Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    It's becoming quite a project, Ked!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Heh, thank you... I guess. :lol: But yeah, whenever I like something, I tend to obsess over it. My brain starts going a million directions at once, looking for idea after idea... you can bet I've lost a lot of sleep over my pet-projects. :lol:

Btw, regarding Selena being Hispanic now: its got me second-guessing a lot of what I already had in mind for her. Before, I was all set to have Lucas Cross be her birth-father and not her stepfather, because Grace Metalious wanted that originally for the character. She had based Selena off a girl she either knew or knew of, who had been molested by her own father since she was 14. But Grace's publisher told her that the incest storyline was too racy, and so Lucas became Selena's stepfather, which Grace thought unfortunate, because she wanted Selena's abortion to be totally justified.

Although, I did read an essay a while back, discussing how the town seemed to consider that Selena "owed" herself to her stepfather, regardless of how he treated her. First they say, "He took her in as if she were his own"; and then after the news of him raping her comes to light, "Its not like she was his own." I think that could speak more volumes on just what kind of a town this is (though to be fair, in the actual book, it was more some paranoid individuals who were assuming that's what the town would think).

But if Lucas in this version is still Selena's stepfather, then he could remain white, as does Paul Cross (since he'd be Selena's stepbrother). Nellie Cross, however, would have to be Hispanic, and Joey Cross would be half-Hispanic, as he was born after Lucas and Nellie wed.

Another thing I'm second guessing about my original storyline is Selena blackmailing Lew Miles into marrying her. Originally, when I had Selena as black, I was intrigued by the idea of the town's only black boy and girl coming together under a total farce, since Lew was gay and Selena only wanted the Miles family fortune. But now I'm thinking that Selena never marries Lew; and Lew is actually bisexual, going back and forth between Norman Page and Joanne Walker (who, unlike my original version, is no longer a younger student, but is now the same age as Lew).

Since its the '60s, Lew ends up choosing to stay with Joanne, but he is straight with her (no pun intended) about his proclivities. Joanne would be understanding and agree to never tell anyone... although at one point, Vickie Fletcher finds out about Lew and Norman, and tries to blackmail Lew into marrying her. Lew tells this to Joanne, who confronts Vickie and tries to counter-blackmail her with the fact that Vickie was involved in a hit-and-run, but Vickie won't back down. So Joanne goes to her father, Sergeant Walker, who corners Vickie and threatens to have her arrested as a prostitute ("All I need are a few witnesses, and I know plenty who'd be willing!"). Cowed, Vickie backs off.

As for Norman, he doesn't end up with a girl. Though I'm not sure just what happens to him yet...

3. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    No lesbian stuff RE: Kirby and Fallon. Gross.

4. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I think you have the wrong thread. ^^

5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Lol! I do! My bad!

6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    That's alright. Weird stuff like that happens. :)

7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    Pray tell, how would he have been able to tell based on the last 3 pages of so of this thread? :D

8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Ended up doing wardrobe collections for Hannah, Marion, Joanne and a kinda-sorta-new-character.

Hannah Cord
    fashion hannah.png
    I chose a lot of red outfits to keep up the Red Queen motif. Whenever Hannah does something significant (such as the two times she destroyed the portrait of Catherine Harrington), she wears red.

Marion Partridge
    fashion marion.png
    From the start, I knew Marion should wear red rose prints, for the motif of her as The Queen of Hearts. But aside from that, I wasn't sure what she should wear. Then I came across a picture of a polka dot dress. I hate polka dots, and I realized that was perfect for Marion. :lol: I also decided Marion would be the type who likes to wear hats, particularly big ones. The book described her as a mediocre person who desperately wants to be seen as important, but it also said she had a deep love of material possessions. Which suggested that Marion didn't really have much of a sense of style or taste.

Joanne Walker
    fashion joanne.png
    The on-again-off-again girlfriend of Lew Miles, and the only child of the widowed Sgt. Walker. Joanne starts off in the series as more of a secondary character, but in the later seasons she gains more prominence.

Lee Suen
    fashion Lee Suen.png
    Based off an Asian girl who appeared in the original series:
    (skip to 10:27)

Allison called the girl "Lee", although when she introduces her to Doris, it sounds like she calls her "Lisa." So I decided to give Lee a last name that began with "S", and found a suitable Chinese surname, "Suen."

Lee Suen is the best friend of Joanne Walker, and like Joanne, starts off as mostly a secondary character, but gains a bit more prominence in later seasons. She is in the drama club at the Peyton Place High School, and in Season 1, she convinces Selena to play the part of Esmerelda when they put on a play version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." Everybody agrees that Selena is perfect for the role... but she proves to be too perfect, for when her lecherous stepfather, Lucas, sees Selena onstage in costume... well...

