1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

"Clue" And The Fire At La Mirage

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grant Jennings, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Starting at the beginning of season seven, sets originally constructed for the movie "Clue" appeared on "Dynasty" as "The Carlton" hotel. The appearance of "The Carlton" coincides with the destruction of another hotel, "La Mirage", which caught fire at the end of season six.

Does anyone know if the acquisition of the sets from "Clue" played a part in dictating the plot for the end of season six/start of season seven? Or, was it just a coincidence that the set became available just when one was needed?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I read in Joanie's biography (though she's not the most reliable source) that Aaron Spelling bought the expensive 'Clue' set which he then had to use. So suddenly all the action from Season 7 onwards was at the hotel. That was when 'Dynasty lost its sparkle'.

Although the interiors were better at the Carlton, the exteriors of La Mirage were more glamorous (filmed at the Mountain Gate Country Club). Had Dynasty utilised more exterior filming at the Carlton, I think it would have been more successful rather than the obvious studio terrace set it used for the dining scenes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    I think Joan was annoyed at having Alexis' penthouse axed to make way for The Carlton. On a soap opera you are nothing unless they build you a home set.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    And imagine, I never liked the penthouse to begin with. I always thought she should have stayed at Cecil's mansion, but either Spelling was too cheap to portray that or there was a conscious decision that Alexis was always trying to get back into the Carrington mansion, and any other residence was a transition.

But as for "Clue," that is where I always draw my reference for how I felt about Frankie. I hated her so much...
    Ironically, considering the Carlton/Clue came to be after the La Mirage fire, flames are also mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Wouldn't you be annoyed if you were downgraded from a tri-level penthouse with spectacular views of the Rocky Mountains, a roof-top pool (okay, we never saw one, but I like to think it had one), doorman service, a private elevator and in-house catering (from multiple restaurants on the lower levels of the two Camden Towers - not too much of a stretch - am I right?) to a one bedroom suite that didn't appear to have its own kitchen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    Yes, Spelling could have used the Clue set to better effect. Have season 7 begin with Alexis in the set, all strewn with cobwebs and dust sheets. She's sold her apartment and has moved into Cecil's old mansion. She lives there a while, has a designer try to redo it to her liking before deciding she really doesn't like it as her home. She decides to turn it into a hotel. That's a plot for Alexis all season long. The set would be utilised right away and go from mansion to hotel. Blake and Krystle could have been at a different hotel after the fire.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    My only problem with Alexis' suite in the Carlton was that it just wasn't garish enough.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    upload_2018-10-14_10-15-29.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    This is very true. I remember reading an interview with Lana Turner where she said she felt they should've given Jacqueline an apartment set on Falcon Crest rather than just having her coming and going in limousines all the time.

I do think Alexis' Carlton suite should've been a lot more lavish. But the producers had really stopped giving a toss at that stage. Alexis' stint in the mansion was indicative of this too. Aside from a few tacky bits in the bedroom, they did very little to show her putting her mark on the place. That real life Andy Warhol portrait of Joan really should've been utilised at some point.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    I actually like the amber --- for me.

That's always the painting I mentally put in a round chrome frame over her triplex fireplace. It fits the deco décor.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    I think I posted the gold room with the penthouse in mind.

Or it could be the room for King Galen, or the hotel suite where she'd meet with Rashid Ahmed, or the suite in the Penisula, or the flat in the ColbyCo building....yeah, I think it's very "Cecil Colby".

• Creative Creative x 1