CNN: Charles Manson dead at 83

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by TJames03, Nov 20, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Manson is DEAD! Turn on the news.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Check out CNN.com:

Charles Manson, the wild-eyed 1960s cult leader whose followers committed heinous murders that terrorized Los Angeles and shocked the nation, died Sunday of natural causes, according to the California Department of Corrections. He was 83.

The diminutive and charismatic Manson orchestrated a wave of violence in August 1969 that took the lives of seven people, spawned headlines worldwide and landed him and his "Manson Family" of followers in prison for most of the remainder of their lives.

Manson served nine life terms in California prisons and was denied parole 12 times. His notoriety, boosted by popular books and films, made him a cult figure to those fascinated by his dark apocalyptic visions.

"He was the dictatorial ruler of the (Manson) family, the king, the Maharaja. And the members of the family were slavishly obedient to him," former prosecutor Victor Bugliosi told CNN in 2015.

To the point they would kill for him.

The brutal killings began on August 9, 1969, at the home of actress Sharon Tate and her husband, famed movie director Roman Polanski. He was out of the country at the time. The first set of victims were Tate, who was eight months' pregnant; a celebrity hairstylist named Jay Sebring; coffee fortune heiress Abigail Folger; writer Wojciech Frykowski; and Steven Parent, a friend of the family's caretaker.

The next evening, another set of murders took place. Supermarket executive Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary, were killed at their home.

Although Manson ordered the killings, he didn't participate.

Over the course of two nights, the killers took the lives of seven people, inflicting 169 stab wounds and seven .22-caliber gunshot wounds. Both crime scenes revealed horrifying details. And a few details linked the two crime scenes.

The word pig was written in victim blood on the walls of one home and the front door of another. There was also another phrase apparently scrawled in blood: Helter Skelter (it was misspelled Healter). The reason for the disturbing writings, the prosecutor argued, was because Manson wanted to start a race war and had hoped the Black Panthers would be blamed for the killings.

On June 16, 1970, Manson and three of his followers -- Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten -- went on trial in Los Angeles.

All of those details came tumbling out in the trial that both mesmerized and horrified the nation. During the trial, Manson and his followers created a circus-like atmosphere in the court with singing, giggling, angry outbursts and even carving X's in their foreheads.

The charges came after a major break in the case when Atkins, who was already in jail on another charge, bragged to a fellow inmate about the Tate murders. She said they did it "because we wanted to do a crime that would shock the world. ..."

Manson was originally sentenced to death but the death penalty was briefly abolished in the state and his concurrent sentences were commuted to life in prison.

He also was convicted in the connection with the killings of Gary Hinman, a musician, and stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea in 1969.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Sorry, I didn't see this thread before I posted another one about Manson's passing in "Celebrity S." a while ago! :embarrassed:

4. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Ummmm......he was no celebrity.

5. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    The mods need to that off celebrity. JMHO...

6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401

Um, if this is true.....the owner was surprised? The house is gone now.

7. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Well, Manson was a celebrity all around the world! Certainly not famous for anything good, quite the contrary! But he was still someone who most adults in the western world have heard of!

For the record, I agree that the news of his death could just as well had been posted in the forum, "Headlines"!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    moved it to headline news

No great loss and i just dont get women who want to marry criminals/evil monsters behind bars!!

9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,443
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the Mendendez brothers are other examples of famous people known throughout the world (in spite of their horrific actions)!

I'm okay with that!

At a time like this, the honorable thing to do is to remember the victims whose lives were taken much too soon! And to pray for the victims' family members who most likely still mourn their loss!

11. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,443
    True dat. But I couldn’t tell you what any of them looked like, except maybe a Mendendez brother at a push (but that’s only cos I had to research them for something), whereas Manson is almost a familiar a face as Che Guevara.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,637
    Manson (a name I assume he made up) did last an awfully long time. These kinds of killers usually have a short shelf life -- but have any of Charlie's people expired other than Susan Atkins (and now Manson himself, finally)?

I guess his lasting fame results from the Hollywood angle of the killings, the counterculture thing of the era, and Manson's "boo!" personality.

Awww, them Menendez boys ain't so bad.

13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,941
    No "burn in hell!" comments from TJames03? That surprises me.

14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    There is a huge difference between "Famous" and "Infamous."

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Lol! He doesn't fit my criteria! Now, Rebel Wilson.............

16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,637
    There has to be some chance that they're not.

17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    This thread reminded me of a few years back when I watched Valley Of The Dolls and then became actually depressed when I discovered that Manson had horrifically killed the beautiful Sharon Tate. I mean I think I stayed up all night reading about it and about her and then became a little bit obsessed with her. It was a weird melancholic fascination that came over me. I cant really describe it, but for months I couldn't get her out of my head. Actually sad to the point of tears like if someone I knew had died.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,941
    ^
    Yes, it's very bizarre to watch her, knowing what's going to happen to her.

Not controversial enough, I guess. After all, some people might agree with you - there's no fun in that:p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Lol!!!

It's just because RW is fat......

20. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Doris Tate reveled a lot of what was REALLY happening during the "Summer of Love" era, and it wasn't good.

I think Sharon Tate is known for the murder way more than what her acting career was or was becoming. She starred in "The Fearless Vampire Killers" and "Valley of the Dolls."

I genuinely don't think that her career would have progressed too much had she not died.