Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson I decided in Season 7, its discovered that Ann Howard never died. When Allison discovered her laying at the bottom of the bluffs in Season 4, she only assumed Ann was dead. But when the paramedics arrived and carted her off to the hospital, Dr. Harry Miles discovered she was still alive. Martin Peyton, however, blackmailed and bribed Harry into declaring Ann was dead, and then had her sent to a mental institution.

This is discovered after Martin Peyton has died, and a letter of confession is revealed to the family. Hannah believes Martin intentionally left the letter to be found, as his way of some kind of sick joke. "He knew it would make us all suffer!"

I'm thinking Ann, thanks to her fall, can no longer walk (although I did end up thinking that, alternatively, Ann never fell, but was simply knocked unconscious and laid there on the rocks, and everybody assumed she fell or jumped).

But Ann wants revenge for the past 3 years spent locked up... and she's going to take that revenge out on Hannah Cord.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson I decided in Season 3, Norman, who had gotten a scholarship thanks to some help from Elsie Thorton and Principal Kyros back in Season 2 (right before Kyros' murder), attends Peyton College, right alongside Lew Miles.

Selena doesn't go to college, as she eagerly becomes a full-time salesclerk at Doris Schuster's dress shop (and ends up becoming the manager, thanks to her being the best worker); Betty doesn't go either, as she's more focused on getting a job (possibly as a nurse, but we all know she ends up getting hired as Martin Peyton's second assistant) and then scoring a rich husband; Allison has left town by now; and Rodney isn't interested in college either, but instead starts that garage of his (I'm thinking eventually, both Norman and Lew end up working with Rodney at the garage).

But back to Norman. At the college, he attends the English class taught by Prof. Paul Hanley, who is only 10-15 years older. I believe it was you, Willie, who wanted something to happen between them. And it does in this version, though I can't quite decide what *does* happen: either Paul seduces Norman, who gets rescued by Lew; or Norman ends up pursuing Paul, but realizes things would be easier/better with Lew; or something else - I'm open to ideas.

Either way, Norman's experience with Paul does help him grow, and it helps him come to terms with a lot of stuff about himself.

Also, this sketch did inspire me about something for Betty:

You remember how in the original series, Steven found out Betty, before they were married, spent time in New York rooming with a prostitute, and got paid by a man (it was to help her get a bus ticket back home, I believe, and not for a night of pleasure)? And how Steven completely overreacted and made a public spectacle of his wife, even ordering that Elliot Carson publish all the information in the Peyton Newspaper?

Well, I thought, why not have Steven's reaction be a little more justified? Why not have it so that, in Season 4, Steven and Betty have a huge fight that results in a separation. Betty ends up crossing paths with Allison, and asks her what life was like in New York. Allison reveals that her old roommate, actress Stephanie Wallace, is looking for a new roommate now that Allison returned to Petyon Place. So they make arrangements for Betty to stay there for a while.

Allison does warn Betty about Stephanie: that she's bisexual, and propositioned Allison once. Allison admits to Betty that she did allow Stephanie to kiss her, but things never progressed. Betty is shocked and even somewhat impressed by Allison after that. (I'm thinking that one time, Allison, in an attempt to amuse/arouse Rodney reveals this bit of information to him; not sure if it works or not. But she also reveals this experience when she finds out about Norman and Lew to let them know she's got their backs.)

Since Betty plans on staying in New York only for a little while, Stephanie gets another, more long-term roommate, Sharon Purcell, who's been having an affair with an older and rich married man. For a few episodes, Betty, Stephanie and Sharon end up having a storyline similar to "Valley of the Dolls." Naturally, Betty fills the role of Anne; Stephanie fills the role of Neely; and Sharon is Jennifer (obviously a reference to Sharon Tate). Though I don't know if Stephanie and Sharon should die at the end of this arc, but Betty ends up realizing she doesn't want this lifestyle and books it back to Peyton Place ("At least there, its the kind of craziness I know how to handle!").

