Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Richard Channing, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,493
    Medals:
    This four part documentary just came out on Netflix yesterday. I'll probably have a look. I've already seen at least one good doc on the subject but I'm curious to hear the version of Ted Bundy he wanted us to see, which is apparently what the tapes mostly are, as he at no point confesses to any of the crimes but rather is encouraged to hypothesize as to the kind of person who would commit such acts. But apparently he mostly preferred to talk about his life and the tapes are more of an exercise in PR and narcissism. Could be interesting...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Received an email from Netflix about this. I'll watch the first episode and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    Medals:
    What did you think? I'm fascinated by anything like this - the psychology and what makes them (serial killers!) tick.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    I don't think we would find the psychology of serial killers terribly interesting if we were able to wrap our brains around their heartless sadism; these kinds of sociopaths are just a mental blur of eternal manipulation, surface charm, baroque rationalizations, destructive cleverness for its own sake, and eroticized meanness -- and, yes, they've often experienced childhood abuse, but not always.

There's a creepy blend of weird conservatism about them and a desire for shock effect.

Probably the fascination so many people have with them is an attempt to understand the darker sides of themselves. And while that's work a peek, especially for purposes of valid introspection, it's really not worth a lengthy wallow. The more monstrous amongst us are actually not that compelling.

Nicer people are far, far more interesting.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    Then again, E. O. Wilson, "the father of sociobiology," said: We don't just fear our predators, we are transfixed by them, prone to weave stories and fables and chatter endlessly about them. Because fascination breeds preparedness, and preparedness breeds survival. In a deeply tribal sense, we love our monsters.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,330
    Medals:
    Jaws author Peter Benchley quoted these lines on a number of occasions. To the point that I'd reattributed the original quote to him (even though he invariably credited Wilson when quoting).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    This documentary was crazy but what was crazier is how dumb the police were. (I won't say why for the sake of spoilers but, if you know, you know.)