1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christopher: Nature vs Nurture

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Kenny Coyote, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    I would have liked it if they'd had Christopher display traits from his biological parents as well. We're all products of both our genetics and our upbringing.

They had an opportunity to have him be a very volatile, unpredictable type of character because of the huge differences between his biological and his adoptive parents.

Christopher's adoptive parents were very good, although he lost his mother when he was very young. He still had Bobby, who was an excellent father.

Biologically, Christopher's parents were about as undesirable a couple as you could have. Kristin was a homicidal, drug addicted gold digger and Jeff Faraday was a con man and a drug dealer.

How does a kid with those parents end up as bland as the character Cidre created?

2. CeeCee72

CeeCee72 Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I think Cidre did it for contrast. John Ross was the volatile, unpredictable one. Christopher was the solid, morally upstanding foil. I almost wonder if she was trying to recreate the Bobby/JR contrast.

But yes, Christopher very well could have inherited some undesirable traits from his biological parents - his aunt too for that matter. Would have made for a much more interesting character.

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    John Ross, played by someone who could act (so, not Metcalfe), should have been more goody-two shoes like Bobby, wanting to be anything BUT J.R. Christopher, always feeling that he is not really seen as a Ewing and with his mother abandoning him, should have been devious and manipulative and insecure, brilliantly played by Josh Henderson.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I agree, Bobby having to deal with his son not adopting his values and inevitably becoming closer to JR would've been more interesting than Christopher just being a more boring version of himself. JR having to deal with his son wanting to do the "right thing" and stepping on his plans would've led to a more interesting dynamic there too.

But I said from the start that Christopher was miscast, good or bad. Metcalfe was ok as a doofus teen gardener on Desperate Housewives, but completely laughable when they tried to return him to the show a few seasons later as a serious business man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Plus it allows Bobby to play the center of the family, close to John Ross because he’s the son he wish he had and close to Chris because he really is his son. In Miss Ellie fashion they both live on South Fork because Bobby and John Ross are close and because Christopher is his son. Bobby then is more torn over SF oil because he’s trying to be a good father and keep his word to his son. Instead they got a sort of Hamlet thing but they really didn’t follow through with it.

6. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Plus it allows Bobby to play the center of the family, close to John Ross because he’s the son he wish he had and close to Chris because he really is his son. In Miss Ellie fashion they both live on South Fork because Bobby and John Ross are close and because Christopher is his son. Bobby then is more torn over SF oil because he’s trying to be a good father and keep his word to his son. Instead they got a sort of Hamlet thing but they really didn’t follow through with it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I would have at least like to have seen him play the role of JR’s protégée:

Bobby - in Miss Ellie’s role, loving the land, the house, the family together.

Sue Ellen - in Jock’s role, 20 years later running EO (don’t ignore the movies), ruthless, powerful, well respected.

John Ross living at South Fork, helping with the ranch, marries Pamela who pushed him, along with his mother, to work for EO, lots of friends, often compared to Jock (3 sons including John Ross Ewing IV, a 17 year old heart throb, like Lucy, Pamela adopted as the son from when John Ross was 17).

Christopher living at South Fork but no interest in the ranch. EO is now a subsidiary of Ewing Industries (based on Koch Industries), John Ross pressured into Running EO and Chris running Ewing Alternative. Chris sees it as a ruthless battle to prove himself. He’s engaged to (the real) Marta DelSol though I’d use the name Elena and JR would be thrilled with the match.

JR living on his yacht so his scenes would be limited with his health.

Much of the story could be the same, except for switching the roles. It would have felt more like Dallas - especially if they kept the interior layout.

just my opinion.

8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    Exactly what David Jacobs had in mind when asked where he saw the Ewing family in 2012. The only thing which concerns me here is creating enough backstory for Christopher's 360º character turn.

9. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    You mean from the teenager we last saw, what caused him to be so radically different? I’d say the influence of his uncle for starters. I’d say typical teenage rebellion from their parents. I’d say adulthood where he’s attempting to create a business based on his engineering work, methane extraction, only to find the real world not as kind or good as his father. Maybe women using him for sex (he was very good looking) and money (he is a Ewing). Maybe feeling abandoned by his mom. Maybe dealing with not being a blood Ewing and finding out his mother and father’s past - secrets are hard to keep. There could be a lot of things as reasons why Christopher turned out to be more like JR. Be fun to see they pop up one at a time as we learn about his character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    I have written in another thread Christopher could have rebelled when he hit those life defining teenage years, plus we had the luxury of time for Christopher's change in personality. I did like Christopher's green credentials as this reflected modern times. Perhaps it should have been John Ross thinking green and Christopher wishing to suck the oil right out from under Southfork's feet. John Ross believing in green energy would have put him at odds with JR and Christopher's obsession with Texas Tea would have implications with his relationship with Bobby.

11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Did David Jacobs keep up with Dallas after he jumped ship to Knots? I don't know if he watched all of Dallas or even half of it. Maybe someone else here knows how closely he followed Dallas.

From the standpoint of the thread, the backstory is: He was raised well but he has negative tendencies that are genetic in nature. Remember, Christopher was only about 10 years old when Dallas ended. He was still developing. He was even still pre-pubescent. It wouldn't be a stretch for the viewers to have him be quite different as an adult as long as there is some explanation given. Sue Ellen might comment that Christopher has a mean streak in him that reminds her a lot of Kristin.

If they wanted to get a little more in depth, they could have brought Lisa Alden back into the story. There could a scene where Lisa is talking about Christopher and says: "He reminds me so much of Jeff now"!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM
  12. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I was thinking it would have been interesting to leave Chris with his methane project and John Ross with oil. While Bobby wouldn’t want drilling on South Fork John Ross could make the case that such is far greener than fracking and off shore, as the oil can be got at safely and do a great deal of good for people. Maybe to JR’s anger then revenue would go toward a family foundation. Then Chris makes his green case as his methane burns cleaner but it’s fracking and off shore makes it far more environmentally dangerous to get at than crude on SF. This complexity would make the story more interesting and not so simple that one is green and one is not. I’d also have a nod to the Southern Cross where Barnes Global has covered 10,000 acres with solar. It was a good idea to flush out they just didn’t do much with it than tell us Chris is green and John Ross is not, and the debate is far more complicated.