1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Character Could Sue Ellen's film ever be released...?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Apr 19, 2017.

1. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +928
    In the show, of course.

Don Lockwood is dead, J.R gas gone to the great oil platform in the sky...but who now would actually own the film?

Sue Ellen financed it and produced, but surely someone could find it and have it released (probably straight to DVD)...?

2. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +290
    She was with JR when he died so doubtful
    Probably just wants to get on now and forget the bad times
    I wonder if she had a dream sequence filmed though.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    Sue Ellen should have offered more of an explanation for why the movie was being shelved temporarily, because the financiers who backed the film would have surely something to say about it. She should have conveyed some industry politics jibber-jabber in her explanation to JR about the delay of its release, but still used it as a threat.

And once he and Cally were on the outs, Sue Ellen should have indeed released the film. Imagine the scandal that would have caused in the final season, even though Sue Ellen is off the show, if she had ordered from London the release of the movie. It would sure beat Leann Dela Lucci and whatnot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +928
    Oh I don't think Sue Ellen would release it now, but I'm not sure she actually owns it, so someone else could potentially do so.

That could have been great for the final season!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    Well yeah it was sort of a disappointment how the movie was just shelved for a later occasion and then never revisited. I like the idea of it coming out in the last season as it would have made Sue Ellen more of a presense on the show even though she had moved to England.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Back then, it would be hard because it would need a distributor, and the time it takes to do that, people would lawyer up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Even if Sue Ellen was not present if Le Ann or somebody else had power over the film it could have gave it more creedance

8. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +744
    I don't believe Sue Ellen would have ever actually released the film, purely for John Ross' sake.

However, if she had, it could have been a fabulous entrance into the reveal that Kristin was Christopher's mother - because surely the film included J.R. and Kristin's affair? I really feel like the writers missed out on that conversation between Bobby, Christopher and Sue Ellen (J.R. and John Ross, too) - the same can be said for TNT writers, but that's no surprise since they had very little respect for Dallas history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    The plot was flawed from the get-go, imho, because it did not seem plausible Sue Ellen would out John Ross through this humiliation. I think it would have turned Bobby, Miss Ellie, and Clayton against her if she released it.(But that should have happened a year earlier when she shot JR.)

10. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    And who spends the money on a film that they have no interest in releasing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    That someone would need the legal permission of Sue Ellen to release it, otherwise it's a felony. Of course, if she had any regard for her son, who loved his father, she would never have authorized it's release. Releasing it would hurt John Ross far more than it ever could have hurt JR. That's the problem with people who live for revenge - they just hurt more innocent people along the way.

12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if some real life producer/writer team nicked the idea of Sue Ellen making a movie about JR's shenanigans and created a new series. It would be like some twilight version of Dallas inside Dallas using today's high production values but based on the original series. While Dallas may have commenced in 1978 I'd start the new series way back when JR first met Sue Ellen at the beauty contest. While some of the stories will be based on what we witnessed in Lorimar Dallas we could have new scenes and dialogue. For example rather than see the incident of JR being shot at Ewing Oil we watch the characters (being portrayed by new actors) filling in some of the blanks leading up to the shooting.

Picture opening credits however we see only Linda Gray's name. Sue Ellen is wandering the corridors of Southfork. Feeling lonely on the anniversary of JR's death. She makes her way into the living room and settles on the lounge. Her smartphone buzzes. She picks it up and reads a text however we're not privy to it. She picks up the remote and presses the Netflix button. On the main screen we see a thumbnail named Dallas. Sue Ellen selects it and settles back.

....and the story begins.

13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    On TNT "D-agh-llas" Judith would probably buy the movie and add some scenes with her employees doing X-rated things...Then she would release them and take Sue Ellen back to the bottle again. Because, you know, she was a mean old drunk. Thanks Soap Gods for not allowing this to happen in the Cider House world...

[​IMG]

"And I want an Ann double to play the biggest hooker of all: that one who slept with Cliff!"​

14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    Was the movie of Val's Capricorn Crude ever completed or aired? That sort of played out in the background without being a major plot point. It would have been interesting to see the reaction to that at Southfork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    I didn't think it was plausible that she shot JR because she wouldn't have deprived her son of having a father. If they'd had Linda Gray there, it would have been fun to see her release the movie and then see everyone turn against Sue Ellen for making Ewing private business public and especially for hurting John Ross.

I thought the movie was a bad idea to begin with because how are you going to humiliate JR by portraying him as devious or cruel when he'd said those were his two favorite words and he enjoyed having the reputation he did? Remember him telling Sly how the great thing about having a reputation like he did was that people always thought he was behind everything anyway? I don't think the movie would have been taken seriously anyway. It was made by a bitter ex-wife who had been an adulteress, a drunk, even drank heavily while pregnant, spent time in a sanitarium, almost killed her unborn baby by escaping from a sanitarium while drunk and driving into a telephone pole, and had attempted to murder the subject of the movie.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,066
    She did it, of course, to taunt JR with it. That's why she spent the money on it.

17. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    JR knew that he had a reputation for being a crooked, double dealing, devious man who was also a womanizer and he was well aware of it. If it ever bothered him, I didn't see it. I think he actually enjoyed having his reputation. Why would Sue Ellen's movie being released other him? Would it hurt his feelings? I doubt it.

The only consequence I see likely if Sue Ellen had released the movie is that Sue Ellen's relationship with John Ross would have gone rapidly downhill. John Ross was ht only one young enough to be adversely affected to any significant degree by the movie because he would be based at school about it, since children are, by definition, immature.

Sue Ellen, were she to release it, would also be possibly be at risk of having her custody privileges with John Ross being revoked, as it would show a blatant disregard for the well-being of her son. It would be like if JR had made a movie about Sue Ellen's alcoholism, her drunk driving including her part in Mickey Trotter's death, her attempted murder of her son's father (who her son loved) and her adultery.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    There's a difference in JR savoring his own ruthless, womanizing reputation locally around Dallas, and wanting it up on the big screen for all the world to see -- especially Sue Ellen's version of it.

But they did need to provide a better, obligatory business-blah-blah-blah explanation as to why Sue Ellen's movie was shelved other than just her desire to taunt him with it.

And once it was released after JR's marriage to Cally failed, we learn Sue Ellen and Ian McShane had optioned the rights to Valene's "Capricorn Crude" and included it in their final screenplay.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    It would've been a hoot to see "Swellen's movie" for real, with legitimate script and DALLAS characters, shot and saved for release after series cancellation.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    I think if you're comfortable with your reputation among everyone you know, you're probably not going to care what people who you don't know think of you. There is the issue of privacy though and in that regard, it would have been bad for the whole family.

As for good reasons to not release it, I don't know of a better reason to not release it than not wanting to cause harm to your son. It would have been such betrayal of John Ross for her to release it. It would have been like telling him: "I hate your father more than I love you."