Colbys - aEpilogue

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by AndyLaird, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    I sorely wished that I had read Willie O’s question before you did, RC. I’d have posted that Mrs Powers #2 was an actress and had been considered by some to be Hollywood royalty; and that I’d forgotten her name but knew it couldn’t have been the Nathalie Hart whose baby daddy wasn’t “that sort of Indian”. (For those not in the know, that quote should be familiar to RC because it was said on FC to Richard.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Of all the non-extradition countries Zack could have flown to, why pick Costa Rica, I wonder.

A history lesson on Costa Rica, as written in Wikipedia: “Coffee production remained Costa Rica's principal source of wealth well into the 20th century … Most of the coffee exported was grown around the main centers of population in the Central Plateau and then transported by oxcart to the Pacific port of Puntarenas after the main road was built in 1846. By the mid-1850s the main market for coffee was Britain. It soon became a high priority to develop an effective transportation route from the Central Plateau to the Atlantic Ocean. For this purpose, in the 1870s, the Costa Rican government contracted with U.S. businessman Minor C. Keith to build a railroad from San José to the Caribbean port of Limón. Despite enormous difficulties with construction, disease, and financing, the railroad was completed in 1890.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if Costa Rica’s railroad project served as the inspiration for Dynasty’s oil pipeline project. I recall Blake’s speech on Dynasty’s Titans episode had words to the effect that he was proud to be able to bring oil from the west coast all the way to the heart of the Great Plains. Possibly, it was an inside joke to have Costa Rica be Zack's flight destination.

3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Zack having a sister with a 'missing' husband was simply to twin Jason having a sister with a 'missing' husband.

As for The Colbys show not following the almighty bible – seemingly written by someone putting Dynasty’s interests first – perhaps TC wanted to rebuff/distance itself from Dynasty’s attempts to portray that TC was not an independent series but part of the Dynasty show, and that Dynasty did indeed have the largest star-powered cast in (US) television history as it boasted before the newly-minted Colby characters appeared on its series. So much for that: there were no appearances ever on Dynasty by Ross (always billed TC’s leading lady), and not one by Heston, Stanwyck, and Beacham after the Titans episode, ie, once The Colbys series launched, and up to the end of it’s run.

The stories of the younger couples on TC dominate its 2nd season, they took centre stage; and the older generation stepped back to be the supporting cast. I think this is why the stories of the older cast stalled/didn’t get developed properly: because, in part, some of the ideas meant for their stories got used in the stories of the younger ones.

Eg, Monica got a starring role in her own story instead, when she discovered that her married love had kept a secret from her – think back to the not-used 1st season bible idea of Sable learning Zack’s secret.

Monica learnt that Cash had been involved in someone’s scheme … and then, after all that followed (similar in parts to the Sable-Zack story), Cash hastily made a final decision to you-know-what. But it was interesting to me that it was Jason who passed the message on to a trusting Monica. (That last bit twinning Sable passing a message on -- but what was really happening behind the scenes?)

The Monica-Cash story in essence twinned the Jason-Francesca story.

Plus, the Jason-Jeff mole-in-the-office ‘story’ of S2 (that implicated you-know-who), that ultimately was never developed on-screen in S2, looked to be the twin of a part of the Zack-Philip story. I was looking forward to knowing more in S3, but alas!

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    They should have used her more, especially given the Garrett connection, Monica and Titania Records, and how little Dominique was used on DYNASTY. But I don't know what logistic would be required to use an actor with a contract on one show on the other save for just a guest appearance.
    As for the botched story, it looks like quickly COLBYS followed the parent show in abandoning planning and making it up as they went along--thus the inconsistencies about Zach's family (wives, Spiros' last name etc.).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,089
    Medals:
    Dominique/Garrett/Jackie was one of Dynasty's most corny and boring "story" lines. It had zero intrigue or conflict - but you expect THE COLBYS to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?
    If you think they could have done it then you must think highly on the spin-off show:D
    The confusion is caused by too much (unnecessary) information, given by the character Spiros.

6. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Well, we don't know why it was changed, we can make only assumptions. My opinion is that they changed it in order to tie Zach to Sean. Also, they obviously wanted Zach to be in the second season so they changed details to keep him. Just like Heather Locklear in "Melrose Place", Ricardo Montalban was a special guest star so he should have stayed for a limited-run.

Both seasonable bibles were written by Paul Huson and William Bast. I doubt that they put Dynasty's interests first.
    If Diahann Carroll never showed up in the second part of the second season, it's possibly because the budget was given to Mike Jagger's ex wife.
    Or because Dominique's story in Dynasty was also botched (she was supposed to be separated from Nick Kimball after an argument in the second part of the 7th season; if the original story was kept, she could have leave Dynasty for the Colbys for a few episodes before returning to Dynasty and making peace with Nick).

I agree with that, at least for the first part of the season. I think it was a mistake and I don't get why they did that. According to the bible of the second season, Phillip should have showed earlier, which would have been better as his presence energized the season very much.

Can you tell more ? I don't see what you're talking about.

Actually, no. They changed some things but they followed at least 70% of both seasonal bibles. For instance, I was very surprised to find out that Philip was not a character they added at the last minute in order to save the show.
    For "Dynasty" I have the bibles of seasons 3, 5, 6 and 7 and what was kept varies between 60 and... 20%.

Was the spin-off has in common with its parents show is the lack of details concerning some characters. It's just incredible that we know so little about Zach's wives, to the point that we can't agree on whose wife was accidentally killed by Caress and whose wife was Spiro's mother !

And the fact that Spiro has a greek name despite the fact that only his mother was greek !

7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    Zero intrigue and conflict is what the COLBYS did best. :D

Of course they didn't--it makes no sense to suggest otherwise.

I think I understand some of the changes in season 3 (like the Mafia connection for La Mirage--I already hated Logan Rhinewood) especially expanding Kirby's role for Adam and Jeff, though the actress fell flat. In season 5 the changes were mostly bad--other than Moldavia, Marchetta had some good ideas. And for season 6, well we know the ratings slide of 6A, and the retooling did work wonders. Season 7 is I think an instance where they actually made the show worse instead of better.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,089
    Medals:
    But did he have to mention that in order to explain whatever it was that needed to be explained?
    Why couldn't his father be Greek too? Was it relevant to the story that he was half-Greek?

9. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Changes for season 3 were good, except for Fallon. That she finally makes peace with Krystle was nice but become friendly with her was not. And turning her into a victim was just terrible.

For season 5 it depends. Camille Marchetta is a very good writer but often her stories look dull on screen (the best instance is the 8th season of "Falcon Crest").
    Also, I dislike her intial idea for Adam. The "knight in silver armor" was good material for Jeff, not Adam. On the contrary, her idea of Claudia having an affair with Brady was great.

For season 6 the bible was a disaster, it's just crazy that ABC and the Shapiros validated it. What they were thinking of ? Diana Gould wrote bullshit which is incomprehensible since she was involved in some of the strongest seasons of "Knots Landing".
    Season 6A was saved by Scott Hamner who improved her work. Season 6B was great because the Shapiros and the Pollocks moved their asses and committed themselves into it.

For season 7, there is not doubt that the original material was absolutely better, even for the first part. Amanda's recasting and the lack of confidence of the bosses scuppered it.

Well Spiro said that he was half-American and since her mother was Greek, his father could not be Greek too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,089
    Medals:
    Do you remember the context of this revelation? Did it explain something?

And could his American father be a descendant of Greek immigrants?:D

11. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    No, Spiro did not explain anything. Hence the headache.:confused:

12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    Yeah, I liked that plot, I liked Daniel being the father of Nicole and not Sammy Jo because then there would have been no awful Rita plot, and I liked the Dexters storyline. Marchetta read the season 4 bible and episode scripts, she said in an interview, so I think her idea of Adam came from the reformed one there. Darth Adam was in season 3.

I think at that point Spelling, Shapiros, Pollocks, and ABC were all focused on making THE COLBYS a hit, which again premiered with lousy storylines--and in a bad timeslot, so I don't know what would have happened if they HADN'T tried to make it a "success." But at the height of Dynasty's ratings popularity, nobody was minding the store. Diana Gould's bible was a disaster waiting to happen, and it did.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,089
    Medals:
    So...if he hadn't mentioned it, and apparently there was no specific reason to do so, then we'd simply assume that both his parents were Greek.
    Father Koralis dies, mother Koralis inherits his shipping empire, marries Zach Powers who then merges it with Powers Shipping (which shouldn't affect Spiro's inheritance).

Maybe his mother married three times, and Koralis was his stepfather. Or maybe she didn't marry the American, and Spiro was her bastard child.
    There's always a way to explain it:D

14. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    No, he specified to be half-American but he did not give more details.

That's what I understood. Except that it affected Spiro's inheritance because he was obviously expecting to inherited the company from his mother.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,089
    Medals:
    Was it still Koralis Shipping when she died?
    If Zach had merged the companies when she was still alive (even if Koralis S. was much bigger than his) then I assume that Spiro's mother wouldn't simply hand over her inheritance to her new husband, meaning that she'd own a substantial chunk of the new (merged) company.
    Why Spiro did not inherit those shares is indeed the big question. Did Zach forge the documents, did she find out and is that why she had to die?

Actually it doesn't even matter if it was Koralis or Powers shipping. The only thing that matters is that Spiro didn't inherit from his mother. But why? Why did her inheritance (Kordalis, or her shares of the merged companies) end up in Zach's pocket?

16. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    That Caress killed someone’s wife or was framed for killing someone’s wife is not a screen fact, per my memory.
    That Spiro’s mother was Greek is not a screen fact. That’s your assumption, mate.

Per my memory, the first time they met, Bliss asked Spiro: “Are you Greek?” He responded: “Half-Greek”. Nothing further was discussed with Bliss about his antecedents, though Bliss learnt at that first meeting that Zack was Spiro’s step-father.

Incorrect. (But Willie isn’t telling you outright, and you’re not getting what he really means.)
    For example, the beef over the trust came from Spiro’s lips to Zach’s ears and ours. To no one else on-camera. And the back-and-forth between them yielded more info. All of which you earlier summarised as: "Spiro just says that he inherited some shares of Koralis Shipping/Powers Shipping from his mother but he thought he should have it all."

17. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    True, it was an assumption, but it did have that effect. Likewise, making Sean the son that Zack never had in essence twinned Jeff being the son Jason didn’t know he had.

And, Charles Van Eman, with his beard, looked, or was made to look, strikingly like young Fraser “Baby Moses” Heston. Van Eman’s character, Sean, like FH, studied marine biology (per TC) and enjoyed white-water rafting (per Dynasty). FH was a licensed white water river guide at 19.

18. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    In the Paul Huson interview thread, you referenced the interview with Bast & Huson on the dynastie.wifeo site. In view of the 30% differences between season bible and what we see on-screen, that you say there is, I’m surprised that in response to the question about the ideas that materialised and those that didn’t, Paul Huson replied “I can’t think of one idea that never materialized.”

William Bast, on the other hand, responded: “Too long ago to recall and too many to keep track of. But, generally we held sway when we wanted something enough.” I wonder, “held sway” against whom? The Pollocks and Shapiros? (With whom Huson said he/they worked daily.) Or, perhaps, “the network”?

19. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Jason felt there was a mole in Colby Enterprises, he suspected someone in particular, and asked Jeff to investigate. We never heard anything more on the subject. ….That appeared to twin Philip’s theft, illegal entry and industrial espionage. (The latter reminded me of RM, in the movie Operation Cicero, photographing documents.)

20. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    You're right, he said half-greek (in "a family affair"). It's my assumption that he is half-american. But I doubt he is half-polish.

Now, I've checked every episode with Ray Wise.
    In "the wedding", Spiro says :
    -"You could not wait to change the name" [after his mother's death]
    -"My father left the company to my mother to keep for me"
    And Zach says :
    "Her will was very clear, a sizeable share to you and control to me."

There's nothing said about a "trust".
    Since it was never mentioned that Zach has a second wife (like Willie said, "first wife" could be another way to say "ex wife" or "late wife"), she might be Gree.

I have to check that (even though Zach's wife is mentioned here : https://carringtondynasty.wikia.com/wiki/Caress_Morell ). Same for the mole.