Since in this version, Betty is more akin to her "bad girl" book counterpart, she probably goes along with having an affair with an older man when she goes out with the other two girls. And this of course gets back to Steven, who, like in the original series, makes a spectacle of her at his surprise birthday party... but when he hands the papers over to Matthew Swain to publish in the newspaper, Matthew marches over to the fireplace and throws them in, refusing to humiliate Betty further (Steven is outraged while Betty remains grateful).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    More ideas:

In Season 7, there are some heavy hints that Betty has discovered Susan Winter in the real murderer and not Dr. Rossi. Betty gives an evil smile, obviously pleased she be able to finally get rid of Mrs. Winter, although the series ends before we get to see that. But again, its all only hinted at, so fans are able to speculate that Betty was able to help Dr. Rossi in time.

Also in Season 7, but much earlier in the season, Susan Winter makes a joke about there being a safe behind Betty's portrait... only it turns out, there actually is. And it contains a written confession from Martin Peyton about faking Ann Howard's death and where he locked her away.

In Season 4, Allison and Betty have a catfight. I had this idea for a while now, but kept on forgetting to post about it till now for some odd reason.

First, these are the outfits I imagine them wearing, or at least what the outfits could look like:
    catfight.png

The catfight takes place in one of the upper-class Inns, where an amateur talent show is being held:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not sure exactly how the fight gets started, like what chain of reactions cause it, but I do know that I would like it to go like this:

(Imagine Betty in place of Lucille Ball, with Allison as Maureen O'Hara; but then switch the roles towards the end, because it would make more sense for Betty to be the one being dragged by her long hair, haha.)

In the end, both girls make up, and even have a laugh about it later, although for a while there's a threatening glint in each other's eye whenever they pass each other in the street. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I also made up a cast list for all the regular/recurring characters that appear over the course of the 7 seasons. I even came up with a way on how to organize them, by doing how "The Simpsons" keep track of all their characters: by listing every member of the Simpson family, and then branching off into different sections in relation to each family member.

For the "Peyton Place" cast, I decided to start off with the main six teenagers (Allison, Rodney, Betty, Selena, Norman and Lew) and go from there:

Allison MacKenzie
    -Constance MacKenzie
    -Elliot Carson
    -Matthew Swain
    -Michael Rossi (as he ends up marrying Constance)
    -Joe Rossi
    -Jill Smith (the woman closely associated with Joe)

Rodney Harrington
    -Leslie Harrington
    -Catherine Harrington
    -Martin Peyton
    -Hannah Cord (not related, but still very important to the family)
    -Steven Cord
    -Ann Howard

Betty Anderson
    -George Anderson
    -Julie Anderson

Selena Cross
    -Lucas Cross
    -Nellie Cross
    -Paul Cross
    -Joey Cross
    -Peter Drake (Selena's future husband)

Norman Page
    -Evelyn Page

Lew Miles
    -Harry Miles
    -Alma Miles

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  5. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Other families:

Marion Partridge
    Charles Partridge

Harmon Carter
    Roberta Carter
    Ted Carter
    Jennifer Burbank (Ted's future wife)

David Schuster
    Doris Schuster
    Kim Schuster

Gus Chernak
    Joe Chernak
    Stella Chernak
    Richard Jensen (Stella's abusive lover)

Lee Webber
    Sandy Webber
    Chris Webber

Sgt. William Walker, a black cop; possibly the Chief of Police
    Joanne Walker, William's daughter, of whom he's very protective; she's a few years younger than the main teens, and idolizes Selena for being a fashionable working girl

Tom Winter
    Susan Winter

Eli Carter (based on Eli Carson from the original show, but no longer Allison's grandfather; though he does have a grandfatherly role with all the youths in town)
    Maggie Riggs (Eli's future wife)

Other characters:

Tomas Kyros, Principal of Peyton High School
    Elsie Thorton, teacher and later Principal of Peyton High School

Nurse Choate
    Kathy Ellsworth, another nurse at Peyton Hospital; I'm thinking about making her older, black, and having a romance with the widowed Sgt. Walker, only Joanne, still missing her mother, disapproves

Paul Hanley

Rev. Jerry Bedford, who falls for Betty in Season 3, but graciously steps aside when Betty chooses Steven; but in Season 7, when it looks like Betty and Steven's marriage is failing, Jerry comes back into her life

Jack Chandler

The Judge, so far a nameless character who always proceeds over the cases that happen on the show

Stephanie Wallace
    Sharon Purcell

That's all for now, but I think that's almost enough to last 7 seasons, right? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Thanks! :)

Also, I realized I should probably mention that, in Season 7, when Dr. Rossi is accused of murder, it plays out similar to the original series, only with Constance in the role of Marsha (who I won't be including in this remake). Only I'm not sure who could fill the role of Fred... perhaps Joe Rossi? That certainly would be something, for Dr. Rossi to be accused of killing his own brother. The motive? Joe molested pregnant Constance.

