1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

Close your legs please: Madrid bus manspreading ban starts

Discussion in 'US Politics' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    http://start.att.net/news/read/cate...r_legs_please_madrid_bus_manspreading_ban-afp

Madrid (AFP) -

Commuters on Madrid's buses have long been banned from putting their feet on seats or smoking, but from this week a new prohibition is in place, targeting male passengers: no "manspreading".

The practice of men sitting in public transport with their legs wide apart, taking up more than one seat, has long been an irritant and the term "manspreading" appeared in 2014 in New York following a campaign against it there.

In Madrid, buses have since Thursday been kitted out with stickers banning the habit, which appears next to signs telling passengers to use their phones in moderation and keep things tidy.

The anti-manspreading pictogramme shows a man sitting with his legs and arms out wide on blue seats, a red bar sign cutting across.

"Respect other people's space," it reads.

The stickers are due to be rolled out in 2,000 buses belonging to Madrid's Municipal Transport Company.

Melisa Garcia, a 30-year-old from Madrid, thinks it's a good idea.

"It's a total lack of respect and education," she says, adding the last time her neighbour manspread on the seat next to her, she "kicked him".

"I told him: 'the seat you have is big enough for you'."

The sticker comes as the campaign #MadridSinManspreading ("Madrid Without Manspreading") rages on Twitter, launched by the "Women Fighting" feminist collective.

"It's not a question of bad education but that we women have been taught to sit with our legs closed -- as if we had to hold something between our knees," the collective writes in an online petition on Change.org that has garnered close to 700 signatures.

It adds that men, on the other hand, "have been given a sense of hierarchy and territoriality, as if the space belonged to them."

Robert Durou, a 75-year-old retiree, backed the campaign.

"Before... people were more respectful of others," he lamented.

David Correa Clares, meanwhile, admitted he has been guilty of manspreading in the past.

"People have at times told me it bothered them and I sat respectfully and that was it... But I don't think you need a rule or a pictogramme to say 'you must sit in this way'," the 19-year-old said.

That's what the conservatives who lead the Madrid region -- and manage the subway -- think, estimating that the rules of "one seat per person" are clear enough.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    I totally agree!!

Unless he looks like this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Star EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Every complaint I've heard about "manspreading" has been about the patriarchy, entitlement, male empowerment, etc. In reality, most men don't want to feel like their balls are being squeezed in a vice.

Unless a man is either obese or has chosen a ridiculously wide stance, it's possible to sit with your legs apart and still take up only one seat. And since the issue should only be about taking up one seat, that should be the focus of the rule. I've seen men and women place bags and purses on seats next to them, which shouldn't be allowed either. But since we live in the third wave feminist era, everything comes back to gender.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    It seems like those no-urinal toilets that the radical feminists have rallied for to be placed in men's rooms in parts of Europe, invading men's perceived "safe spaces" while demanding their own safe spaces be male free, I guess.

I don't think this helps the women's movement.

Manspreading Is Not An Issue And Bored Women Need To Stop Trying To Make It One

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jasmine-s...red-women-need-to-stop-trying-to-make-it-one/

Manspreading is a recent term coined by women about men who take up too much room in public transport. It’s recently made news because so many women have taken a stand to cease this horrifying act of iniquity. And to that I can only shake my head and sigh.

Manspreading is not an issue; it’s not even remotely close to an issue. People talking about it and putting it in the spotlight is the issue. Women are making mountains out of molehills here, and it’s not benefitting anybody. Videos and articles about the perils of manspreading have absolutely no substance because it is an unsolicited pity-party for women by women. It is all about shaming an entire gender based on the faults of a very select few men.

A man who spreads his legs apart isn’t going to burn the train down, so don’t get your panties in a twist. It’s not an epidemic, it’s not a concern, it’s not even something that should be addressed publicly. If you see a man who is taking too much room, you can kindly tell them to keep it shut. There is no need to make a PSA about something like this. You want to make a difference? Start somewhere else. Focus on the poor, the hungry, the sufferers of injustice. If you want to make the world a better place, this is the last place to start.

Are first world women so fragile that they get offended at the slightest male act that isn’t to their liking? If your biggest concern is manspreading, then you are leading a very privileged life, my friend. You know what men don’t make videos about? Women who put their handbags on the seat next to them. In numerous occasions I’ve had to stand up on the train or bus because an empty seat was occupied by a large handbag. Do I make a video about it as a sign of protest? Do I intrude upon women on their way to work with a microphone and video camera to interrogate them about their terrible handbag habits? No, because it isn’t their fault that I’m standing up in the middle of a rocky bus ride. If I’m too shy or scared to ask a woman to remove her handbag then it’s entirely my fault. I chose to stand up, and it shouldn’t be anyone’s problem but mine.

The same goes for manspreading. If a man invades your bubble of comfort, then it’s your responsibility to ask them to move their legs away from yours. Tell him off, not all the men on the train. It’s rude to go up to people’s faces with your DSLR asking them why they manspread when they’re just sitting there trying to be as comfortable as they can with sticky summer testicles. Us women will never understand what it’s like to have external genitals, so why are we berating men for relaxing a little? I understand that there are several men who take it way too far and take up 3 seats with their legs splayed out, but I remember seeing a picture of my female friend no taller than 5 feet sleeping on two train seats. It’s not a male problem, it’s an asshole problem. So stop making it seem like men are the only culprits here.

The reason why the womanspreading movement isn’t hitting off is because women aren’t meant to sit down with their legs splayed out. The architecture of our hips and thigh bones are different to that of men’s. So women who try to make a point by cartoonishly spreading their legs apart only prove that they were never biologically designed to do so.

Manspreading might be annoying, but it isn’t nearly as annoying as women who constantly talk about it. Men feel uncomfortable sitting cross-legged the way women do, and I honestly do not have a problem if a man spreads out his legs a little over to my area. If they want to unwind after a hard day’s work and let their testicles breathe, then I will let them. I don’t know what kind of day their genitals have been through. I have problems that are bigger than that, and if I ever take issue with them invading my space, I will let them know…without using a viral video.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Calling people out on their bullsh!t
    Ratings:
    +780
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    This is what third wave feminists refer to as "mansplaining." Except it came from a woman, which makes it internalized misogyny.

I miss the days when it was simply common sense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    I'm confused. It was a problem and now it's not a problem anymore?
    Not saying that it happens all the time, but when it does happen it's a problem. It's easy to say "just let them know", but you don't know how that person is going to react, and not everybody is in the mood for a big argument or fight (or worse!).

If a person is antisocial enough to do it, then I think he's antisocial enough to ignore anyone's comment (or worse).
    It's not because when you say something about it, they suddenly "see the light".
    They know what they're doing.

It's happened to me several times that the other man's knee touched mine, no matter how hard I tried to avoid it.
    One time I decided not to give in, and it made me feel as if I was hitting on him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    As the writer says, "it's not a male problem, it's an asshole problem."

9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    Then again, not many women do it, I think.

And many men put their backpacks (or other bags) on the seat too.
    (they can make a sticker for that one too, I guess - but antisocial people will ignore the warning anyway).

But there always seems to be an agenda, even if that agenda is to expose other people's agenda.

10. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    You seem to be missing our (and the article's) referencing the fact that women very much do it, even if it's mostly with bags and purses, etc...

Here's another achievement spearheaded by the late-3rd-wave radical feminists:

So should adopt a wide stance or shouldn't we...? Make up yo' mind, beyaaaaatches!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    But that's another issue, and like I said, they could make a sticker for that one too.

Or are we supposed to retaliate with antisocial behaviour?

12. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Here's another woman brilliantly dismantling third wave feminism garbage:

The issue should be don't take up more than one seat, whether it's with your body or your belongings. To call out "manspreading" specifically indicates that there's an agenda beyond ensuring everybody has a place to sit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    I prefer to think positive, therefore the sticker should read:

"if your legs are spread to the extent that other people can't use the seat next to you, they have the right to sit on your lap".
    upload_2017-6-16_23-44-56.png

• Like Like x 3
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    Exactly. It about your being a guy, apparently, not any problem you're actually causing with your legs preventing people from sitting --- especially if women's packages and purses taking up seats it AOK.

I'm not sure that that's what they really consider manspreading to be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    Yes, that's good:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,877
    Medals:
    :haha:

I second that motion!!!!!

17. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    Sadly, that's not what it's about at all. It's about misandry.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,529
    Medals:
    It's the natural position for men to have their legs in when they sit down. Men have bits which are more comfortable when they are not squashed as they would be when the legs are kept together. It's how I sit when I'm alone but to be polite, when I'm in the company of other or when I'm on a train or bus, I keep my knees together and it's so much more uncomfortable. If it's not harming anyone, I say continue manspreading.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2