Childhood Toys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Medals:
    Does anyone remember a really strange or unique toy from childhood?

When I was growing up I loved (still do) dolls. I remember my granny buying me these little tiny dolls in a peanut shell. You know as you get older you start to think 'was I imagining that?' and then you realise it actually existed.....

upload_2019-7-10_16-28-11.jpeg

Ah. Wish I could turn back time sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    Medals:
    I recall one of the girls down the street had a "Lite-Brite" set and wanting one soooo badly. My mom flat-out refused because she said the little plastic pieces would end up all over the house. Because they would have.
    [​IMG]

I got a trampoline when I was five years old and it made me quite the popular kid for several years, in much the same way the one kid with a swimming pool became popular.
    upload_2019-7-10_17-8-40.jpeg
    It was the "old style" like this one, with none of that wimpy "netting" around it or foam protectors over the metal frame and springs that came along later. We kids in the late-1970s were made of hardy stock--none of that 'safety' stuff for us!

I also had enough Tonka trucks to operate a (tiny) parking garage. My dad seemed to think I was destined to become a dump-truck operator or something. Instead, I was more suited for demolition, since I treated those trucks horribly when "playing".
    December 25:
    upload_2019-7-10_17-14-4.jpeg
    December 27:
    upload_2019-7-10_17-14-38.jpeg

One of my Tonka truck gifts actually blew the lid off a closely-guarded family secret.
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sparkly Lashes

Sparkly Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,680
    Medals:
    I remember how we used to argue over the free toy in cereal packets.

Tiny plastic things similar to this...

[​IMG]

and wheel reflectors to put on the spokes on the wheel of your bike...

[​IMG]

Or sometimes football cards to be collected.

I imagine this was eventually stopped due to 'Health & Safety' and the risk of choking.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Medals:
    OMG - FLASHBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    I remember those toys from the cereal too. I also remember like little toy battle ships that came in Rice Krispies too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    Medals:
    There was a period of time where the "prize" in a box of cereal was actually on the side of the box: a record. You could cut out a section of the box and play it on a phonograph like a vinyl record. It was always some lame song for kids, of course--Madonna wasn't going to be debuting her new single on the side of a box of Sugar Smacks--but small kids were who they were marketing to. It was a fun novelty for a while but it died off mostly because the plastic toys got more "promotion" oriented, like an action figure for the latest movie or something. Plus, they were lousy audio quality and frequently got scratches.

7. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Medals:
    i loved stuff from the Cereal box. for me i got a lot of my dad's old cars he had a kid from the 60's though what i loved to do with them as a kid was smash them while playing with them. shockingly i still have a lot of them left i wonder how much they are worth? i doubt a lot cause they sure as hell ain't mint. i still have a lot of my toys actually i just have a hard time parting with them even at my age of 40. i have a train i haven't played with in years but my dad gave it to me and i loved it and it was his in fact and i'm not getting rid of that one either.

who knows i may have kids someday i dunno? but what really does pass me off is that my books i had quite a lot of them oh you have no idea well maybe you do i dunno how many damn floods we had in our house. even when i would put the box of books up on something that wouldn't work. i had this drum i made at cub scouts as a kid i wasn't in that long but that's the only thing i remember making and i loved it and it went through so many floods that we had to throw it away at some point cause it was getting i think moldy because of it. that's even more painful than having your mom give your stuff away. i still have all my comics too well not the ones that i didn't save myself like trading some in jr. high man was i stupid in doing that and that does really pass me off that i was that stupid but what are ya gonna do ya know?