lingering in the air between the two of them.

Anyway back to the concert. She did end her concert with "Believe" this time which is fine by me as I remember dancing to it at the nightclubs when I first started going out in the late 1990s. :danc:

True that she has had a very successful career and it is unique to have as many hit records over such a long period of time as she has had. It is a remarkable achievement. But also testimony to her lasting popularity. :hat:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Medals:
    I really cant not wait to go see her next Sunday! I am so excited. It's kind of a life long dream for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    That is great @Alexis Have a great time at the concert and do tell us what you think about it afterwards, ok?
    Having now seen Cher in concert, I don't think you are going to be disappointed! :spinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. That Snowy Girl

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    Her shows always sell out and fast. Sounds like you were close enough to get those great pics. I have been to I think it's up to 9 of her shows now. The last one I had nose bleed tickets but it was still great fun. I even flew to Las Vegas to see her at Caesars palace on her birthday. I think that was in 2008. I am bad with dates.

That is a great song for her to end on. The audience always joins in singing with her. I just love her!

I agree. She has been amazing for so many years. She received the Kennedy Center Honor back in 2018 I was lucky enough to see this on TV.

https://www.apnews.com/3a967611b161472ab7e9359e184a50e5

I even have all of the Sonny and Cher shows on DVD. :D

Soak it all in because your in for the time of your life! Take Pictures please and fun Alexis I am glad to hear that your fulling a life long dream. You won't be disappointed! :danc:

I will look forward to hearing your reviews after seeing her. :dance:

I found her set list...it's a good one!

1. Woman's World
      Play Video
    2. Strong Enough
      Play Video
    3. Gayatri Mantra
      Play Video
    4. Gayatri Mantra
      Play Video
    5. All or Nothing
      Play Video
    6. The Beat Goes On
      (Sonny & Cher song)
      Play Video
    7. I Got You Babe
      (Sonny & Cher song)
      Play Video
    8. You Haven't Seen the Last of Me
      Play Video
    9. Welcome to Burlesque
      Play Video
    10. Lie to Me
      Play Video
    11. Waterloo
      (ABBA cover)
      Play Video
    12. SOS
      (ABBA cover)
      Play Video
    13. Fernando
      (ABBA cover)
      Play Video
    14. Cher Movie Montage
      Play Video
    15. After All
      Play Video
    16. Heartbreak Hotel
      (Elvis Presley song)
      Play Video
    17. Walking in Memphis
      (Marc Cohn cover)
      Play Video
    18. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)
      (Betty Everett cover)
      Play Video
    19. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
      Play Video
    20. I Found Someone
      (Michael Bolton cover)
      Play Video
    21. If I Could Turn Back Time
      Play Video

22. Encore:
    23. Believe

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  19. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Medals:
    Well I had an amazing time at the show. Actually had a pretty amazing day. I went with my best friend and we went out early and went for cocktails at the Grand Central Hotel first which was really nice. Then we went to one of our favourite restaurants for dinner and then off to the show. It was everything I expected it to be and more. I was astounded at how much energy and life Cher has in her at 73! She put on a better show than some I have seen by people almost a quarter her age! She was funny, witty and sharp. And she looked and sounded amazing.

She has such a good aura coming off of her. She is no-nonsense, shoot from the hip but she's not bitchy there is no trace of mean. She's lovely. I have always thought that about her but seeing her live really confirmed that. She tells it like it is, but without meanness.

Her voice was amazing, still so strong and she nailed every dong. When we got out seats we had a look to see what our section was like and the people behind us, a few girls were a little older than us. My friend started talking to them and said, I hope you are gonna get up and dance in a jokey way. They said they weren't sure, and he assured them that most would be on their feet and that we certainly would. In the end they did get up, but most in our section did too. We danced pretty much all the way through it.

She had a bit of long monologue/story after about the first 3 songs and chatted about turning 40 and how she felt back then. And about how at that time the director of The Witches of Eastwick, and Jack Nicholson didn't want her in the role as they thought she was too old. All the while she was very funny and had the audience in stitches.

There was a lot of love from the audience and she seemed to be really enjoying herself and having a ball. It was a dream come true and something I have wanted to do since I was a child. I have loved Cher as long as I can remember. Probably I first was enchanted and fascinated with her back in the very early '90s with Turn Back Time after that I delved into her '60s stuff and the '70s torch songs and everything that came after.

It was an amazing night and she was better than I could have imagined.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. That Snowy Girl

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    I knew that you would love her in concert. I have never been to one of her shows that everyone isn't up and dancing.

She is funny when she was here she went to Wegmans and when she did her comments at the beginning of the show she said going into Wegmans was like being on acid there were so many different kinds of tomatoes.

She even went to an ice cream parlor and served ice cream!

There really isn't much more I can say about her shows. I did want to ask did you see her in her new Half Breed outfit. It's gorgeous!

Really glad you fulfilled your life long dream of seeing her and that she didn't disappoint...she never does!

So happy for you! :dance:

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)