Continuity Errors

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Gatsbyesque, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Fallon named her newborn son Blake Carrington Colby but at her funeral she is survived by her son Blake Jeffrey Colby.
    Alexis hires Morgan Hess to locate Krystle's ex-husband Samuel Mark Jennings but Alexis is arrested and tried for the murder of Mark Howard Jennings.
    When Dominique arrives in Denver no one knows who she is, in the following season several characters are fans an own her albums.
    Blake is convicted of manslaughter for the murder of Ted Dinard yet he is able to run for governor - despite being a convicted felon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +347
    The most egregious continuity error was the one that yawned between season 2 and season 9.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +347
    There’s also the fact that Blake’s verdant locks could take on the hue of mauve, then lavender and then wisteria - in the same scene.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    In season one, Blake told Fallon that his mother died when he was a child, and that she was named after her. So then we find out when Ellen Lucy Carrrington died, the even younger Ben was having sex with Emily. Talk about the precocious Carrington boys.

Of course the elephant in the room is Roger Grimes having "just died" in season 2 so Alexis can finally return to testify, only to find out he had been dead for decades even before 1982.

And the spin-off could have been called: DYNASTY II: THE CONTINUITY ERRORS since we had never heard of these people ever before, much less knew Jeff's mother was alive but did not even show up for his marriage, birth of his son, when his son was kidnapped, or when he lost his wife and mother of her child. Although when they introduced Ross' Frankie, a lot of that did make sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    In a season 4 episode I just watched, possibly the episode entitled "Dex" which is Nader's first appearance. He walks out of Alexis' Colby Co office and past her secretary's desk and then on out the next set of doors, presumably towards the elevator. However when he opens those final doors you can see the grey speckled and strangely shaped doorframe of Blake's Denver Carrington offices. So you walk out of Colby Co and into Denver Carrington!

6. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    It was part of the merger...

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    It was the same set. Just like the second floor of the Carrington mansion is the same set than the first floor.

The same occured in "The Colbys" : Powers Shipping was the same set that Colby Entreprises.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    My mind is blown! Colby Co and Denver Carrington the same set! I get the initial layouts being the same. You have that little waiting area where the secretary sits in both offices and then go threw doors into Blake's/Alexis' office. It makes sense, but it's very well done. I had no idea. I guess nobody knew that.

9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    It's funny because that's all going on at the time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,975
    Medals:
    Oh, I know. And some of them could have been corrected simply by addressing them: Blake lied about the date of his mother's death to "protect" his children from the horrors of the fire story, just as he never told Fallon and Steven about Adam's existence until the eldest son showed up at the front door one day -- y'know, to protect them.

And all Fallon had to do was call Alexis on the discrepancy between Roger dying in 1964 and Roger dying in 1981, so Alexis could blame Brian Dennehy for lying to her to manipulate her back into Denver to testify against her ex.

Before the final season of any show, there should be a marathon re-watching of the entire series by the staff in search of continuity issues and contradictions so they can be addressed, corrected, explained away -- or simply acknowledged with a shrug if no umbrella explanation will do the job -- before the series is over.

It's just fun for the fans.

This is the scene where I always envision Fallon asking for Alexis to explain how Roger died in prison when he was also asleep at the bottom of that lake for 17 years:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    Caress' hair deepens in colour and grows about 5 inches between scenes in this one episode from season 6.
    First at Blake's office, at just shoulder length.

Then at Alexis' penthouse it's darker and longer. Her hair is like this in most scenes when she's at the penthouse.

Her hair changes length and shade of brunette through out her time on the show. I don't think any of her stuff was filmed in any sort of order. I know shows don't shoot that way any way but it suggests more than the normal 7 or 8 days shooting time passed between her scenes within the same episode.

12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    That would have been great. But despite the writing on the wall (the death trap of a time slot, the much-reduced budget) the writing team refused to accept it would be the last season--hence the cliffhanger.

With all the people employed to make sure the correct car keys were present in a scene, couldn't a single person be named the show's historian?

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Yes. Sometimes the changes in the sets were minimal so everyone could see it (you know, like when they recycled Dominique's suite at La Mirage into Ashley's suite) but sometimes the changes were much more important.

That said, the carpet of Denver Carrington was the same than in ColbyCo, that was one clue (and, as you said, both offices are configurated the same way with the windows at the same place, etc).

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    OMG. Was Krystle breathing toxic fumes from Jeff's office when she was acting so stupid with Mark and the divorce? Mind. Blown.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Actually Krystle didn't have an office before season 4 (and never had one after). So it was Blake who was breathing the same toxic fumes. ;)

But Krystle's office was the same than Blake's... so it means Krystle and Alexis shared the same office too ! :lol:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    But was Krystle's office Blake's office or Blake's waiting area.

I also just realised that the bar in which Alexis sings The Boys In The Back Room is later recycled into Cora's whore house in season 7.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Blake's office. Blake's waiting area is Adam's office, Jeff's office, etc
    Only Steven in ColbyCo (from season 5) got his own set.

No the bar was a real location. It was used again in season 6 when Dex has an argument with some stupid guy about a stupid blond girl.

Cora's whore house used a different set each time it was featured in "Dynasty". The same for Steven's bungalow (the one where he made love to Claudia, where he brought Sammy Jo after their wedding and where Joseph tried to murder Alexis and Krystle) !

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    You are right! I just checked and the bar is obviously a real location. It's big and has that stair way and all. The reason I thought it was similar is that I recently saw a clip or Caress at Cora's and thought that the wood work was the same. It kind of is in places, but not exactly. And the places look nothing alike really. I just checked on youtube. lol

19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,402

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    Somebody commented how they loved how Caress was mistaken for one of the call-girls, and she wasn't the least bit offended, and I agree. :lol: