Coronation Street Corrie: Extended

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Victoria Street should be with us soon, this will have

• Police Station
    • Zeedan's restaurant called "Speed Daal"
    • Tattoo Parlour called "Tattoo’ll Do Nicely"
    • Tram Station
    • Snooker Hall
    • Community Garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    More images coming through

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Tram Station

2.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpeg

Community Garden

5.jpg

7.jpg

Snooker and Tattoo Parlour

6.jpg

11.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,369
    The surrounding streets have their own mythology, having been mentioned many times over the years. I suppose there's a danger in bringing it to life that it won't live up to the mythology. At the very least it will probably look very different to how the viewer imagines it. And it's quite bizarre to see Weatherfield branches of Co-op and Costa. But it all looks very authentic.

When doing the Corrie tour a few years ago, my favourite part was getting to see the attention to detail - stuff you don't normally see when watching. Like the timetable on the Rosamund Street bus stop and the bins with Roy's Rolls painted on. It looks like the designers have carried this ethos into the new sets. I love how weathered and established it all looks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I find all this very exciting and in a way, it takes me back to '89 when they started building the houses opposite from the famous street and corner shop.

Like you mention, the surrounding areas have played a role for so long that just thinking about watching it all come to life fills me with so much excitement.

Back when they announced it was going to be on six times a week, they also said that they would be opening up Victoria Street, so that alone has been a long time coming. On top of that announcement, they said this would bring in lots of new characters to cover the happenings in and around Victoria Street. I haven't seen any mention of new characters and I'm hoping this is because they are keeping quiet as long as they can, otherwise, all this will feel a very big effort with little reward.

The thought of our regular characters mixing with new characters from all the different outlets offers so much more opportunity.

If I could have one wish to come out of this it would be to see some kind of 'one o'clock club' giving us a group of elderly characters who would meet often in the community centre. Last year, TPTB mentioned they were looking for the next Blanche and I hope they find one who comes with a group of pensioners that gossip about how life has changed through the years and seeing their perspective on today's social media, hopefully with a few bitter, grumpy old folk.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,369
    Yes - I know what you mean. Over the years there have certainly been a lot of changes going on around the main run between the Rovers and the corner shop, haven't there. I suppose the big differences with the new houses back then was that all the characters were adjusting to it along with the audience whereas with Victoria Street we just follow the characters into places they've been going to for years.

The new sets have got me thinking how Corrie has become its own industry - probably more than any of the other soaps. All the craftspeople they employ to bring it to life must be so busy coming up with new nooks and crannies. All these new characters and sets could have made a whole new series. Maybe two. But all that investment is going into making Corrie more expansive than ever, which is really impressive.

Considering there are already over sixty regular characters, the thought of even more is quite mind blowing and not a little overwhelming. Personally, the One O'Clock Club member in me prefers the intimacy of seeing about a dozen regular characters two or three times a week. But it will be interesting to see how it all goes.

That would be wonderful. It's a tradition going back to Ena, Martha and Minnie. The Street needs its relics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Here's what the cast think of the new set

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Yes, that's a good point I hadn't considered.

I watched another video earlier and it had one of the cast members taking the viewer through the new set, in it, she mentioned the door handles to the tram Station are the original door handles from the Rovers Return. Also cobbles they laid for Victoria Street are the original cobbles from when they demolished the original set - so there's some recycling going on too.

I see your point, but watching all six episodes (instead of the two we used to have) fills it with more meat and a whole load of opportunities. It's getting quite tiresome watching some of the more popular characters going through story after story. I feel they need to dilute some of the stories and spread them out more.

I don't know if the writers/producers are ever checking in with the 80s episode repeats, but I hope they are and this has some influence on today's characters.

8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    I'm getting a sense of de ja vu where Weatherfield North tram is concerned, it reminds me of Walford East tube station, I'm looking forward to seeing new characters arriving or old characters departing from this station.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +381
    The set looks great. My only niggle would be it looks to nice, to new, it needs to be a shit hole like Albert Square. Weatherfield is a rundown suburb.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    • Like Like x 1