However, there are a few other suspects, including Susan Winter (hinted to be the real killer), Jill Smith (who manages to give slightly damning testimony against Michael), and possibly Allison. Though Allison states that she wishes it *had* been her. Except Rodney provides her with an alibi.

That's actually another thing I want to mention for Season 7: during this whole time, Rodney and Allison hang out a lot. They're often seen having lunch or dinner together, they go to the movies, go on walks, hang out in their respective living rooms watching TV or reading books or listening to the radio... and yet, it's never stated if they're dating again or not. Nobody ever mentions it, nobody ever asks them if they are; not even Rodney and Allison's behavior towards one another leans one way or the other, as they never kiss, but do frequently hold hands.

The point of the ambiguity is to allow the audience to decide for themselves whether Rodney and Allison get together in the end or not.

...Of course, if there's ever a reunion movie made, it would be confirmed that yes, Rodney and Allison do marry. X)

7. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson What do you think of the idea of casting Marcia Cross as Hannah Cord?

hannah cord marcia cross.png

8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson For the longest time, while I wanted Norman to murder his mother in Season 4, I couldn't figure out his motive or how he does it. But now, I think I've thought of something... except I'm not entirely sold on this idea. Here it is, so far:

That same season, Paul Hanley becomes the victim of a hate crime, and dies. Norman is devastated, but then Evelyn calmly remarks that Paul deserved to die. Norman snaps, grabs a heavy metal object (not sure what yet), and strikes his mother so hard she falls down dead.

After that... I've got nothing. I don't want Norman to get in trouble (cuz let's be honest, his mother had it coming), but I can't think of how that could happen. I thought about maybe Lew (and possibly Allison) helping Norman to stage things like a burglary gone wrong, except that makes them seem too horrible. I also thought about Norman going into shock and repressing the memory, and that he goes over to the Miles house to study with Lew, only for Sgt. Walker to show up to inform Norman his mother was found dead; but even that I'm not too sure about.

As always, I'm open to ideas.

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    If the shock causes him to lose his memory (about this particular event) then he'll look innocent and the police will be looking for another culprit. But who should be wrongly accused and convicted?

10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    ....I've been inspired. You know how you weren't quite sold on the idea of Jack Chandler abducting Allison in Season 5? How about instead, he's the one who's wrongly accused and convicted of Evelyn Page's murder? I mean, talk about irony: he gets away with killing his wife, and is on the verge of killing the only witness, only to be accused/convicted of a crime he didn't commit, and that's how he receives his punishment.

Also, this is a little off the topic, but I also remember you weren't quite sold on the idea of Betty Anderson being made Hispanic for this remake. I thought of a possible compromise: Betty's father, George, is white, but her mother, Julie, is Hispanic.

I can see Marion Partridge, because she hates how "loose" Betty is, often referring to her as a "crossbred slut."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  11. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Also, today, I checked out the book version of "Peyton Place." I've already read the first few chapters (they're all short, so it was easy to do), and already I feel justified in making Selena Cross black, because the way how she's described:

"Selena had long dark hair that curled of its own accord in a softly beautiful fashion. Her eyes, too, were dark and slightly slanted, and she had a naturally red, full-lipped mouth over well-shaped, startlingly white teeth. Her skin was clear and of a honey-tan shade which looked as if it had been acquired under the sun which, on Selena, never faded to sallowness in the long months of the harsh New England winter. 'Put a pair of gold hoops in her ears,' said Miss Thorton, 'and she'd look like everybody's idea of a perfect gypsy.'"

