Coronation Street Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Really enjoyed Wednesday night's episodes. Shocked how quickly Eileen did turn on Pat though and how quickly she went to the police. I'm really dreading him leaving or whatever because it's such a great storyline.

Really can't stand Michelle and her prank on Sally was cruel. Silly bitch, get a life.

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003
    It was quite a turnaround for her, I wonder if the writers have been trying to appease some of those viewers who are fed up with the storyline.

I hope Sally gets her own back on Michelle.

3. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    I am not looking forward to David's storyline next week, for me it does not seem to kit with CS and what it is about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Rita is one of my favourite characters but the speed with which she got on to Tyrone and Gemma was a bit silly.

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003
    Yes, but at the same time, I'm glad they are not dragging it along.

6. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    That was a powerful ending to Fridays Corrie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003
    Wasn't it?

I was not expecting it to be as blunt as it was and both actors played their parts very convincingly. As harrowing as it is, and uncomfortable it will be to watch, I'm glad they're doing this, if it gets people talking and realising that this happens. Too many people prefer to brush things under the carpet and hope it will go away gradually.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Coronation st was very good last night, credit to all involved. I was wary of CS tackling this subject, but if last nights episode is anything to go by they will nail this and do this important storyline justice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003
    Jack P Shepard's acting tonight was first class. I really felt for David's vulnerable side, something we haven't seen for a long time. The way Gail & Shona were acting over David's 'sleepover' was as natural as you'd expect, only because we know what happened, it felt awful to watch them. I also think the actor playing Josh is perfect casting, the whole story is harrowing to watch and I'm really glad they've done this.

I was reading that Corrie has had over 122 complaints following Friday's episode, I'm sure it will be people thinking this doesn't happen in real life.

11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I have to be honest here, and I know that Corrie won't be able to show anything too graphic, but had I not known this storyline was coming up, I probably wouldn't have been totally sure what had happened to David. I don't understand why he is throwing his clothes away or why he even wanted to face Josh in the pub. The acting is brilliant, but had the storyline not been made public beforehand, I am not sure I would have known it was rape. Also, what is Josh's motivation for doing this?

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003
    When David woke up, you could see in his face that something had happened, (he later said to Josh that he remembered what Josh had done) then he saw his own underwear on the chair and realised he had been in Josh's bed naked. That itself is questionable, no one undresses anyone and takes off all their clothes.

When he spoke with Josh it was obvious sex had taken place because David said he could still feel him inside. Josh went on to imply that it was consensual and that David had been flirting with him, even mentioning David pulling those 'puppy eyes' on him.

That's yet to be discovered.

I'm hoping they will spend some time explaining Josh's motives - has he done this before? He made sure that no other mates were with them that night, he pretended that some of his mates had pulled out and that it was going to be just those two. He came prepared with the drug implying it was premeditated.

Then again, it was David who was getting Josh to drink the shots and maybe Josh thought that was an invitation - not that this is acceptable, I'm thinking more about how Josh's mind might have been working.

All that said, there's still a way to go with this story and I think more will come out when David meets up with Martin on Thursday.

13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I dunno, I still would have liked to have seen a bit more than subtle hints. It's obvious something had happened but I thought it was all too coy.

I'm interested in Josh's motives too. He is very chilling and he did make me feel sick last night. Jack was amazing, he's one of the best actors on the show.

Leanne continues to drive me mad with her over acting, stomping and sudden realisations that all is not as it seems. I've also never seen anyone recover from major surgery as quickly as Carla.

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,003

15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43473007

This week Coronation Street aired its first male rape storyline, proving to be one of its most controversial topics to date.

The scenes, which see newcomer Josh Tucker drug and sexually assault hairdresser David Platt, have generated over 100 complaints to Ofcom.

It has also caused a debate on social media about the place of difficult real-life issues on light entertainment programmes.

David's storyline has gone some way to highlight how seriously soaps take issue-based storylines and how much work goes into them.

Ryan Clayton - who plays Josh - tells the BBC he "can't stress the importance" of why stories like this need to be aired and brought to a wider audience.

"The great thing, with whatever soap is covering it, is you've got millions of people tuning into a programme," he says.

The story of male rape is not new to soaps and Hollyoaks was the first to cover it - first in 2000 with Luke Morgan and in 2015 with John Paul McQueen.

Clayton says the reason the David Platt story has caused such a stir is because "Corrie targets an older generation" who he says can be "naive" about such issues, in comparison to the younger audience of Hollyoaks.

He also hopes that the difficult scenes could encourage viewers who have been victims of sexual assault to speak out for the first time.

'I wanted it to be like real life'

Clayton worked with Duncan Craig, who used his own experience of rape and sexual assault to advise on every part of the story - from the moment the idea was discussed to the day it was filmed and edited.

His charity, Survivors Manchester, has also been involved in offering advice to victims off the back of the show.

"I wanted it to be like real life," Craig tells the BBC.

"Not the rape on Friday, telling the police on Monday and punishing the perpetrator on Tuesday."

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    No Friday evening Corrie because of the effing football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Soap free Friday. :dd:

18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813