Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I read the storylines, and while some were kind've creative, others... not so much. I hated the storyline they gave to Constance/Michael/Elliot/Selena Cross (poor girl; the first time the character gets to be on TV and she gets stuck with Dr. Rossi as a love interest - and he, after marrying her, tries to get Constance to divorce Elliot to run off with him! Yuck). But I would be curious to watch a few clips, just to see what kind of "feel" the show had.

Hah, I only watched the scene where Constance is informed of Allison and Rodney's deaths. From that moment, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. Because while it was nice seeing Dorothy Malone in the role again, I hated how they killed off Allison and Rodney when they had recast all the OTHER characters. I mean I can understand killing them off in "The Next Generation" since the show-makers thought Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal would be too expensive (except they never bothered ASKING), and the whole series was running on there being the whole original cast...

:lol: Yes, what cheek! What insolence! They should go to their rooms and have a time-out.

Although, I have to say, the way how they drew Betty in that one panel where Dr. Rossi and Matthew Swain are talking about her, she looks really pretty there. :D

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,953
    Have you seen the 80s movie Return To Peyton Place? It wasn't great and it was all very rushed but I think it had a good atmosphere for a modern Peyton Place.
    According to wiki they had hoped to turn this reunion movie into a new prime time soap but alas, it didn't work out that way.

3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Hang on, are you sure you're not talking about "Peyton Place: The Next Generation"?

That was the one I was talking about in my last post (well, I was talking about "Murder in Peyton Place" too, but still). While I did appreciate how they introduced Allison's daughter by having the old gang mistake her for her mother, I'm still bitter at how they never bothered to ask Mia Farrow or Ryan O'Neal if they'd be interested in coming back - and if they'd reduce their salaries since obviously they didn't have much to spend. If both actors had said no, then fine... but they didn't even ASK! And not only that, but they just unceremoniously kill the characters off too - AGAIN! Argh...

But yeah, I guess they did have a good atmosphere, but I never liked how the town looked. It looked too crowded, a bit too... modern? It didn't feel like a small town, it felt too crowded. It lacked the quiet quaintness the original town had. Plus there's the fact that the new show forgot that Constance and Elliot had a SON in the original series, yet here we have a daughter who's grown up resentful of Allison's memory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson A discovery I made: someone made a map of Peyton Place (the version from the book; I don't know if anyone made one of the TV's version).

Peyton Place Map.png

However, since it was pretty small, and I couldn't find a bigger version, I did some re-sizing. As well as putting in some clearer text so you can make out what's what.

Peyton Place Map2.png

Unfortunately, there were some words that I just couldn't make out, so they'll have to remain ambiguous for now.

5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,953
    Wasn't she Jill & Joe Rossi's daughter in the 60s series?:lmao:

6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    What's so funny? ^^

7. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, no, I think the new writers just forgot (or ignored) that Constance and Elliot had a son because they wanted a female rivalry between their daughter and Allison's daughter. Except I don't remember it having much effect on the story...

8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Also, @Willie Oleson , regarding the map of Peyton Place, if you were to add in some of the iconic areas from the TV series (ie, the bluffs, Dr. Rossi's beach house, the big white gazebo, the docks, etc), where would you put them? :)

9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson Welp, I ended up making up my own map of Peyton Place, basing it mostly off the one for the book but adding in elements from the TV series. Its *very* rough, but I think it paints a pretty clear picture (no pun intended).

Peyton Place Map4.png

Not only that, but this ended up inspiring me for further details on how Marion Partridge dies:

Her husband, Charles, who was described in the book as being a pacifist, reaches the end of his rope in Season 7 and turns on his wife (I was thinking that maybe he discovered that, the whole time they were married, she was taking birth control pills - only did they have those back in the '60s?) and starts strangling her. He gets a hold of himself, however, and lets go. But a panicked Marion stumbles out of her house, jumps into her car and pulls out, zooming down Chestnut St (which was regarded in the book as the "best" street in Peyton Place, because that was where the richest townfolk lived).

Everyone on the street hears the car, especially Alma Miles, who, sitting on her porch reading, sees it zipping around the corner onto Beech St. She hurries out onto the sidewalk to watch what's going on, along with a few other residents who hear.

And then, as Marion floors it towards Elm St (the main street of Peyton Place), an unsuspecting car appears from around the corner. Both swerve to avoid hitting each other. The other car is fine, but Marion's car crashes right into the iconic white gazebo. Her neck is thrown against the steering wheel, breaking it.