Lee's parents own and run The China Dragon, a restaurant that, in the original book, resided in the neighboring town of White River. But for this series, The China Dragon is right in Peyton Place. Its a fairly popular place, as it serves not only delicious food and has beautifully exotic decor, but also offers a small dance floor and musical entertainment.
    fashion Lee Suen2.png
    Lee works there during the times where she doesn't have to attend rehearsal. She plans on leaving for New York sometime after high school in order to pursue an acting or possibly a modeling career, much to her parents' concern. They'd like her to at least attend college first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, I came up with a bit more for Joanne Walker: eventually she gets a job as a nurse at the Peyton Place Hospital. Not only would that help keep her more involved in the town's drama (we all know hospitals are gold mines for drama in *any* TV series), but it would also forge a stronger connection with the going's on of Harry Miles, her future father-in-law, as well as Michael Rossi.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Can she be Lee Suen Yoowing?
    How very 1960s!
    She's the evil version of Hyacinth Bouquet!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    ...I'll be honest, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. :lol: I mean yes, "Yoowing" is an actual Chinese name, but I don't know; I wanted her name to be short and simple. Unless you have a reason for choosing that particular name?

Indeed! :D Although fun fact: the book (written in the '50s, but set in the late '30s and early '40s) had a guy mention that he took his wife out to eat and dance at the China Dragon, which is where I got the idea. :)

[​IMG]
    "What ARE those MacKenzie sluts up to?!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Also, what do you think of the idea of the same actress portraying Catherine Harrington and Ann Howard?

The reason I'd do that is so that the actress who plays Catherine won't feel cheated at appearing in only a handful of episodes, despite her character having such an important impact on the show. And it'd be a way to keep her around for the entire series: I'm tempted to have Catherine die in the pilot, but she reappears in flashbacks, and maybe sometimes nightmares and/or hallucinations for the first two seasons. In Season 3, the actress gets to wipe off her "middle-aged" makeup and don some youthful clothes, becoming Ann Colby Howard. In Season 4, she gets to play another death scene (and in the show's 100th episode, if each season gets 30 eps), but continues to appear in flashbacks.

(Having Catherine played by an actress in her mid-to-late 20s would mean we'd be able to flashback to the characters' youth when she seduced Hannah's husband and had the twins. Even to when she somehow managed to convince Leslie Harrington to give up on pursuing Constance MacKenzie and marry her instead.)

Not sure if Catherine or Ann make any appearances in Seasons 5 or 6, though they will at least be mentioned a few times.

Then in Season 7, Ann Howard makes her return from the mental institution where she had been locked up... and I'm even thinking about having it so that she's the one who killed Joe Rossi (in order to stop him from hurting Michael). But even when Dr. Rossi is accused of the crime, she's not willing to come forward, as she's not willing to be locked up again. Plus, she had intended to lay evidence that would frame Hannah Cord. But there are some hints that, going by witness reports of Joe Rossi talking with a woman with long blonde hair, that Ann might be able to frame Susan Winter for the crime... but the series ends before that's confirmed or denied.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    [​IMG] :giggle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I *thought* so, but wasn't sure. :lol: Huh, the Yoowings... the Harringtons... Ann Colby...

Y'know, I might be convinced to add in "Yoowing" if you can come up with more surname references to other famous soaps. In fact, I'm also tempted to have it so that Ann never married, so that she's just "Ann Colby" when she arrives. Just so the references are a little more apparent. :lol:

16. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson I'm glad now you didn't like the idea I had for Jack Chandler and Allison in Season 5, because I've got something a little different for Allison that year.

You know how I have Chris Webber die in the Season 5 premiere? I decided that Lee Webber irrationally blames Allison for his brother's death ("If he hadn't been with you, like I told him not to, then he'd still be alive!"), and takes advantage of her being wheelchair-bound by taking her to the bluffs, where he intends on pushing her off (he pushed Chris off the bluffs, which blinded him; he was accused of pushing Ann off them as well, although we later find out he didn't - and yet Lee did gleefully tease that he *might* have pushed her). Thankfully Allison is rescued in time by both Norman and Sandy. A fight breaks out between Lee, Norman and Sandy, resulting in Lee falling off the bluffs himself. Landing right where Ann Colby was found, perhaps?

I think this would be an important moment for Norman; not just because of him accidentally killing his mother the previous season, but also because I'm thinking, in Season 3, Norman either signs up for, or gets drafted, for Vietnam.

In the book, Norman went off to fight in WWI, but was soon medically discharged on the grounds of being "mentally unfit to handle the duties of a soldier." He went "psychoneurotic" under fire in France. His mother told everybody that her son was discharged for a "terrible leg wound," and when Norman came back into town, his chest was covered in campaign ribbons - all of which Evelyn purchased herself in a store by a service base.

Norman had protested to all of this, but his mother said:

"Do you want everyone in town to think of you as crazy? Crazy the way Hester Goodale was crazy?
    "Do you want everyone up home to think of you as a coward who ran under fire?
    "Do you want to disgrace the both of us so that we can never hold up our heads again?
    "Do you want to give the Page Girls something on us that they can really talk about?
    "You do what Mother says, dear. Have I ever steered you a false course?"