So it really wouldn't be too much of a stretch to cast a black actress for the part. :)

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Then I'd make Selena the hispanic character. Heck, even the name sounds a bit Spanish.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Hmm... you may be right on that one. I'd have to readjust a lot of my mental images now. :lol:

But I'm more than halfway through the book now. Its a fascinating read, mostly because I'm seeing the source material of the whole Peyton Place saga for the first time. Did you know that in the book, there was a carnival accident? Plus, there was also a forest fire, and I think I'd include that in the remake show. :D

Also, the way how the book describes Allison (skinny, flat, big eyes, long hair), at first I was imagining Mia Farrow, but now I'm imagining Leigh Taylor Young, because it said Allison's hair is brown.

[​IMG]

Plus, the book also described Betty Anderson exactly how I would have cast her: overdeveloped for her age. :lol: So far, her hair and eye colors haven't been mentioned.

betty.png

Another surprise for me is that the book described Norman Page almost exactly how I would have cast him: a thin, feminine-looking boy.

Rodney Harrington, however, has curly black hair in the book, and is only 5'8, unlike the golden-haired, 6'1 Ryan O'Neal.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Yes, that's why I want to see it on NuPeyton Place, but more like a big season finale cliffhanger:)
    Some girl lost her arm (I think) but I don't remember who it was.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Agreed, it would make a great season finale cliffhanger. :D

The girl who lost her arm was Kathy Ellsworth, Allison's friend after she and Selena stopped hanging out. I don't think I'll include Kathy in NuPeyton Place, because there's already a lot of characters, and some of her stuff can be divided up between either Selena (losing her arm in the carnival accident) or Betty (there's a scene in the book where she casually mentions to Allison, "Some boy screwed me once.").

16. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    None. The television and social landscape aren't the same as they were then.

17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Welp! I finished the entire book. Now all I have to do is see if the library has "Return to Peyton Place", because the first book left on kind've a dis-satisfactory note. Particularly where Norman Page is concerned. I hope he turns up again in the sequel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Here's an idea or two that was inspired by the book.

In the novel, Rodney Harrington's mother is Elizabeth Fuller, "a tall, slim girl who had the aristocratic look which sometimes comes after generations of inbreeding." She was originally engaged to Seth Buswell (the newspaper editor), but Leslie Harrington stole her away. They were married for less than 10 years before she died giving birth to Rodney. But here's the really twisted part: for their first 8 years together, Elizabeth miscarried 8 times. Every doctor and specialist Leslie dragged his "frail, tired wife" to, told him that she would not survive another pregnancy. But what started out as a desire for a son and heir became an obsession for Leslie Harrington, and when Elizabeth got pregnant in their 9th year of marriage, he hired a doctor and two nurses, who kept his wife on bed-rest the entire 9 months. After Elizabeth gave birth to her son, she only lived long enough to hear him cry once. She died even before one of the nurses could clean the baby and put him by his mother's side. And what did Leslie Harrington feel? Triumph. A greater feeling of triumph than he had ever known as he held his son for the first time. And he felt no horror at what he had done to his poor wife.

But that was the book's version. What I had in mind for NuPeyton Place was this:

Catherine Peyton is not Rodney's mother, but his stepmother. His birth mother was, of course, Elizabeth Fuller. What had happened to her was pretty much what happened in the book, only she was originally engaged to Matthew Swain (as he's the newspaper editor in this version).

Rodney gets on very well with his indulgent father, but he is not fond of his demanding, selfish, narcissistic and cruel stepmother. When Rodney first starts hanging out with Allison, he confides in her that, as a small child, after hearing the story of "Cinderella" read to him, he became terrified at the idea that he father could die, leaving Rodney all alone with his stepmother. Allison guiltily says she's had a similar thought for most of her life: what if it had been her mother who died, and her wonderful, princely father had lived? (This is one of the several things Rodney and Allison end up bonding over: a preference for the fathers in their lives as opposed to the mothers.)

When Catherine Harrington dies, Rodney again confides in Allison. He tells her he can't help but feel a little guilty at feeling relieved that it was his stepmother who ended up dying first. Allison thinks Rodney should feel more than a *little* guilty... but at the same time, she can understand why.

Very soon after this, Martin Peyton becomes more involved in his step-grandson's life. Although the two previously had little in the way of interaction, Martin and Rodney somehow manage to start a rapport with one another. This gets Martin to concede that, even though Rodney was not Catherine's son, he was still a legitimate child; and had been adopted by Catherine; and Rodney was handsome, charming, and seemed clever and capable enough (plus Rodney never spoke ill of Catherine around Martin, or anybody else except Allison); therefore, he was "worthy enough" to inherit Martin's vast fortune after all.

But then comes along Steven Cord. In Season 1, he is merely a recurring character without much importance (aside from the fact that his eyes are continuously drawn towards Betty whenever she's around), but in Season 2, it is discovered (not sure how its discovered; as always, I'm open to ideas) he is the blood-son of Catherine Harrington.

Leslie Harrington is instantly threatened, realizing this could mean Martin Peyton will leave everything to Steven and leave Rodney out in the cold... ignoring the fact that Rodney still would have Leslie's own fortune to look forward to.

However, Martin Peyton proves to hate bastards. Particularly *this* bastard, Steven Cord, who is "the spawn of the scum who seduced my daughter!" But Steven's not going to let go of what could be his without a fight. Thus begins a war between Steven, Rodney, Leslie and Martin, with Hannah sneaking around all four of them, pretending to help Martin, but really wanting Steven to get everything.

In Season 7, Hannah produces something that could be the final decision in the matter: a letter allegedly written by Rodney's birth mother, Elizabeth, to her ex-fiance, Matthew Swain. The letter reveals that Matthew, who's been dead since Season 6, could be Rodney's father... and therefore making Rodney not only a bastard, something which Martin Peyton hates, but also making him Allison's distant cousin to boot.

Thankfully, Martin Peyton realizes the letter could be a fake, especially considering how it was discovered after Matthew Swain had died, so that he could neither confirm or deny what the piece of paper said. So he decides to do a bit more investigating, and even suspects Hannah of faking the letter.

As for Rodney, this bit of news shakes him up, especially since this means he could have lost not one father, but two. Allison, however, refuses to believe the letter: "Why, you look exactly like Leslie Harrington did, and nothing like how Matthew Swain did. The former has got to be your father, I'm sure of it!"

I'm thinking Martin, who's health is rapidly declining, finds out that the letter is indeed a fake. So he decides that the best way to punish Hannah is to release Ann Howard from the sanitarium. With his last few ounces of strength, Martin writes out a confession of where Ann is, and, after putting it in an envelope, has a maid/nurse hide it in the safe behind Betty's portrait, which he leaves to Betty herself. He had the letter hidden so Hannah could not destroy it.

There! How does that sound? :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  19. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Building up on the above idea about Catherine Harrington being only Steven's stepmother:

In Season 3, when Betty weds Steven, Martin Peyton starts pressuring Betty to have a child right away. Betty defies him, as she's not entirely ready just yet. Martin doesn't mind this defiance, as it reminds him of his precious daughter, Catherine. But he doesn't want Betty to get pregnant for Steven's sake. Martin's plans are, as soon as Betty becomes pregnant, he'll start sabotaging her and Steven's marriage so that they'll get a divorce. Then Martin will push Betty and her fatherless child onto Rodney.

That way, the Peyton bloodline will carry on through Betty's son (but with the "tarnish" of bastard-child Steven gone; at one point, Martin will say to him, "Your only redeeming trait is that my daughter's blood flows in your veins!"), who will also inherit Rodney's Harrington money.

So that's Martin Peyton's goal for the rest of the series, though there are some obstacles in his way: Rodney is still hung up on Allison, who refuses to heed Martin's subtle warnings about staying away from his step-grandson; Leslie Harrington approves of his son's relationship with Allison and supports them, even to the point of openly opposing Martin's objections; Steven is determined to make his marriage to Betty work and fights doggedly for it (although at times, it looks as though he's doing it out of pride rather than love); Betty is reluctant to even have a baby in the first place.

But Martin Peyton, miserable old man that he is, is equally determined to have his way.

20. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson You remember how I described my vision of how Allison looks in the first season? All "Alice in Wonderland"-y, right? Well, I ended up deciding to make a collection of pictures (mostly consisting of dress-pattern pictures I googled of 1960s fashion) of how I'd have Allison look throughout the whole series... and ended up doing the same thing with Constance, Selena, Betty and Alma.

