Conundrum. Who was invited back?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by chrisjc, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    TV Guide later called the 'Conundrum' finale "a helluva way to end a once-great show."

Funny, y'know, since Joel Grey was the Devil and stuff.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The last episode of Dallas could have been better. It should have continued where it left off with JR and the gun in his bedroom BUT stayed in present day. The filmed last episode just has a "what if" theme to it, and it just has JR with the gun at the house and then Bobby coming back at the end as it goes off. It was not good.

I would have rather seen something like this happen:

Bobby comes home from the airport and sees JR with the gun, he stops him from shooting himself.
    Michelle is all alone in her new house and vows revenge on JR
    Cliff owns Ewing Oil
    Bobby works at Southfork
    JR tries and tries to get control of Southfork and Ewing Oil
    Michelle is upset at Cliff for marrying her and her being alone in her new house
    Somehow, JR ends up meeting Cliff at his old office for a meeting and thinks it's to buy Ewing oil from him
    Someone takes a gun out of Cliff's drawer at his house.
    At JR's old office, at night, Cliff is nowhere to be seen. JR enters the office and wonders where he is
    Someone holds up a gun and shoots JR and he falls on his desk.
    Either it would end there or there would be a reveal of Michelle, who puts the gun in Cliff's desk.
    Maybe a scene the next morning with someone finding JR on the desk and the police searching and arrest Cliff, not saying JR's fate

3. Sarah Danner

Sarah Danner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I would have preferred Dusty Farlow. Or even Clint Ogden. Not a Nick Pearce fan.

4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    If I had to recraft the final episode, it maybe wouldn't be to the liking of a lot of the shows fans.

I would have the returning Steve Forrest along with Barbara Bel Geddes & Howard Keel finally admit that he was Jock & he left back in season ten to spare the family any more pain. I'd make the episode a real tear jerker & bring back Linda Gray & more importantly Victoria Principal.

I'd have Ellie, Clayton & Jock stop JR from shooting himself at the end of the first part. Jock says he has a surprise for JR & Sue Ellen & John Ross arrive at the ranch. Sue Ellen's marriage to Don Lockwood is over. JR tosses the gun away.

Bobby arrives & gets angry to see Wes Parmalee there. Wes tells him he's glad his two sons never died in the plane crash. Miss Ellie smiles, she finally admits that Wes really is Jock & left because his family wouldn't believe him. A silent Clayton says he will step aside & leave Southfork but Jock won't hear of it."You looked after my Ellie when I was gone, you will have to do it again, I'm dying!"

JR says to Ellie, "Does Bobby know about that Barnes woman!?"

"Not yet, but she'll be here shortly! Just you behave JR, Pam is the only woman Bobby ever truly loved, it's time for her to come home."

JR shakes his head & Jock laughs. "You never could stand her could you JR!? Behave yourself when she arrives. Bobby doesn't know she contacted Ellie about coming back. She's healed since the car accident. Let them both be happy."

JR nods. "Yes Sir, boy it's good to have you back. I just wish the Doctor's could help you." JR hugs his father. Jock smiles & there is a long flashback to Jim Davis. "I know I don't look the same, but I'm glad to be home."

A little later Bobby is getting ready to go out when Miss Ellie stops him. "Don't go yet, we're expecting a visitor. Someone you know very well."

"Who is it Momma?"

"You'll see," Ellie tells him.

We hear a car pull in. Cliff & Pam get out & Cliff knocks the glass door. Ellie opens the door, Cliff enters first, saying nothing he merely looks at Bobby & grins. Victoria Principal as Pam pushes past him & runs over to Bobby. Bobby embraces her & they kiss, behind them Sue Ellen kisses JR. Freeze frame, end of the series. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :eck::hide:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aaron P Dillon

Aaron P Dillon Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I am aware of the only other 2 that were invited back were Victoria Principal and Priscilla Presley. We all know Victoria eventually said no and Priscilla we busy wrapping up Naked Gun 2. I do believe it was a mistake not to have Susan Howard, Morgan Brittany, Charlene Tilton, Deborah Shelton and Audrey Landers back.

• Like Like x 2
  7. chrisjc

chrisjc Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would have nice to see Punk and Mavis.

8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Maybe the most important rule of the entertainment business is: "Give the people what they want." I seriously doubt there were many Dallas fans at all that wanted to see Cliff Barnes end up as the owner of Ewing Oil. Had Cliff been the good, honest, underdog that the fans rooted for to defeat JR, then having him gain control of Ewing Oil would have been satisfying to most fans. The problem is, Cliff was not that type of character. Neither JR nor Cliff were heroic, fan favorite types, but one big difference was that JR was a winner and Cliff was a loser. People like a winner. JR enjoyed life and was usually seen smiling. people like that. They don't like bitter, wimpy men who talk and talk about what they're going to do but lack the competence and strength to back up their words with action.

JR allowed Cliff to buy his half of Ewing Oil which was so out of character for JR that to try to make the audience believe he'd do that is nothing but an insult to the audience's intelligence. Audiences don't like to have their intelligence insulted. When JR failed to check and double check that the WestStar offer was legit and make sure nobody (such as Dusty) could knock him out of that spot in WestStar is asking the audience to just disregard everything they know of the character. Jr certainly would have known how stock and voting shares work. To ask the audience to believe JR thought that having the permission to use the voting rights was enough, despite the fact he knew Dusty owned the stock and the voting rights that went with it was far too much suspension of disbelief to ask from the audience. In the words of Scotty Demerest, "It stretches the imagination a bit too far."

• Agree Agree x 2