Colbys Videos thread?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Michael Torrance, Feb 22, 2018.

1. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    Honestly though? Sisters fight, women fight. Women fight with the women that have affairs with their husband. Not only in Dynasty-land. I don't think it unthinkable that Sable could have snapped and got into a physical fight with her sister. Just as in that first cat fight between Krystle and Alexis in Dynasty season 2. Frankie had been baiting and goading Sable for a long time.
    It's all about context and reason. Sure them ripping each others clothes off in the foyer for no real reason would have been stupid. It depends on how and why it's done.

But it's nice of you to tell me I don't know the Sable of The Colbys. Next time you see her give her my regards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,361
    Medals:
    Nonetheless would've been great fun. :lol:
    Imo the best opportunity for that would have been at the beginning of the penultimate episode, when they talk in the foyer after Jason and Philip had their fistfight in the garden:

[​IMG]

Although i could imagine a great catfight between Adrienne and Monica as well! :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Zable's Eggnog

Zable's Eggnog Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    deleted because of wrong Alexis quote selected.

4. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    @Matthew Blaisdel, I see you get it, lol. :hat::hat:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Yeah, she could have. She never did. That's the point. The adult sisters were way past their childhood dramatics of physically fighting over something, such as that rag doll they'd torn in half.

I seem to recall Frankie also said to her sister: "I care for you. Why do you hate me so much?"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Sabella did snap, at that diplomatic do to introduce Lord Roger as the incoming British ambassador.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcy1RsnZEhs

And snapped, dobbing Jason in to the cops, sending him to jail.

And snapped. That nonsense with Zack.

And snapped, yet again...

….and this was pretty much the height of her rage. She got there without resorting to a catfight because she wasn’t looking to release emotions ‘healthily’. This Sable was teetering on the edge of insanity, had become menacing.

It brought her to this point:

And from there to this:

Sure, the home-truth telling continued, but for anyone to expect the sisters to have had a catfight as a follow-up boggles my mind, frankly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    Utterly passive aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    And after all you know Sable so well.

9. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    Oops. Sabella.

10. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,230
    Medals:
    It was different on Dynasty because Krystle was 100% right and Alexis was 100% wrong, it had to be fixed in the most extreme way possible.
    I know most people think of it as camp but it made perfect sense that it happened right there and then.

But where to put the catfight between Sable and Frankie? The events happened far more gradual and it wasn't a straightforward action/reaction thing because the actions and reactions came from different parts of the story.
    Having an affair with your sister-in-law is kinda perverse, I agree. Would Jason have divorced Sable if Frankie hadn't come back?
    He said "it's because I can't stomach you anymore".
    But maybe that was all Jeff's fault, or Constance's fault, or Cecil or Philip or...etc etc.

It was so delicious because we could understand Sable's frustration, but at the end of the day she was the mover & shaker of her own destruction. It's not like she wasn't given any options.
    But I don't feel I have to take sides, it's just wonderful to watch the drama unfold.

[​IMG]
    Sisters 4 eva!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    I would have had it happen right after Sable calls Frankie a slut for the first time, tbh. :lol: It wouldn't last for long, though, as each of their respective husbands would break them apart and Jason would drag Sable out. And I would have had a second, much longer, catfight happen during this scene:

Only, before I'd have those fights happen, I'd rewrite Frankie so that she has a backbone... and either get Katharine Ross to remember what being an actor is and make her stop acting so wooden and mousy, or simply recast with a stronger actress.

I don't know, I could kinda feel sorry for Frankie in Season 1, because a lot of the bad stuff that happened were the result of Sable's own doing. And for a good long while, Sable refused to see any wrong in her own doings, and cast all the blame on Frankie. However, in Season 2, that's when Frankie started to lose all sympathy, until she was arguably worse than Alexis.

Yes, that would have been a good time for a throw-down as well, thus making it three-for-three! :lol:

12. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,230
    Medals:
    I'm sure it would have been *fun*, but I don't know if it would have enhanced the drama - if anything, I think there's a possibility that it would have undermined the drama.
    And when it comes to soaps, I prefer the drama to the instant (but forgettable) gratification of a physical fight. But like I said before, on DYNASTY it simply had to be done.

Every actor can do a catfight - especially when it's performed by stunt doubles - but the hissing & seething was Beacham's forte.
    "I can't afford to drop my guard" is what she said in one of the first episodes - well, that did't last very long - but to keep that animosity as restraint as possible is exactly what made Sable's frustration so believable and entertaining.
    She did slap Jason when he told her "I'm not divorcing you because of Frankie. It's because I can't stomach you anymore".
    And while that comment was based on the fact that she had shown her darkest side time after time, it's still a very cruel thing to say to the woman who had devoted her life to her family and husband and of course the Colby Collection: a shrine to the mighty Jason Colby.
    That slap wasn't an act of aggression or revenge, it was an act of pain.

And then there was that scene when Frankie casually accused Sable of fooling around with Zach Powers which was quite inappropriate because a) it was none of her business and b) being the mistress of her sister's husband made her the last person to criticize Sable's "escapade amoureuse".
    Sable's furious reaction "not with my sister's husband!", emphasized by lashing the whip, was the perfect (and creative) equivalent for the standard soap-face-slap.

The catfights worked on Dynasty, but on The Colbys it would have been unnecessary camp.

While I agree that Ross didn't give us The Performance Of The Year, it seemed to work for that character. That inconsiderate and semi-oblivious behaviour that, unlike what other fans think, was not rooted in menace or wickedness.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    I suppose you have a point there... but I still get frustrated that neither woman ever got slapped. :lol: Maybe I could have settled for a few slaps instead...

I'm not sure what you mean by that not lasting long? But you do bring up a detail that I always thought explained a lot of Sable's behavior: believing she can't afford to drop her guard, and believing so for almost 30 years, would certainly result in the levels of paranoia and jealousy that Sable exuded. It was also one of the first hints that Sable's marriage to Jason wasn't all that happy, or healthy.

And now I can't help but remember Beacham's catfight with Collins, and how Beacham looked like she really wanted to kill her. :D

[​IMG]

Once again, good point, and you describe her in a way that makes her seem to work on paper... but I'd still change either the writing/performance/actor. It mostly has to do with the fact that I still can't buy that Jason would leave Sable for Frankie. Although the way you described Frankie makes me realize something else that never really worked for me about her: nobody ever really seemed to question just why she was acting the way she was, whereas with Sable, nearly everybody, including Sable herself, would take a moment to ponder why she did what she did. I'm not sure how to explain it, but that helped me accept Sable for who she was, because I was given the reasons. I could understand her. But Frankie... I honestly don't remember ever getting that for her. Course I've mostly just been rewatching clips of Sable's scenes recently, so my memory of her is sharper, so... yeah. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    As Jason said, she didn't know when to quit, as here:

Oops, Sabella.

15. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    No wonder Jeff was such an asshole. Look who made him? Both of them! Dirty lying cheating scum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    In the DVD interviews, both JJ and SB mention learning from Charlton Heston; with SB flattered by the crew staying back to watch the scenes between CH and her. Personally, I enjoyed Mr Heston’s scenes with SB more when it was concerned issues of the children. (Also, his scenes with the children, more so when it wasn’t related to the parents’ marital issues.)

In terms of performance (use of paper props and all), this is my favourite snapshot of Jason’s and Sable’s domestic interactions: it's a time after their estrangement but gives a glimpse into how they likely interacted before their estrangement – with Jason busy working from home for a few hours and Sable interrupting for something or the other, ‘insisting’ he make time to hear her and he being patient enough to oblige (perhaps, having learnt instant obligation out of necessity) :

My 3rd favourite CH-SB scene in the non-marital woes category is the classic ‘it’s your fault’ delivered in the most neutral of tones …and words.

My 2nd favourite being this short introspective about parenting the children:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,912
    Medals:
    Jason: Do your best, keep your promises. That's fair. Always.

Isn't a vow a solemn promise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Zable's Eggnog

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    ^ Tell that to Fallon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. The Holiday Whore

Message Count: