Claudia´s big (cut) entrance

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by colbyco, Mar 1, 2018.

1. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +203
    When Claudia was called to the stand (S6) it was planned to dress her with a hat and sunglasses (-does this sound familiar ;) )?

Claudia in court.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    That's terrible. I mean just awful, that's not who Claudia was. Never ever. What a mess.

3. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +179
    That's why they eventually cut it.

4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    I know but it shows that wrong headedness and insecurity the writers and producers had about their show. Which never seemed to go away... Not until season 9 when it was tight and focused and made sense (out of nothing) but then those same insecure wrong headed producers and writers would wrongly ascertain that season 9 was the worst of the shows run and a melodramatic mess. And drag Paulsen for doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    Right. They cut it, but that doesn't change the fact that they had actually considered the idea.

It's the kind of idea we would mockingly suggest on forums like these, but when the writers themselves do it then it only confirms that they had no idea who their characters were.
    And it was probably cut because another character was wearing a big hat (which should never be upstaged, of course) and not because it was an awful idea. Let's not give these guys too much credit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,465
    I guess they might have figured Claudia might be soon exiting as a diva, albeit a diva in mid-mental collapse.

As you know, I assumed from 1988 that they were bringing a "DALLAS head honcho" at the eleventh hour to take the blame for the dying series' imminent cancellation, given how the already well-established finger-pointing went on around there.

Paulsen said to JfL in 2008 that he thought I was wrong about that, but he wouldn't have been privy to those thoughts or conversations, and he's still social friends with the Shapiros, and Paulsen is by nature cautious about his own public statements (which is smart). But Esther essentially proved me right when she later said "the show was taken away from us" (when she'd actually gone after Paulsen herself both in 1985 and 1988) and that S9 on Paulsen's watch "got too into melodrama" when it was the least melodramatic year since S1. (She conceded the timeslot change to Thursday had a role in DYNASTY's ending, too).

Okay, okay, I get that Esther wants to validate and praise the people in whose hands she left the show to run for 7 years who in fact ran it into the ground (she agreed -- saying something like "neither do we" -- when Paulsen asserted he had no idea what the Pollocks were doing with the narrative) because she'd like to pretend what happened to DYNASTY didn't happen.

But why then not do the same for Paulsen and his superior work in S9?

Probably because wily Esther knows that the general consensus is that the show went downhill rather obviously, so, knowing people won't recall timeframes other than it happened "towards the end," enter David Paulsen to fix the problems he'll be eventually blamed for creating.

As usual, the party who creates the contrast with his very presence gets everyone's sins projected onto him. Which is why you cannot touch him after he's resurrected but before he's had his ascendant spiritual bath. (And speaking of ascendants, I tend to assume Paulsen has a Scorpio Rising, just as I assume Esther does, just as I assume Katzman did).

Did I take that analogy too far?

[​IMG]
    Jesus wept, for there were no anchovies...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sad that their vendetta with PB RUINED so many Claudia scenes...

8. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Claudia was never a avenging black angel or a real bitch. She was too needy and cried to much for that.

Dress her in a bleak dress and possible a straight jacket to keep her shoulders warm, and she will be just fine.

But actually, the Claudia character was a bit waisted. She could have been so much more with the right writing. Matthew too, it was a mistake to boot him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Yeah Claudia was nervous. That's her. Not an Alexis-type character.

• Agree Agree x 1