First up, here's Allison MacKenzie:
    fashion allison.png
    The photo on the far left is how I imagined Allison would look in the pilot episode; very "Alice in Wonderland." She looks like this for pretty much the first two seasons, until she has her breakdown in the Season 2 finale and cuts her hair (I imagine that scene playing out in exactly one take: I'd have the actress sit facing the camera, pretending she's looking in a mirror, and hacking off her own hair with no cut-away's - no pun intended). Then from that point onward, she looks more like the photo on the right, as well as the drawings. In fact, you see the yellow dress with the flowers? I think I'd have that be the dress Allison puts on when she leaves Peyton Place; she bought it from Doris Schuster's shop because "it looks happy." That, along with her new shoes, new purse, and new haircut, is what causes Betty and Steven to not recognize Allison when they spot her standing alone at night. And when Allison returns in the Season 3 finale, I imagine her wearing the teal dress with the white trim. I'm also thinking that maybe in Season 7, Allison starts to grow her hair out again.

Next up, we have Constance MacKenzie:
    fashion constance.png
    I think Constance was the easiest one to think up a style for. Now you see the gray dress in the upper left corner, next to the drawing that looks like Dorothy Malone? That's how I would have Constance look in the first season. Its supposed to represent that she is sexually repressed, living a rather staid lifestyle. Despite her gray clothes and flat hair, however, Constance is the sort of woman who's beauty always manages to shine through. According to Selena Cross, Mrs. MacKenzie is the most beautiful woman in Peyton Place. Pretty much everyone talks about how good-looking she is (there's even a group of old codgers who gather outside City Hall to sit and grouse, and they describe the young blonde widow as being "built like a brick sh*t-house"); and lots of men come into her store to try and have a chance with her. Even Leslie Harrington, the day right after the one-year anniversary of his first wife's death, would strut in and buy a book - every single day for a week, before he finally asked her out. But Constance had the same answer for him as she did for every other man: "No." That is, until later in Season 1, when Principal Kyros comes and asks Constance to chaperone at the prom. She reluctantly agrees... and then Constance's best friend, Alma Miles, who is also chaperoning, encourages Connie to go down to Doris Schuster's dress shop and buy a new gown. Constance is talked into it, and purchases a pink one. Although she returns to her usual gray, after she has her midnight swim with Dr. Rossi, Constance decides to update her wardrobe, and starts wearing a more colors, particularly pink, blue and floral patterns.

Selena Cross:
    fashion selena.png
    When looking for images that would be suitable for Selena, I just went with how the book described her. I was rather surprised but pleased when I found a whole bunch that matched the description (plus some of these look like they could pass for Hispanic). Of course, like the other two, Selena starts off the series with a look different from how she looks from the rest of the series. In Season 1 she wears a lot of hand-me-downs, all of which are ill-fitting, faded and ragged. But once she gets a job at Doris Schuster's dress shop, her wardrobe takes a turn for the better. In fact, when she first approaches Mrs. Schuster for a job, Doris tells Selena to wear something more appropriate when she comes in. Embarrassed Selena admits she already has on her best outfit. An awkward silence follows, before Doris presents Selena with a new dress. At first Selena says she won't accept charity - but Doris insists that the dress is merely a "work uniform." So Selena takes it, silently vowing she'll pay the cost back once she can.

Next up, Betty Anderson:
    fashion betty.png
    The photos of Barbara Parkins are supposed to represent how I imagine Betty looking in her very first scene in the pilot. While Allison is virginal and Selena is impoverished, Betty is a sexy vamp with her hooks sunk deep into the town's richest boy. Also, I chose the pictures based on not only their clothes (which are more how I imagine she'd dress while married to Steven), but also how similar their hair looked to Parkins' in the photo. The reason is that I'm trying to have as many differences between Betty and Selena as possible (one may be white and the other Hispanic, yet since both would have black hair and dark eyes, there's still the possibility that they'd get mixed up by the audience. So as long as they each have a distinctive hairstyle from each other, that lessens the likelihood).

Last but by no means least, is Alma Miles:
    fashion alma.png
    Alma was the hardest of these five to find good images for, mostly because the 1960s offered very little in having black women on dress pattern packets. I ended up having to settle for ladies who simply have similar hairstyles/skin tones to Ruby Dee when she played the part. I also decided to keep with the idea of having Alma represent the White Queen from "Through the Looking-Glass" by giving her 5 different white dresses, though she does get to wear other colors.

And that's all for now. I might do the same with some of the other characters, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1