So Norman relented and went along with this, faking a bad leg (though Dr. Matthew Swain noticed, and discovered the truth, though he never revealed it publicly) until his leg "got better." Afterwards he went and got a job at the Peyton Place Newspaper, where he worked as a combination bookkeeper and circulation manager. "He worked faithfully every day and carried his pay check home to his mother, uncashed, at the end of every week." And that was basically the end of Norman's story in the book (sadly, the library doesn't have the sequel; I may end up buying it).

So in Season 3, the same basic plotline happens: Norman gets drafted (or he intentionally goes off to war; which could work, seeing as how this is the year when Allison has disappeared; perhaps the romantic in him believes he's going after her?), but can't handle things and gets discharged for the same reasons. But Evelyn Page is mortified by her son's actions and covers everything up, manipulating/bullying him to go along with her deception. Norman is treated as a war hero when he returns to Peyton Place, which he knows he doesn't deserve.

Instead of going to work at the newspaper (he probably ends up doing that in Season 5 or 6), Norman decides to attend the Peyton Place College, where he meets Paul Hanley. After getting to know Paul, Norman ends up confiding in him what really happened in 'Nam. Paul agrees to keep Norman's secret, knowing he could get in trouble with the Army authorities if they found out.

But that's why (again, along with accidentally killing his mother) I think it's important for Norman to save Allison's life in Season 5. Just so he can finally get a deserved "hero" moment.

With both Lee and Chris dead, Sandy Webber decides to leave Peyton Place for good, though Allison wonders if anything will happen to bring Sandy back, like how it did for Allison: "Peyton Place has a way of drawing people in... and keeping them in."

17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, when Paul Hanley is murdered in Season 4, perhaps it was because Lee Webber found out and blabbed that he was gay? Thus giving another reason for Norman being the one to push Lee off the bluffs the following year! :D

18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Btw, did you ever see the TV series "Return to Peyton Place"? It was a '70s daytime soap, supposed to be a continuation of the original TV series, though it lasted only 2 years. I can't find any clips on youtube (yet), although wiki did summarize a few key plots. One which I took interest in was Allison's plot:

"Allison returned to town following an absence of three years, during which time she had seen life. A mysterious figure, Benny Tate, follows her and they marry. Benny, however, was suffering from a terminal disease and told his brother Jason about this, explaining he could no longer be with Allison. Instead of helping his brother, Jason followed Benny to town and took Benny's identity. Unlike Benny, Jason was very tough and treated Allison very badly. The constant beating led Allison to a drug addiction, which she eventually kicked. Nevertheless, she retained her vulnerability. She started working for the town newspaper and was involved in an ecology project.

One day, Allison decided she had had enough and tried to run from Jason, whom she still thought was Benny. He decided to take revenge by kidnapping her, taking Allison to a cabin by the lake. There, Allison took LSD, and during a psychedelic experience, she took Elliot's gun and shot at Benny. Afterwards, she escaped from the cabin and looked for help nearby. Sometime later, she found out the cabin was burned down, with a body still inside. Allison admitted she shot Benny and was charged with second degree murder.

To avoid Allison being sentenced, Rodney went back to the village where the cabin was situated. He met Benny and Jason's mother Zoe, who knew that Allison had actually been living with Jason, but thought that Allison was aware of this. Benny eventually confessed to the murder of his brother, explaining he found out about Jason's scheme shortly after Allison's arrival at the cabin. He traveled to the cabin to confront his brother, and following a fight, shot Jason to death. Shortly after admitting the truth, Benny died from his disease and Allison was released from prison."

While I haven't quite decided if Benny/Jason could feature in the remake, this storyline did inspire me for the episode where Lee Webber tries to kill Allison. I'm thinking that Allison throws a party at Dr. Rossi's beach house (with his permission, of course), inviting all her close friends and a few not-so-close ones, Lee being of the latter. While there, Lee convinces everyone to take LSD. While everyone more or less blacks out, Lee then wheels Allison outside, and heads towards the bluffs to push her off.

Thankfully, Norman hadn't taken any (though he had pretended to, just to "look cool" :lol:), and neither did Sandy (either she was aware of her husband's intentions, or she just didn't trust him enough in the first place), so they're able to go after Lee and stop him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Have you ever seen this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If a remake ever did come to fruition, I'd want to do what "Downton Abbey" did and have the actual cast play out a parody of themselves. Just to say, "We made of ourselves FIRST!" :lol:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    I don't think it was ever rerun on television, so if an episode should ever appear on YouTube it would be a recording of the 1970s broadcastings.
    I have no interest in it although I probably would have watched some episodes, out of curiosity.
    But then again, I did watch the 1977 movie Murder In Peyton Place , and it was so bad I wish I could un-see it!
    Oh the horror, the sacrilege! How dare they!