1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Cornelia Frances has died

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by Mel O'Drama, May 29, 2018.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163

• Like Like x 1
  3. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I will remember her best for her role as dragon lady Grace Scott in The Young Doctors and as Carmel Saunders in Prisoner Cell Block H.

RIP

4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,558
    The only show I remember her for is Sons and Daughters in which she played Barbara Hamilton but it seems like she was Australian soap royalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Aw, she was so great as Barbara. All that nostril-flaring self-righteousness! I kind of thought of her as Australia's answer to Donna Krebbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,282
    So sad. She was a gracious and lovely lady. I interviewed her in 1987 for a school project. What I most remember was how nice she was and so accommodating to me. She must have talked with me for about half an hour. Very down to earth, good humour and just a really friendly person. Thank you Cornelia. I shall remember you very fondly.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    Next week would mark the 30th Anniversary of her H&A debut so Morag was by far her longest-running role, I should think. Albeit recurring.

Curiously, I still think of her playing Morag as a novelty. Probably because I remember so clearly the excitement of seeing her first run on the show, all stony looks, smokey eye make up, flowing clothes and acerbic put downs. I'd loved her as Grace Scott and Barbara Hamilton and both were fresh in my mind (I'm fairly sure S&D was still running in my ITV region and it wouldn't surprise me if TYD was just winding down), and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I accepted her in this new role.

Her first two runs helped take things to soapy heights it hadn't reached before: stirring things up as Roo and Frank's wedding approached, leading to that whole mess. And then the reveal that she and Donald Fisher were Bobby's genetic parents, which was the closest to Sons And Daughters things had got up to that point.

I also appreciated that Morag's name had been mentioned several times in the months before she arrived. It was Morag who'd dug around to find out that Ailsa had stabbed her own father to death and the animosity between the two characters was great fun, especially factoring in the good terms that the two actresses' characters had been on in Sons And Daughters.

Anyway, even though I tuned out of H&A some four years into its run, there's something very comforting about knowing that characters like Morag have still been doing their thing every once in a while for the last few decades. And I'm glad Connie got some regular work from it.

She also gave great Annie..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMV0AILOt4

That's the first image that springs to mind for me.

Now you've said it, I completely get that analogy.

Lucky you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    Cornelia added such depth to that character and her scenes up against the might of Pat the Rat is now the stuff of television legend. May she Rest In Peace.

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    I think it's a typical example of "casting magic" when basically all you have to do is to put these actors in the same room and suddenly the atmosphere is filled with drama.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    It's what I find lacking in many of today's television series. Too many youngsters with their heads so far up their backsides they cannot see their talent lies elsewhere, not acting.

11. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    She was great, so memorable in her original H&A stint and managed to give the show a much needed boost every time she appeared in recent years.

• Like Like x 2