Coronation Street Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I know it has not done very well in the ratings as it was against Holby City in the UK, i hope we get another series. :pray:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766
    Damn!

Is it good for C4 ratings?

3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,910
    It's done really well in the ratings and is one of the most popular shows on C4, getting double the audience of Hollyoaks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    It was ninth in the Channel 4 ratings with 1.21 million viewers if we are kind and add+1, week ending 8th July.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    The new producer wants the Connors to become the new Barlow's and to become the central family.....as if they've not been in enough storylines recently!

I'm genuinely fed up with the Connors, most of them are unlikeable I liked Michelle's brothers (it seems they've been erased from existence and forgotten about) I still like Carla too, she's too great a character to dislike if I'm honest, I want her to form a new family of her own.

I'm seriously bored of the Kayla storyline, its another example of Corrie extending upon on a good storyline until it becomes a ragged mess, I don't recall viewers demanding a vengeance storyline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766
    It's not just that they are involved in so many stories lately, it's the fact that Corrie has turned them into really dislikable characters. I wish they would focus more on the Barlow family, especially now that includes Daniel and Adam. The only thing I enjoy about the Connors is Michelle's two sons and Jenny.

How is it that they have this central family and yet fill it with detestable people, Johnny, Kate, Michelle & Maria - they're so bitter and selfish and almost never see the error of their own ways. - Maybe that's the idea.

The only good thing I like about Johnny taking over the Rovers is that he intends to change the name and make it a Gastropub - that should make the residents hate him as much as I do.

Hell, they're even making Liz dislikable by connecting her with Johnny.

Oh, you already mentioned unlikeable :lol:

I'm actually getting tired with Carla and I really hope they start to do something with her outside the Connor family, I'm not that keen on a Peter reunion either, so I hope that isn't in the pipeline. She's such a wonderfully rich character, but they are draining her with all the stuff going on with Johnny & Michelle.

While I enjoyed the story about Carla & Ali, I'm hoping that they give her a new man who isn't connected to any of the other characters in the street.

Yes, absolutely. It should be enough that Bethany had to endure that terrible ordeal and now they're milking it for all they can get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    This is my main issue with CORRIE they do an issue based storyline, then when its concluded or just when the viewers thought it was done and dusted, they extend upon with a ridiculous, convoluted plot which debases the storyline it was based upon in the first place.

I had to laugh when Carla was pleading with Eva over Johnny.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    These comments have just led me into a YouTube wormhole of Ackley Bridge trailers and clips. It looks superb and is now firmly on my viewing radar for when (and if) my British sitcom marathon ends.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,308
    off topic @Mel O'Drama - love your signature, is it Just a minute with Nicholas Parsons and guests, who is the man infront of Paul Merton??

I havent seen Corrie since before World Cup - weather is too nice!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    Thanks BF. :hat: Yes - it is indeed JAM. Parsons surrounded by his best-known regular players.

That's the wonderfully doddery and acerbic Peter Jones - always guaranteed to raise an affectionate laugh in his appearances.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. LouiseP

LouiseP Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Who are the 2 at the back, left and right ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    Are we still talking about my siggy? :eek: Maybe it needs its own thread. :lol:

That would be Derek Nimmo and Kenneth Williams.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Slightly off topic, love your signature also for Just a Minute. Brilliant. ;)

[​IMG]
    Not sure who this is? know the rest.

I love how there are more woman on the panel now. I used to like Wendy Richard when she was on, bless her she was not very good but funny when she had a go at Nicholas and Paul. Jenny Eclair can be funny. My favourite panel game is "I 'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue." I still like the News Quiz, but miss Sandy. It was her laugh. :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Just seen post above, Peter Jones. :)

15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    Thank you kindly, WB. :hat:

Curiously, in both your pictures I can just see your avatar. Earlier I could see two footballers hugging. Now it's a man with a tight t-shirt and huge arms. :eyes:

Anyway, I'm glad you got to the bottom of the mystery.

Yes - it's good to see more women. As you said, Jenny is great. I enjoyed Sue Perkins too, and Miriam Margolyes made a hilarious one-off appearance back in the late Seventies. My favourite female panelist is Sheila Hancock who always gives as good as she gets and of course goes way back with the series. As she's not in my signature and I'm not great at photoshopping I've added her to my avatar.

Wendy was great. She made me laugh when challenged for hesitating, because she'd invariably screech "I was pausing for breath". And she always used to pull Clement on his lists, which was always fun.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766

I've often thought that when Corrie sees popular characters with the viewers, either through social media or any of these award shows, I think they take those characters and work hard to keep their stories alive. This can often kill a credible story because like you say, they have to extend it further and further.

Now I'm about to contradict myself... I have thought that they've been milking the 'Bethany' story for all they can get, and yet the other night when Craig played the recording to Kayla and I saw her finally realise the truth behind what her father had done. It had me thinking how this story goes beyond the just victim, it's showed how Neil's crimes had destroyed his family and in turn, it was making his daughter into a bad person, she was so desperate to see her father released and vindicated from these crimes that she would go to any length, you could tell that she didn't know what she was doing. It made me appreciate the story more as a whole than what I was doing during it.

17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766
    I've been thinking about the story where they are bringing back Jom McDonald and it's looking like he will arrive with Katie, their daughter who died in 1992. On paper, it looks like an interesting twist, but at the same time, we've already had a baby mix-up story with Michelle, so doing another seems more like being repetitive in finding new stories.

But, if it's a con and Jim is paying this woman so that he can win Liz back, then it could be really compelling, just imagining what this would do to both Liz & Steve is enough to see this story play out. Or, it could be a con by the woman and Jim doesn't have anything to do with it - but what would be her motive?

Maybe they could bring back Andy, even if it means a re-cast?

18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766
    Gosh! That Peter is like a slimeball trying to worm his way into Carla's life, the quicker Nick Tilsey returns and not Peter out the better.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Without being cruel, my hope is Johnny dies and then Jenny does an Annie Walker and carries on as Landlady of the pub. It could be a golden era for the Rovers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,766
    That's a fantastic idea!

• Agree Agree x 1