All along Elm St, which includes Constance, Allison, and the rest of the main cast, gather around to stare in shock at the wreckage. And of course, the man who was in the other car is looking around in a mild daze... and both Constance and Allison realize he's the man from the photograph who stood in as "Mr. MacKenzie" for 16 years.

10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson What do you think of the idea of making the Chernak family black? Do you suppose that could work? It certainly would make Stella a bit more interesting: a 40-something-year-old black female biochemist, living in the 1960s; and she got her education despite coming from a poor background... I mean, there's Harry Miles, who's both black and a neurosurgeon, and he's from the original TV series! So that could work for Stella. Plus, I was originally thinking of keeping it so that Stella has a romance with Dr. Rossi, only now I'm thinking she instead has an emotional affair with Harry Miles, for whom I haven't been able to come up with any other storylines for the first season, poor guy. :lol:

11. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    @Willie Oleson @Toni I have come up with rough drafts for how I'd do all 30 episodes of the 1st season of Peyton Place.

Yes, *all 30.*

I ended up having to copy a lot of stuff from the original show, but I did change things up in an effort to make them seem more original. Besides these are only rough drafts, anyway. Also, a lot of them focus on only half of what the episode could be about, because I was too lazy to think up more stuff, and didn't want to wait any longer to share.

So, without further ado, here is Season 1 (and I'll be posting each episode one at a time, just to see what kind of reactions they all have).

Episode 01 - "Peyton Place, USA" - (Summer, 1962) Dr. Michael Rossi arrives from New York City to set up practice in Peyton Place; Newspaper editor Matthew Swain tells him people usually try to get away from towns like Peyton Place, not move to them; Matthew introduces Michael to his cousin, Constance MacKenzie; there's an instant spark between the two, though Constance is quick to pull away; later, Constance walks in on her daughter, Allison, lovingly talking about her day to the photograph of her "father"; Paul Cross leaves town, angry over his father stealing his wages for booze; Paul's stepsister, Selena, comes over to talk about this with Allison; Dr. Rossi sees his first patient, Catherine Peyton Harrington, and realizes she's in need of emergency surgery for her potentially fatal perforated ulcer; meanwhile, Catherine's stepson, Rodney, and his girlfriend, Betty Anderson, have sex for the first time after skinny-dipping; Rodney, wanting to brag to his father, walks in on Leslie and Julie making out on his desk; because of that, Rodney decides he can't go out with Betty anymore; as Dr. Rossi is prepping for surgery, Dr. Robert Morton arrives and tries to obstruct him from performing the emergency surgery, believing it to be unnecessary; the end result is that Catherine Harrington dies.

12. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 02 - "A Mother's Love" - Dr. Morton threatens to destroy Rossi over Catherine's death and uses the autopsy process to frame him out of his admitting and operating privileges---until Rossi discovers the pathologist, Dr. Bradford, made a critical error; the funeral of Catherine Harrington is held (Marion Partridge is one of the more dramatic mourners); later, at the reading of Catherine's will, it is revealed that she is the real owner of the mill, and should her father, Martin Peyton, succeed her in life, ownership would be given to him; Leslie furiously says he will contest the will, enlisting the aid of his lawyer, Charles Partridge; a flashback reveals how Catherine came to be the mill's owner:

One night Leslie returned home from work to find Rodney asleep on the couch - drugged - with Catherine sitting next to him, holding a knife to his throat with one hand, while her other hand pointed a gun at Leslie; on the table between them, were legal documents giving her ownership of the mills - all Leslie would have to do is sign them; after he does so, she steps away from Rodney, and, still holding the gun on her husband, picks up the papers so they can be processed, while Leslie anxiously kneels over his son;

Leslie has no idea why Catherine did what she did, but he intends on getting his mill away from Martin Peyton, who condescendingly says he'll allow Leslie to remain as its "manager"; meanwhile, Rodney asks Allison out; they learn quite a bit about each other: he confesses he's glad his stepmother is dead and that its just him and his father now (they've taken up residence back in the Harrington house, leaving behind the Peyton Castle), and Allison confesses she's wondered, guiltily, what it would have been like if her mother had been the one who died, and not her father; Allison later declares she's never going to get married, she's only going to have lovers, which surprises and intrigues Rodney, who realizes there's more to Allison than he thought; Constance makes it quite clear she does not approve of Allison dating Rodney.

13. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 03 - "The Twist" - Pressured by Dr. Rossi's relentless effort to clear himself, Dr. Bradford confesses he faked Catherine's autopsy report to Dr. Morton, who informs Leslie of the truth; Martin Peyton learns of the truth as well, and hires somebody to bump off Bradford; despite Dr. Rossi urging him not to leave Peyton Place or the hospital, Dr. Morton leaves town, fearful of what Martin Peyton might do to him if he sticks around; Rodney takes Allison to The Shoreline, where Betty tries to get Rodney's attention by dancing erotically for him (practically giving him a lap-dance); Allison fights back by hitching up her skirt and dancing just as erotically, until it becomes a dance competition between both girls (the song "The Twist" plays); Selena Cross and Ted Carter are also there, acting quite flirtatiously with one another; later on, in her shack home, Selena lies in her cot and listens miserably to the horrible sounds of Lucas and Nellie having sex; Leslie Harrington, who is also on the school board, is informed that Abner Firth, principal of Peyton Place High School, dropped dead of a heart attack that morning, meaning they must hire a new principal before school starts; Michael Rossi goes into Constance's bookstore to buy a new book, but it's really just to see her again - now that the pressure is off him, he feels free to pursue her.

14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 04 - "Guess Who's Coming to Peyton Place" - The Miles family arrives and moves onto Chestnut St (the wealthiest street in town); Harry Miles has come to replace Dr. Morton; he and Michael hit it off; Marion Partridge at first seems horrified to have a black family living on her street - till she takes stock of Alma's fashionable clothes, her exquisite jewelry, her luxurious furniture, and decides that the Miles are more than welcome in Peyton Place, giving them the "You're a Credit to Your Race" treatment, which Alma treats with barely concealed disdain (that Marion doesn't notice); Alma fears she won't make a single girlfriend in this town, but goes into Constance's bookstore, and hits it off with her; Allison and Rodney, out on a walk, cross paths with Norman Page, whom Rodney makes fun of, though Allison tells him to stop; the three then run into Lew Miles and introduce themselves; Norman seems fascinated by Lew, though he doesn't really know why; Rodney and Lew are the third duo of the day to "hit it off"; Rodney even introduces Lew to Joanne Walker, the only black girl in town; later on, Norman returns home, where his mother, Evelyn, grills him about all the people he spoke to while he was out, giving him grief before bursting into tears and going on about how he'll be better off once she's dead, and he'll have to live with his half-sisters, the Page Girls, Carolyn and Charlotte, causing Norman to burst into hysterical tears himself and desperately promising his mother that he loves her and her alone - which obviously satisfies Evelyn, who promises she'll never leave her son.

15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 05 - "Very Glad to Know You" - Desperate for a new principal and unwilling to promote teacher Elsie Thorton to the position (Marion Partridge, also on the school board, agrees with that decision, declaring Miss Thorton to be "senile" and a "hypochondriac", though Matthew Swain points out that Marion has quite a few pills herself, and that she's the same age as Elsie, 45, though Marion insists she's 36 - the same age as Constance) , Leslie hires Tomas Kyros of New York, who's even louder, brasher and more dominant than Leslie himself; Leslie also ends up introducing Tomas to Constance when the three cross paths at Hyde's Diner, and like with Michael Rossi, there's an instant attraction ("Very glad to know you, baby," Tomas thinks); meanwhile, the Schuster family (David, Doris and their 8-year-old deaf-mute daughter Kim), who have been living in town for a couple of years, is having some family drama of its own; David is either bored with, or preoccupied with running the bank; Doris misses the days when she was a glamorous New York socialite (a factor for which why Marion Partridge fawns over her so much - more so than ever, now that Catherine Harrington is gone); and Kim is increasingly resentful of her mother; after a fight with Doris, Kim runs away and gets lost in the woods - but is found and comforted by Allison, who returns her home; the Schusters are extremely grateful to Allison - particularly David, who gives Allison a certain look... that says, "Very glad to know you."

16. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 06 - "Rodney the Menace" - (the first day of school) Allison, Rodney, Selena, Ted, Norman, Lew, and Betty all attend their homeroom, run by Miss Thorton; Rodney is obnoxious in class, angering Miss Thorton, who secretly despises him; later on, Betty reveals to Rodney that she is pregnant, and that she wants him to marry her; Rodney tells this to Leslie, but says he doesn't want to marry Betty; Leslie tells his son not to worry, that he'll take care of things; Leslie has George Anderson come to his office at the mill, revealing Betty's condition and giving him a check worth $1000 to "take care of things"; Betty, with a bruised face (compliments to her father) storms into Leslie's office with the check and throws it back at him, demanding that Rodney marry her; Leslie writes her another check - this time for $500 - except only the audience knows what he's done: Betty never even looks at the new check, opting to tear it right up, again demanding that Rodney marry her; Leslie tells her that he could have her arrested for prostitution, and it wouldn't be hard for him to get witnesses; Betty then takes Leslie's hand and puts it on her stomach, telling him, "This is your grandchild. This is Rodney's child. Why would you do this to him?" This causes Leslie to have second thoughts, and after confirming with Rodney that he really and truly doesn't want to marry Betty, decides to simply provide for her and the child himself; although Betty pretends to accept this offer, she threatens Rodney that she'll tell Allison about the baby; Rodney retaliates by simply going over to Allison's house and telling her point-blank; Allison is shocked and says she's not sure if she can continue seeing Rodney; Constance gives Allison the "I told you so!" treatment.

17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 07 - "Good Impressions" - Allison witnesses Lucas beat Selena; he almost rapes her, but gets distracted when Allison screams; Lucas puts on a friendly act but Selena, putting on a different top (he had ripped open her previous shirt), leads Allison and Joey away from the shack; they don't make it too far before Allison vomits from the shock; Martin Peyton, learning about Rodney's love-child, meets with Betty, and is reminded of Catherine; therefore, he insists that Rodney marry Betty: "I won't have any bastards affiliated with my family!" Leslie tries to get Martin to agree to sign the mill back over to him if he can get Rodney to marry Betty, but Martin will make no such agreement; Constance and Alma go out to lunch together, discussing the possibility of Constance starting a book club, when they are approached by Michael Rossi and Tomas Kyros - at different times; Doris Schuster is already bored with life in Peyton Place, but after meeting Constance in her bookstore, becomes inspired to start her own business, and decides to open a dress shop; after all, she's tired of seeing so many badly-dressed people in Peyton Place, it might as well be up to her to "spruce things up."

18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 08 - "Sex and the Single Girl" - Doris Schuster opens her dress shop; Selena gets a job there; Allison becomes Kim's babysitter at David's suggestion, causing Doris to eye her husband suspiciously; the store is an instant success with nearly all the women in town, particularly Marion Partridge, who greedily buys as many new dresses as she can; meanwhile, Rodney finally reveals to Betty why he broke up with her in the first place: he saw his father and her mother in a passionate embrace; Betty is furious with her mother and confronts her; Julie points out how her husband is an aggressive man, and takes out his frustrations on her; this is discovered by Dr. Michael Rossi, who threatens to expose George if he doesn't get his act together; Julie and Betty persuade George to go into therapy.

19. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 09 - "Leave it to Rodney" - Principal Kyros and Miss Thorton have a meeting with Rodney and really get on his case about doing better in school; later, Betty jumps into Rodney's car, where she tries to convince him that marrying her would be a good thing; she even goes so far as to un-button her blouse, revealing one of her large breasts, and starts pleasuring herself; Rodney becomes distracted while driving and begins fondling her - and only notices another car coming towards them when Betty screams; the car crashes, and the two are rushed to Peyton Place hospital, where Betty miscarries; Allison, who had taken Kim and Doris to a puppet show (put on by Lee Suen Yoowing and other members of the Drama Club), hears about the accident and rushes over to see if Rodney is alright; he sadly - and guiltily - confesses to her that he's glad he no longer has an obligation to marry Betty... but he's still sad his child had to die; Allison tells Rodney she doesn't want to lose him, and the two restart their relationship; George Anderson blames Rodney for the whole thing and threatens to kill him if Betty doesn't fully recover; fortunately Dr. Rossi announces that Betty looks like she will indeed make a full recovery, but Leslie decides to keep an eye on George.

20. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Episode 10 - "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" - While Rodney and Betty recover in the hospital, Lew Miles and Allison get assigned together for a project; they decide to do a paper on how Peyton Place got its name; they trek up to Peyton Castle where they interview Martin Peyton, who gives them the history of the town founder, Samuel Peyton; Doris Schuster, jealous over how her husband is obviously in love with Allison, when she sees the girl with Lew Miles, spreads a rumor about them being secret lovers - and she starts by telling Marion Partridge, who wastes no time in spreading it like wildfire; Constance and Alma hear the rumor and confront each other, but manage to remain calm, rational and adult about the subject; eventually they confront their respective children, who reassure their mothers that it isn't true.