Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I read the storylines, and while some were kind've creative, others... not so much. I hated the storyline they gave to Constance/Michael/Elliot/Selena Cross (poor girl; the first time the character gets to be on TV and she gets stuck with Dr. Rossi as a love interest - and he, after marrying her, tries to get Constance to divorce Elliot to run off with him! Yuck). But I would be curious to watch a few clips, just to see what kind of "feel" the show had.

Hah, I only watched the scene where Constance is informed of Allison and Rodney's deaths. From that moment, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. Because while it was nice seeing Dorothy Malone in the role again, I hated how they killed off Allison and Rodney when they had recast all the OTHER characters. I mean I can understand killing them off in "The Next Generation" since the show-makers thought Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal would be too expensive (except they never bothered ASKING), and the whole series was running on there being the whole original cast...

:lol: Yes, what cheek! What insolence! They should go to their rooms and have a time-out.

Although, I have to say, the way how they drew Betty in that one panel where Dr. Rossi and Matthew Swain are talking about her, she looks really pretty there. :D

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Have you seen the 80s movie Return To Peyton Place? It wasn't great and it was all very rushed but I think it had a good atmosphere for a modern Peyton Place.
    According to wiki they had hoped to turn this reunion movie into a new prime time soap but alas, it didn't work out that way.

3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Hang on, are you sure you're not talking about "Peyton Place: The Next Generation"?

That was the one I was talking about in my last post (well, I was talking about "Murder in Peyton Place" too, but still). While I did appreciate how they introduced Allison's daughter by having the old gang mistake her for her mother, I'm still bitter at how they never bothered to ask Mia Farrow or Ryan O'Neal if they'd be interested in coming back - and if they'd reduce their salaries since obviously they didn't have much to spend. If both actors had said no, then fine... but they didn't even ASK! And not only that, but they just unceremoniously kill the characters off too - AGAIN! Argh...

But yeah, I guess they did have a good atmosphere, but I never liked how the town looked. It looked too crowded, a bit too... modern? It didn't feel like a small town, it felt too crowded. It lacked the quiet quaintness the original town had. Plus there's the fact that the new show forgot that Constance and Elliot had a SON in the original series, yet here we have a daughter who's grown up resentful of Allison's memory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson A discovery I made: someone made a map of Peyton Place (the version from the book; I don't know if anyone made one of the TV's version).

Peyton Place Map.png

However, since it was pretty small, and I couldn't find a bigger version, I did some re-sizing. As well as putting in some clearer text so you can make out what's what.

Peyton Place Map2.png

Unfortunately, there were some words that I just couldn't make out, so they'll have to remain ambiguous for now.

5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Wasn't she Jill & Joe Rossi's daughter in the 60s series?:lmao:

6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    What's so funny? ^^

7. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, no, I think the new writers just forgot (or ignored) that Constance and Elliot had a son because they wanted a female rivalry between their daughter and Allison's daughter. Except I don't remember it having much effect on the story...

8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, @Willie Oleson , regarding the map of Peyton Place, if you were to add in some of the iconic areas from the TV series (ie, the bluffs, Dr. Rossi's beach house, the big white gazebo, the docks, etc), where would you put them? :)

9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Welp, I ended up making up my own map of Peyton Place, basing it mostly off the one for the book but adding in elements from the TV series. Its *very* rough, but I think it paints a pretty clear picture (no pun intended).

Peyton Place Map4.png

Not only that, but this ended up inspiring me for further details on how Marion Partridge dies:

Her husband, Charles, who was described in the book as being a pacifist, reaches the end of his rope in Season 7 and turns on his wife (I was thinking that maybe he discovered that, the whole time they were married, she was taking birth control pills - only did they have those back in the '60s?) and starts strangling her. He gets a hold of himself, however, and lets go. But a panicked Marion stumbles out of her house, jumps into her car and pulls out, zooming down Chestnut St (which was regarded in the book as the "best" street in Peyton Place, because that was where the richest townfolk lived).

Everyone on the street hears the car, especially Alma Miles, who, sitting on her porch reading, sees it zipping around the corner onto Beech St. She hurries out onto the sidewalk to watch what's going on, along with a few other residents who hear.

And then, as Marion floors it towards Elm St (the main street of Peyton Place), an unsuspecting car appears from around the corner. Both swerve to avoid hitting each other. The other car is fine, but Marion's car crashes right into the iconic white gazebo. Her neck is thrown against the steering wheel, breaking it.

All along Elm St, which includes Constance, Allison, and the rest of the main cast, gather around to stare in shock at the wreckage. And of course, the man who was in the other car is looking around in a mild daze... and both Constance and Allison realize he's the man from the photograph who stood in as "Mr. MacKenzie" for 16 years.

10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson What do you think of the idea of making the Chernak family black? Do you suppose that could work? It certainly would make Stella a bit more interesting: a 40-something-year-old black female biochemist, living in the 1960s; and she got her education despite coming from a poor background... I mean, there's Harry Miles, who's both black and a neurosurgeon, and he's from the original TV series! So that could work for Stella. Plus, I was originally thinking of keeping it so that Stella has a romance with Dr. Rossi, only now I'm thinking she instead has an emotional affair with Harry Miles, for whom I haven't been able to come up with any other storylines for the first season, poor guy. :lol: