1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ciji Dunne Back By Public Demand

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Angela Channing, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,347
    Yes in my second post here I said, she made 12 TV movies, not all specifically produced by her. Although she did star in them. So she had a pretty successful run as a TV movie queen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    The public might have wanted her back but they didn't have control over the storyline.

I could be wrong but I don't think that was ever mentioned onscreen. It was more or less a wink to the viewers but had nothing to do with the character herself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,549
    Didn't Gary or Laura say at one point, that it's so obvious, that Abby hired her for him, and then even her inicials... "Cee Gee", and that it could all not be a coincidence?
    I could be wrong too, haven't watched that season in ages, but i think i've heard something like that on the show ... or was that just in my head?!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    I remember an interview with one of the shows producers or writers who referred to Hartman's characters as "our angel-slut". I think he also said Hartman was a "good luck charm". I think the production team was fond of Hartman and the was the "popular demand" that resulted in her return.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,638
    I confess I did not make/see the CG connection until well after LH had left the series the second time. Soap Opera Digest joked that she would likely return in a few years as "yet another character with the initial C and G" if the ratings fell. It was like someone had smacked me up side the head.

A thought: Cathy only had the "Geary" last name due to marrying Ray Geary, so she very likely had a different initial growing up. Why she would decide to keep that last name, given all the rotten things he did to her, I'll never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cijimccashin

cijimccashin Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +50
    And I still believe she left the show too soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Ciji or Cathy? (Or Lisa?)

8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Maybe it’s Claudia Lonow.........she left not too long after LH returned.....

9. Billy Nolan

Billy Nolan Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +98
    NO. It had nothing to do with kind of a publicity machine or something like that.
    Lisa´s character "Ciji" was very popular by viewers - Hartman also won a SOD-award in 1984 - a price given by viewers.
    When she left KL after Ciji´s killing she was off to Florida to film her new movie "Where the Boys are". After the movie was shot, she went back on the KL set to film a handful of scenes as "Cathy". She had the same haircut like she had in the movie. Then Gary tried to make a Ciji-look-a-like of Cathy and she got her hair cut off. After that Lisa Hartman had to make promotional pictures for her movie "Where the boys are". She had a short haircut on the movie-poster but long and light blonde hair in the movie. I think that could have been avoided if there had been forseeable reasons for Lisa Hartman´s comeback to KL as another character.

10. Billy Nolan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +98
    MV5BMWIxNWIxY2UtODM2YS00OWRjLWFmZWItY2E3ZWZhOWNjYTcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Lisa Hartman in "Where the boys are"

MV5BMjAzYjU2M2QtZDQwMS00NTYxLTkyNjAtZWEwMDE5N2E0NjA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg wtba.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,638
    Russell Todd went on to play Dr. Jamie Frame on Another World. I had no idea he was in that film!

He must have stinky feet, given the way LH is avoiding touching them in that poster. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    It was just in your head.

13. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +840
    It was an OTT, contrived way to bring
    back the actress, and on paper it's eye-rolling, imho. However, the magic of Knots Landing is that the way it was executed on screen, it rose above the soapiness. The writers, directors, and actors gave us a fun soap plot and good drama at the same time. There should be a special Emmy for that!:rainbow:[/QUOTE]
    That's one thing I like about Knots Landing; that when it was really good, it didn't make you think you were watching a soap opera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Billy Nolan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hahaha... stinky feet. Lisa once said in an old interview with Sally Jesse, Ted Shackelford had smelly feet when he worked out with her in that gym scenes and took off his sneakers and socks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +936
    When I watch the show the first time, I was totally into Ciji's character. I loved her, and it took me only a few of the few episodes she was in.
    So when the producers said Lisa was back because popular demand, I obviously trusted them, even if (and no one really knows) it was a marketing lie.

16. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +143
    As Cathy the scenes with Constance McCashin, Julie Harris and Alec Baldwin brought out the best of Lisa Hartman's acting. She really delivered with them. But after Joshua's death her part was done too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Yeah, Cathy just drifted aimlessly after Joshua died. I wish they would have made more of an effort to possibly revisit Laura maybe having sexual feelings for Ciji with Cathy.

18. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +936
    And sleeping with Ben didn't help. I couldn't care less about Cathy after that.
    Ciji was genuinely a good human being. There was something very moving about her. I understand that Cathy couldn't be a Ciji clone, even if she was not very far rom that. On some levels they tried to recreate Ciji : being a singer, being a good friend to Laura... (they had to, Lisa and Constance had a great chemistry)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1