Coronation Street Coronation Street is lining up a male rape storyline

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Coronation Street is going to feature a storyline about male rape in 2018 as David Platt becomes the victim of a serious sexual assault.

The storyline will see the popular character, played by Jack P Shepherd, get drunk with a new character called Josh on a night out, only to wake up the next morning and discover he has been drugged and attacked.

[​IMG]

The storyline will focus on the stigma surrounding male victims of sexual assault, as David struggles with his feelings of shame and disgust and is left undecided over whether he should go to the police and explain what has happened.

According to reports, there won't be any sexually explicit scenes of the attack happening and will instead show the aftermath and the effects it has on David.

MEN adds that Coronation Street is working with local charity Survivors Manchester on the storyline to ensure it's covered sensitively and accurately, while The Mirror reports that the beginnings of the storyline will kick off in January, which is when Josh arrives on the cobbles.

[​IMG]

Normally, I'm not impressed when Corrie tackles serious issues because they crumble half-way through. That said I did think they tackled Bethany's grooming story very well and with someone like Jack P. Shepard behind this role I think this will be quite convincing.

2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Original Member Since:
    Adam was a lad.
    Perhpas, i heard a new set of titles for the show and rebranding were on the cards to Coronation Oaks. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sarah
    Sad

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,220
    Awful :( Not looking forward to that :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Original Member Since:
    It will be cheap and nasty. I just know.

5. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Coronation Street's male rape storyline begins as mysterious newcomer Josh arrives

Coronation Street introduces a controversial new character next week, as Tyrone Dobbs tries to replace Luke Britton at the garage.

Although it's a heartbreaking task, Tyrone (Alan Halsall) knows that he'll have to bring a new mechanic on board to replace Luke in order to cope with the workload.

This leads to handsome newcomer Josh turning up to apply, quickly making an impression on everyone.

c.jpg

Not only does Josh secure the job that very same day, he also impresses Tyrone by suggesting that they should hold a charity boxing match in memory of Luke.

Actor Ryan Clayton has been cast in the role of Josh, who's expected to take centre stage in one of Corrie's biggest storylines this year.

Last month, newspaper reports revealed that Coronation Street bosses are planning a male rape storyline, which will see Josh drug and attack David after a night out.

Corrie producers are yet to comment publicly on the storyline, but it's thought that they've been working with local charity Survivors Manchester to ensure that it's told sensitively.

6. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Original Member Since:
    Adam was a lad.
    This will be hard hitting.

7. StrangerDynastyTreeNat89

StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    Haha

Though despite the bat s**t mental storylines Hollyoaks does, they're probably the best soap when it comes to issue based storylines.

I have fo agree with @Ome when Corrie does and issue based storyline it does indeed crumble or it weirdly trails off, like Steve's depression storyline, it was marketed as a big storyline back in 2015 but then it just left discarded and they tend to use the same characters over and over too.

David has gone from being sinister to somewhat a put upon victim in recent years hasn't he? He's been through the mill.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barbara Fan
    Sweettooth

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Original Member Since:
    David deserves all our sympathy for that naff hair do he has right now (I wonder if he has found Audreys old heated rollers) and his beard!

Shave it off son! Not a good look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. StrangerDynastyTreeNat89

StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    I know right! That beard looks like its trapped on David's face trying to escape :-D

• Agree Agree x 1